“Just sharing some reservation information” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   350 Canal Park Drive, Duluth, MN 55802   |
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Just sharing some reservation information”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I will say the Inn On Lake Superior has been and is our place to stay. I usually make a reservation by phone. I recently did so getting a room for the Christmas Bentleyville lights coming up. I was quoted a price, but we did upgrade to the lake side view. Was told the Bentleyville discount was cheaper than the AARP discount. I did book the room. While playing on their webpage I was just checking out the fireplace room and noticed the same room we had booked was about 20.00 cheaper using the AARP discount ! I did cancel and take the cheaper room price of course.

When I called the hotel and asked how this happens, it appears the direct hotel reservation prices are different than the do it yourself reservations on line. This happened to me recently with another hotel. The person on the hotel reservation phone line told me straight out that we pay for them to make the reservation, and it is cheaper to do it yourself on line ! I guess I should have paid attention. Is it this way all over ? Not sure, but worth checking out. Just a heads up !

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear NorthShoreTraveler75,

Thanks so much for your loyalty to The Inn, and for sharing your comments about reservations and pricing. It often can be less expensive to make a reservation online, and I would say that is true for many brands. Most of the major franchises have a "best price guarantee" that makes sure the lowest advertised price is the lowest rate available to the public. There can be lower rates, that are discounted by membership to AARP or AAA, and for groups or special events, that are not published to the general public. I am sorry for any misunderstanding and frustration this caused and am available via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com if you would like to discuss this further. We appreciate your business hope we can serve you here again soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Our family of four - kids ages 11 and 9 - stayed here three nights for a little vacation before the end of our summer. We loved the location in Canal Park - close to the shops, restaurants, and right on the beautiful lake. We are breakfast eaters, so the complimentary breakfast was a great way to start out the day, and the s'mores on the patio at night were a great way to finish out the day's activities. We stayed in a room with a king bed, queen bed and pull-out sofa, so the kids each got their own beds! The room also had a fridge and microwave. This hotel offers very nice bikes to use at no charge. The hotel in general and our room were always very clean. I can't imagine coming to Duluth and staying anywhere else!

Dear Stephanie E,

Thanks for taking the time to make your very first TA review about your recent stay with us. We're very happy you and your family had a good time here, and that you'll be coming back to stay with us. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again.

Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband & I planned a last minute get-away to Duluth and were fortunate that the The Inn on Lake Superior had a cancellation during Bayfront Blue's Festival that we were able to snatch up. We were thrilled. We had never stayed at the property, but the reviews all looked great, so we thought we'd give it a try. I was happy to see that they had someone in the parking lot assigning parking ticket vouchers, as I was concerned that maybe we wouldn't have a dedicated parking spot. Glad to see that was taken care of ... we parked and never moved our car all weekend. We walked to everything from Friday through Sunday afternoon.

We checked into the hotel and went to see our room (a king size bridge view). The furnishings in the room were terrific ... modern and comfortable. We were pleased to see white cotton bedding instead of yucky typical hotel comforters you don't want to touch. The mini fridge with bottled water and pop was also a really nice touch. It's also great to have the additional TV in the living room area separate from the one in the BR area so that if someone wants to crash, then the other person can stay up and watch it in that space.

Complaints we had about our room were that we had a broken window (cracked glass) which obviously wasn't going to be repaired during our stay, and the windows wouldn't stay up for fresh air. That was tough as the only option for ventilation was running the air conditioning on high. We were unable to get the unit to function as just a fan. So it had to be freezing cold or stuffy in the room. The hotel, in general, is very quiet and soundproof. That's really nice. Unfortunately, we had a group of extremely loud and drunken neighbors, which the police came multiple times for on our second night.

The breakfast is great and changes a little each day. We weren't told about the smores by the front desk, so we missed out on that (bummer). But we found enough things to do on our own within walking distance in the canal area ... but we payed for those.

I would stay here again and probably bring my kids. There's a nice indoor pool area and certainly enough things in the area. It would be nice if the hotel offered some sort of a reward system for returning guests as an incentive to return to their property.

