“One of the best hotels in Duluth” 4 of 5 stars

350 Canal Park Drive, Duluth, MN 55802   |
Ranked #3 of 31 hotels in Duluth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Minnesota
“One of the best hotels in Duluth”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel doesn't really look like a traditional "Inn," but I think that's the point: this place is a staple of Canal Park as it should be!

The rates aren't cheap, but not a rip off either. Our room had a large flat screen TV, balcany with a view of the Gr8 Lake itself, and two very comfy beds.

I've stayed here twice, and can't think of any problems either time.

Small quips: the free breakfast has some good items, but some that taste truly artificial and full of chemicals. And no, I'm not an old lady complaining, I'm a male college student. Plus, the layout is sort of confusing and not in an aesthetic way (which I've seen and given a pass to for some larger, out of state hotels). However, if this is done to make sure they get more views of the lake and whatnot, then it's completely forgiven!

But those are small rants about an overall great place. I totally plan to stay here again!

Room Tip: As you can guess, it is always a steller idea to ask for a room with a view of the lake
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thanks for staying with us and sharing your candid comments. We value all guest input and I really appreciate your assessment of some of our breakfast items. We are always looking for new ways to improve our operation, and I will include your review in our discussions. I'm glad you find that we provide good value for you, and I look forward to hearing from you again whenever you are our guest here.

514 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We have stayed there twice and both times have been excellent. The staff has been most helpful and the visits have been great. This time they were doing a renovation of the entry and despite that everything was excellent. It is also an easy walk to the canal (could see ships coming in from our window) and several very good eating places. It was -10 degrees (and still ships were coming in) when we were there and there were several places that delivered (which we used) and we were also close enough to walk to some without freezing to death. It was a great couple of days.

Room Tip: The lake side or canal side are worth the extra,
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to make your very first TA review about your excellent experiences here at the Inn. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time here, and didn't let a few degrees below zero have a negative affect on your visit. Duluth is wonderful regardless of the weather, and we hope you will let us serve you again here soon.
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband and I went up to Duluth for just one night and we stayed at the Inn on Lake Superior and we loved it. The room was really nice, we had a Queen with bridge view. There was a fridge in the room with 2 bottles of complementary water, we thought that was really nice bonus. We arrived on Saturday at about noon and was able to check in early. I love to work out so I visited the gym Sunday morning and although small it was nice to have available and the machines are in great condition. The room was really nice and the bed was comfortable. We have stayed in many places in Duluth and this is by far our favorite.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for giving us a chance to earn your business during your recent visit to Duluth, and for sharing your review about us. We want all our guests to be happy they decided to stay with us and we're really glad to know we have become your hotel of choice when you are in our area. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I always come to Duluth every chance we get and when we stay we always stay at the Inn! It feels like a second home. Staff has always been friendly and very helpful. Rooms are always clean and very comfortable!! Great location! And has been generous every year when we come there for my husbands bday! And we can't wait to see the new renovations and the new memories we will have for years to come...our relationship started there at the Inn and will continue over the years!

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you very much for your loyalty and wonderful story about how you met your husband here! We are glad to be a part of your happiness and hope you will continue to let us know how we can make your stays more enjoyable when you are with us on your future visits.
Osseo, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Everything is clean and tidy. Breakfast bar has variety and is very good for the price ;-). They are always accommodating and I have never had a problem with my stay at this hotel. Location is ideal and very scenic which also makes for a pleasant stay. Cant wait to return.

Room Tip: If you are not traveling with kids; you probably want a lakeside room instead of poolside. Poolside...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your return visits, and for sharing your comments about us. I'm glad you know you can count on us for a problem free stay and great experience when you are in Duluth. We look forward to serving you here again soon.
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Booked this room for the Marathon. It was late and most hotels were booked, I called and got a room through the front desk. Picked a "bridge view" instead of "lake" because the finish line is just outside on the street. The hotel offers a free breakfast (make your own waffles, etc.) plus a free coffee machine and smores in the evening! Very family friendly!

Great location for Grandma's Marathon participants. We walked to restaurants, our runner walked to the train in the morning, and we were able to walk out front to see him cross the finish line (plus it was an easy walk back to the hotel for his tired legs!).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thanks for choosing to stay with us during Grandma's, and for taking the time to share your experiences here. I hope your runner enjoyed the event, and that you will all be back again, so we can serve you here next year.
Beaufort, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

We had a nice stay at the inn. However, I was disappointed in a few things. The staff was not the friendliest, especially at the front desk. Yikes. Not good. The hotel was completely fully of hockey kids. With kids running in the halls through the evening, it doesn't make for a romantic getaway. There were also renovations taking shape and it was interesting having to navigate the hotel in this conditions. Walking through the renovations while they are using machinery was not pleasant. I wish they could have dropped their price quite a bit for those that were inconvenienced. Aside for these issues, the rooms were nice, the view was beautiful and the breakfast was quite large. I don't eat meat in the morning, but was surprised to see the lack of meat options. I am being ridiculously picky. They had a s'mores bar which was nice, it was about -15, so we huddled around the fire and it was an experience. Overall, fairly nice stay. Good sleep and a happy tummy!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
I'm sorry you were disappointed in us during your recent stay, and offer my sincere apologies. there is never any excuse for rude behavior by anyone on our team,and I will use your review in discussions and training to improve our operation. I understand how frustrating our remodeling can be at time, and hope you like the results when you visit us next time. I hope you will give us another chance to earn your trust the next time you are in Duluth.

Been to The Inn On Lake Superior? Share your experiences!