“It is what it is...” 3 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Duluth
Prices are for rooms, adults
Ranked #30 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Minneapolis
“It is what it is...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2007

What do people expect for $36 - $60 per night? I stay there frequently and like it. I am in DLH at least 2 times a month and paying $150 and up in Canal Park is ridiculous for an average room. Steve, the owner, goes out of his way to make my stays good. It is close to Lake Walk, the freeway, fast food, downtown and North Shore access. C'mon folks, pay for more if you want more.

Everyroom has been as clean as it could be for the age of the motel.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Business
thunder bay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2007

Ok, so if you dont mind cigarette burns on your sheets, the floor,
and the furniture this is the place for you! Thank god we had our flipflops because you have to be crazy to step into the bathroom without them. This room was so filthy we went to walmart and bought new pillowcases and a blanket because the ones we got were disgusting. The only reason we stayed here was because it was cheap, 32$, still way too much for this place. With the money we spent on new sheets and pillowcases we couldve stayed at a better hotel but honestly we were too lazy.
Anyways, bottom line is, this place is cheap but I would rather sleep under a bridge then go back there!

• Liked — honetly, the best thing about this place is it made me laugh - I couldnt believe the low standards
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St. Paul, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2006

Stayed here with my child for two nights because of the low rate of $65 per night. I was glad to have my flip flops so that my bare feet did not touch the filthy carpet. The rest of the room was clean including the bathroom which was quite nice. The sheets are old but clean. Noise from the traffic on London Road and 18th Ave made it hard to sleep without the air conditioner humming. The owners live on site and are nice but why they can't get the carpet cleaned is beyond me. They do have cable TV -- a thrill for my daughter who does not have it at home.

Stayed June 2006
minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

if you are a bargin hunter like me,this is the place for you.the hotel is an older one.the rooms are clean. everything works,there is cable.it is very close to many of the attractions.i will go back again.

• Stayed April 2006
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2005

This Hotel I would not recomend, the first thing we noticed when we got our room was that the door lock was not very secure, they do not supply shampoo and such, nor a clock (which is NOT the biggest deal) the biggest deal came when we were going to go to bed and noticed the sheets had not been cleaned at all!
three words,'The Chalet Nasty'.

• Stayed May 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2004

My boyfriend and I go up to the north shore ever year for New Year's. The past few years, we have stayed at Cliff 'N Shore, in Two Harbors and had a phenomenal experience. We did not reserve in time to go there this year, so we skipped going up north and instead decided to go over Valentine's Day weekend. It turns out that Cliff 'N Shore closed, because the owner has decided not to keep it running (she is getting old), so we had to find a new place. I spent almost three hours one day trying to find a place for us to stay. When I was just about at my whit's end, I found what I thought to be quite a good possibility with the Chalet Motel in Duluth. Despite reading a bad review (along with two better ones), I decided to go for it. I wanted to be sure that it was the right place, because I knew how upset my boyfriend was that we were not going to the usual place. I asked lots of questions - the most important being, "does the room look out on the lake?" The woman who booked our reservation was extremely nice and helpful and was very excited about the room. She assured me that I would love the room and that it looked out on the lake. When we got there, we realized that we could not see the lake at all. The wall that you would be able to see the lake from (sort of) had no windows on it whatsoever. The walls between rooms were very thin and there was a party of what seemed to be high school aged kids next door to us who woke us up at 2:30 a.m. They kept opening and closing the sliding deck doors as well, which makes a lot of noise and shakes the room. The room itself was alright, but the shower had a personality of its own. It was FAR too hot most of the time, but would suddenly become freezing cold for a minute or two. There was also no clock of any kind in the room. All in all, I would say that while our stay was not awful, it was not what we were looking for, and I would not return. If you are looking for a lake view, you will not find it here either. None of the rooms will give you a close view of the lake, and room #47 gives you no view at all.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2003

Chalet is a less expensive alternative to canal park. The hotel is always clean and neat, and the owners are nice and helpful. Its in a very good location, close to lakewalk, decent view of the lake, etc.
Also, pet friendly. When we want to get away for just a night or 2 on a small budget, this is where we call. Bring you own pillow though, theirs are a wee bit flat. :-)

Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Chalet Motel? Share your experiences!