I noticed all of the staff were always busy cleaning or assisting guests (Mike S. in particular was extremely helpful in the breakfast area ... great job!).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear FuninsunMN,

Thank you for taking the time to write and submit your detailed review about your recent stay with us. I'm sorry for the poor conditions you found in your room, the noise caused by other guests and that our team didn't let you know about the complimentary s'mores we offer every evening, and hope you will accept my sincere apologies. We want to provide all our guests with the best in service, accommodations, facilities and amenities, and we take it very seriously when we learn that we have fallen short. We value all guest feedback and will use your comments in discussions and training to improve our operation. I hope you will give us another chance to regain your trust on a future visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights and were blown away. Not only was the City View awesome but they really offer so much from amazing breakfast, great pools (loved the roof top pool with view to the lift bridge), smores every night and easy access to the lake walk and happenings right in canal park. Everything is at walking distance and you cant beat the lake view. Staff is super friendly also.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear MichaelaZankl,

Thanks for posting your beautiful photos and nice review about our hotel. We apprecite you wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chatfield, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My sisters, mother and I had a wonderful 3 days in Duluth staying at The Inn. Our room didn't face the lake but the patio and lakewalk gave us ample opportunity to enjoy the view of the lake shore. The Inn is conveniently located close to a variety of restaurants, shops, etc. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the chance to reconnect.

Room Tip: "Bridge" rooms have a view of the interesting canal bridge but not a view of the lake.
Dear Lois D,

Thanks for choosing our hotel for your girls great getaway. There really is nothing more important than family (OK, good health is right up there, too), and I'm glad you all got to spend time and enjoy each other. I hope you will let us serve you here again.

Sioux Center, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the The Inn. We couldn't get a room facing the lake (the first to be taken, of course) but our view of the town was nice too. This hotel is in the busy area of canal park, close to shops, restaurants, and sites to visit. It is also right on the lake, with bike path, beach areas, piers with lighthouses and cool lift bridge all in walking distance. The hotel includes free bike rentals, which was a big savings to us with 3 kids, compared to the cost of renting bicycles from a vendor. The breakfast and pool were also wonderful, and smores on the beach in the evening was cool.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear E M,

Thanks for making your very first TA review about your recent stay with us. I'm glad you were happy with the service, accommodations and amenities we provide, and hope you will be our guest again soon.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed here with family in August, 2013. Our group had three rooms total for two nights. We arrived early in the morning around 10:30am, but (obviously) our room was not ready yet. We filled out all the required paperwork and took off to explore Canal Park and have lunch. When, we came back a little after 2:30, I was told that check in was at 3 and our room was still not ready yet. While waiting in the lobby, I noticed another couple was able to check in before 3 (about 2:45). Normally, it would not be that big of a deal, but my wife is pregnant and she just wanted to relax for a little bit. I travel a lot for work too and most hotels are very accommodating with getting me checked in to a room. I was surprised that this hotel could not come up with a solution for us. Plus, my interaction with the staff throughout the stay was always just "OK".

That being said, there are a lot of positives about this hotel. The location is great (right on Lake Superior and within walking distance of all the touristy places in Canal + Bayfront Park). If you need a bike, they will let you rent one of their bikes for free. If you are thirsty when you get back from sightseeing, grab a free water or soda from your mini fridge. They have entertainment and smores in the back of the hotel in the evenings from 8-10. The breakfast isn't bad either in the mornings.

I'm torn on whether I would stay here again. The little things are terrific. However, I'm tempted to try a few of the other hotels in the area next time I am in Duluth.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side of the building where their conference rooms are. The rooms seem bigger a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Robcation,

Thank you for taking the time to write and submit a review of our hotel. I am sorry you were unhappy with us during your stay. It is our goal to provide our guests with the utmost in service, comfort, cleanliness, value and facilities, and apologize that this was not the case with you. We appreciate all guest feedback and use it to improve our operation. I hope you will give us another chance to regain your trust the next time you are here.