“spirit mountain” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 39 Attractions in Duluth
Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas, Outdoors
Activities: Skiing
More attraction details
Owner description: Located just minutes from downtown Duluth, this popular ski and snowboard recreation area features a variety of terrain for all skill levels, along with great views on the way down of Lake Superior and the St. Louis Bay. What's more, it is friendly and service-oriented.
sd
3 attraction reviews
“spirit mountain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We only rode the Timber Twister which was a blast.....Intended to go back to do the rest but didn't make it. Maybe next time...I hope

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
6 attraction reviews
“Fun in the Sun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

A neat little find up in the hills! Went on a neat rollar coaster that only you control the speed! Also went on the Zip line which is made for two! A neat experience!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
9 attraction reviews
“Best in the Midwest for Snowboarding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Spirit Mt has the overall best, most unique, longest, and largest array of hills to ski/snowboard down in the winter. I've been to Upper Michigan, Mont De Lac, and Lutsen, and Spirit tops them all. Although I can imagine it does't compare to Upper California or Colorado at all, it is a good place to have some winter fun in Duluth. Suitable for families, but keep in mind there are a lot of young, thuggish type snowboarders. Most of them are completely undangerous -- it just seems to be a hotspot for youth because of the lack of other winter activities for kids in Duluth.

Visited February 2013
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
20 attraction reviews
“Do not brake!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We went on a Friday evening, and the wait time was very short.. 2 seats per cart (can ride single though).. seat belts for safety.. cart is attached to rails.. I would encourage to run at full speed through the ride (all momentum based).. dips and curves down the Duluth hillside.. very nice view of the harbor at one point.. ride is not very long (couple minutes), and you get ferried back up the hill while remaining in your cart, so no tiring walk back to the top.. staff very helpful as well..

Menomonie, Wisconsin
7 attraction reviews
“Super Fun for the Kids.....and Even for the Adults”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was our first visit to Spirit Mountain, and thus our first rides on the zip line and the alpine coaster. The kids had an absolute blast (ages 9 and 5) and even my parents (ages 68 and 71) experienced both attractions and enjoyed them! My daughter, who is 5, is somewhat apprehensive on county fair rides, and so I was a bit concerned about her willingness to participate, and then her reaction to the rides. She was an eager participant after learning that children as young as three could ride both the coaster and zip line (with an adult). The staff was informative (helping us chose the best package at the best price for our group) and John, in particular, who was operating both the coaster and zip line was fantastic! He joked with my dad about his Packer gear (as we were visiting from Wisconsin). He was great with the kids, full of personality, and very helpful with my mom (who has had two hip replacements) assisting her in getting up tot he seat on the zip line. We would go back just to see John, I think!

On the alpine coaster, you are in control of the speed, with a brake. The first ride with my daughter, I did apply the brake on some turns. However, during the second ride, she wanted to go full speed ahead - and we did! She had a blast! It was great fun - and there is even a lovely view if you take the time to notice it! The zip line is over quickly, but it is a bit of a rush, and supposedly got us up to speeds of 30 miles per hour, which may not sound very fast, but feels quite fast! My son, who is fearless when it comes to rides, really enjoyed both. Even my mom, who won't even go on the Ferris wheel at the fair went on both rides - and enjoyed them (despite some screaming on the zip line!). Overall, it was a quick trip up the mountain, fun for the kids, and something a bit different to try out!