“Wanted first floor lake side” 5 of 5 stars

350 Canal Park Drive, Duluth, MN 55802   |
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
GreenLeadersBronze level
minnesota
“Wanted first floor lake side”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We love this hotel and only stay here when we visit duluth, My husband had to live in this hotel for 2 years after 911 happened to guard the air bases. They were awesome! We are going next weekend for 2 nights and cant wait! Only downfall, I really wanted first floor lakeside but couldnt get it :( for labor day weekend. That was a big disappointment. Keep up the great work!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Madison, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband, two and half year old son, and my husband's parents and sister all traveled up to Duluth for a three day weekend. Its a great city to visit with a lot of family friendly stuff to do that is fairly inexpensive.

We were very pleased with our stay at the Inn on Lake Superior. They accommodated us with a suite that feature a main room and two separate sleeping areas (one of the rooms, which had two queen sized beds, was a separate room with a door that could be closed off from the main "living room"). This was perfect for putting our toddler down for naps and down for bed at night, so that we could close the door while the rest of us were still up talking or watching TV in the main living room. This room, unfortunately, was not on the Lake side and faced the parking lot... but having the room accommodate our toddler's sleep needs was worth it! : ) The only other thing I didn't like about the location of our room was that it was at the end of the hall, next to a stairwell and next to a door to the outside. This made for some noise whenever people came down the stairs or went through the door to the outside, which slammed rather loudly. Everything else about the hotel was great though. The staff were friendly and helpful, and even brought child safety outlet covers promptly to our room, upon request, as our little guy slept on the floor on an air mattress, right up against two outlets. The breakfast was good and offered a wide variety. The hotel also offered smores on their patio in the evenings from 8-10pm, which was a nice touch. The pool area was pretty nice. The pool can get a little crowded at times, but there was also a nice sized hot tub and sauna. The overall location of the hotel is great... right on the water and conveniently located across the street from shops and restaurants. Also in easy walking distance is the lift bridge where we saw two huge cargo ships come through the canal. Overall, we were very pleased with our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the lake side. Ask for a room away from hallway doors to the outside. Another ti...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear traveler518,

Thanks for choosing our hotel for your stay-cation, and for taking the time to write and post your comments. I'm sorry you were disturbed by noise from other guests and offer my apologies. We realize you have many choices when it comes to lodging, and we sincerely appreciate your business. I hope we can welcome you back and thank you in person soon.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Parking lot is monitored, so you actually have space to park on busy days. Smores at night out back by the lake-kids love it. Totally impressed by the breakfast-make your own waffles, cereal, fruit, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, oatmeal, variety of drinks. Front desk was accommodating, we asked to change to a room overlooking the lake, only smaller rooms were available, but at least they offered-we stuck to our city view. Rooms were spacious and clean-except the pull out bed. It had a huge gross stain on the mattress. We decided to cover it with a couple layers of the sheets provided and simply request additional bedding. The hot tub really needed a good scrubbing too, but otherwise pleased with the hotel. They have bikes including kids (8 &up) too-loved that.

Dear jena b,

I am so sorry for the poor conditions you found in the sofa bed and whirlpool and hope you will accept my sincere apologies. We value all guest feedback and use it to improve our operation so this does not continue or recur. I'm glad you were happy with other aspects of your stay and hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you here again.

Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We are a family of 5 who spent 3 nites at the Inn in mid-August. Our experience matched the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. The Inn is in a wonderful location to enjoy the lake and offers nice outdoor seating where we enjoyed breakfast in the morning and smores in the evening. We appreciated that the parking lot was monitored to ensure parking is available for guests. The rooms have been redone and the beds were very comfortable. The AC worked well and seemed quieter than other hotel rooms. We had a lakefront room on the 3rd floor which was amazingly quiet. We will return!

Room Tip: Lakefront view is a must!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear sportsmommn,

Thanks for writing and posting your review about your recent stay with us. I'm glad you you were happy with the service and accommodations we provide, and really appreciate you positive comments. I hope we can serve you here again soon.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Was only able to stay 1 night in Duluth and I'm glad this hotel was referred to us. I had 2 teenage boys on this trip and they took advantage of the complimentary bikes and rode around canal park for several hours. They also enjoyed the pools and the arcade center. Our room faced the city and was very clean -- comfortable beds & quite. The breakfast spread was fantastic -- the teenagers really enjoyed making their own waffles! The area is safe, close to shopping and restaurants, and within walking distance of the free Maritime museum and the lift bridge (was able to see 3 cargo ships pass through the canal -- highly recommended!

Room Tip: If you can afford the extra expense try to get a room on the lake side -- you will not be disappoint...
Dear alex t,

Thanks for choosing to stay at our hotel and for taking the time to write and post your comments and 5 star rating. There is a great deal to explore and experience in our area that is accessible by foot or bike, and I'm glad your family took advantage of the opportunities we provide. I hope we can welcome you back and serve you here again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Arrived on Aug 12 for 2 night stay. Our check in was delayed due to a staff issue between cleaning crew and front desk lack of communication. Also asked for room on 2nd floor which we didn't get. Rochelle at front desk was attentive to our frusteration and issued a discount for our inconvenience. Very pleased with our room-a king and a queen size bed plenty of room for family of 4. Beds were comfortable! Loved having access to bikes at no extra charge, plenty of sizes from kids to adult. Bikes were not junky! Food was good. Staff was friendly although they seemed short staffed at times. If you have some patience, this place is worth the wait! Great time in Duluth!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lori G,

I'm sorry for the waits you experienced during your visit with us and offer my sincere apologies. I appreciate your understanding, and have reviewed staffing levels to that this does not recur or continue. It is nice to know you enjoyed other aspects of your stay and hope you will be our guest again on a future trip to Duluth.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I will say the Inn On Lake Superior has been and is our place to stay. I usually make a reservation by phone. I recently did so getting a room for the Christmas Bentleyville lights coming up. I was quoted a price, but we did upgrade to the lake side view. Was told the Bentleyville discount was cheaper than the AARP discount. I did book the room. While playing on their webpage I was just checking out the fireplace room and noticed the same room we had booked was about 20.00 cheaper using the AARP discount ! I did cancel and take the cheaper room price of course.

When I called the hotel and asked how this happens, it appears the direct hotel reservation prices are different than the do it yourself reservations on line. This happened to me recently with another hotel. The person on the hotel reservation phone line told me straight out that we pay for them to make the reservation, and it is cheaper to do it yourself on line ! I guess I should have paid attention. Is it this way all over ? Not sure, but worth checking out. Just a heads up !

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear NorthShoreTraveler75,

Thanks so much for your loyalty to The Inn, and for sharing your comments about reservations and pricing. It often can be less expensive to make a reservation online, and I would say that is true for many brands. Most of the major franchises have a "best price guarantee" that makes sure the lowest advertised price is the lowest rate available to the public. There can be lower rates, that are discounted by membership to AARP or AAA, and for groups or special events, that are not published to the general public. I am sorry for any misunderstanding and frustration this caused and am available via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com if you would like to discuss this further. We appreciate your business hope we can serve you here again soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to The Inn On Lake Superior? Share your experiences!