“FANTASTIC PLACE” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Minnesota
“FANTASTIC PLACE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We just got back from staying here over the weekend and this was an amazing trip. The front desk staff is so nice and helpful. The first night we stayed in a city view room. Clean and spacious. The second night we did upgrade to a balcony room. Nice room as well. The only downfall our balcony was really small due to our room configuration. Only two of us could be on the balcony at a time. It was fun listening to the ships and the fog horn. The breakfast was GREAT. Loved the waffles with strawberries and cream. YUMMY!! The breakfast staff were nice and really did a good job. I love how you can get tea, coffee, hot chocolate all day long. The smores were also a fun touch at the end of the day. Also Bentleyville was the coolest Christmas attraction I have ever seen. Overall, I can't wait to come back and stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review and 5 star rating of your experience here. I'm glad you were able to see both the city and lake view rooms, and agree that the balconies are best for two or three people at a time. Bentleyville is a very special place, and we are fortunate that they have made their home here in Duluth. There are many wonderful things to do in our area all year long, and I hope you will come to explore again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My sister and family and my family decided to get away for Thanksgiving this year, and booked Queen adjoining rooms at the Inn On Lake Superior. They weren't cheap ($171 each after taxes) but we decided it would be worth it to have the family together with the adjoining rooms- with young kids it's nice to be able to put them to sleep in one room, and the adults can socialize in the adjoining room.

We traveled over 150 miles , and got there pretty early ~11:30. Was told to give a call on our way in and they'd see if they could have rooms ready for us when we got there. Unfortunately,they weren't able to do that, and advised us to check again at 2:30. At 3:00 we were finally able to check in- but were told there were no more adjoining rooms left.

When we told young woman at the desk we'd been waiting for those rooms all day, she said "sorry, we can't honor room requests". What? We sure weren't told this when we reserved them well in advance, and we weren't told this as we waited for them all day, so we were understandably upset.

Another young woman came out to help us, and she looked over the hotel map for at least 15 minutes before finding us adjoining rooms. So what was that all about? What were they saving those rooms for? Then we waited another 10 minutes to get checked in. So in total we waited over 25 minutes, and with a bunch of young, tired, hungry kids (and adults)- that was not fun.

Although the hotel is situated very conveniently, and is great for the kids with the pool and free breakfast (tho I take issue with their advertised "hot breakfast" -waffles and bisquits/gravy is not my idea of hot breakfast), I'm not sure I trust reserving a room there- I like to know what I'm reserving (ie waterfront, 2 queens w/sofa pull-out, adjoining, etc), and I want to feel confident that the hotel will have that room ready when we check in. Pretty basic.

*Note- I did respond to a auto-email review request from hotel after we got home, but have not been contacted by anybody, an apology would have been nice.

Room Tip: Ask front desk if they will honor a specific type room request!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
I am very sorry for the frustrations you and you families encountered during check in on Thanksgiving, and offer my sincere apologies. I believe we have contacted you privately and discussed this further, and were able to make amends. We really don't want our guests to be unhappy at any point during their time with us, and I will use your experience to improve our operation. I hope you will consider giving us another chance to earn your trust the next time you visit Duluth.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I have stayed here numerous times and absolutely loved it before the policy to allow pets was changed as of 11/12. We are now taking our business elsewhere (and not to their sister property The Edge which they conveniently suggest when you call and ask about their pet policy).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your loyalty and many past visits. The decision to becoming a non-pet friendly hotel was very difficult, and we are very sorry to see you stay elsewhere. I hope you continue to enjoy you visits to Duluth for many years to come.
Monticello, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

What a great place to stay and enjoy all that the area has to offer. Duluth weather changes quickly and it is wise to be prepared and found that to be the case for this trip, however came ready. The hotel offers so many extras that the cost is easily justified. Smores, outdoor and indoor pool and a great breakfast. Bed was comfy and room with a view of the lake was more than pleasing.
We just left the car parked and walked everywhere we needed to go for our two nights in Duluth. Enjoyed the lights of Bentleyville (a event in Bayfront park), watched the ships enter or depart the canal, walked along the lakefront or just sat in the room and watch the ever changing lake.
Wanted to use the pool during the adult hour however it was jammed with kids and parents who seemed OK with teaching their children bad manners. (the only negative)

Room Tip: Lakeside is really the best!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay and nice comments. I'm sorry about the bad experience you had during the adults only hour at the pool, and will continue to work on better control of this area during that time. Please accept my apologies, and I hope you will give us another chance to regain your trust the next time you visit Duluth.
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We came back to visit our son for Thanksgiving. The front desk staff was very nice and made sure we had a great room that was on the end away from noisy kids. The only downside was the rooftop swimming pool. It was suppose to be adult swim from 10pm to 11pm and that didn't happen. I'm not really sure how the management can enforce rules if guests don't want to obey so we were just out of luck on that. Other than that, it is a delighful experience.

Room Tip: The lake side allows you to walk straight out onto the boardwalk which is fun.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
I can't tell you how sorry I am that you didn't get to enjoy our rooftop pool, especially since I told you how nice it is the last time you reviewed us. I will share your experience with our team, and do everything we can to make sure that everyone respects the Adults Only hour, so that others (and you, next time!) will not be inconvenienced. Please accept my apologies, and know that I will do everything I can to make sure that future visits are more enjoyable for you. Thanks for your understanding, and I hope you will give us yet another chance the when you are in Duluth next.
NW Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This a squeaky clean, plus a green hotel that we love. Staff is well trained, cordial, and is helpful to make your stay great. Pool area is clean and the roof top pool is fun when it snows. Breakfast is super with many choices. The beds are comfortable and plenty of towels. Love that we can park the car and walk throughout the Canal Park area. Fun hearing the ships announce their arrival with a horn blast. The inn is very quiet.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
It is great to hear that you had another great class stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to write and post your review our hotel, and for the 5 star rating. I'm glad you know you can count on us for a wonderful stay, and look forward to serving you every time you are in Duluth.
Eagan, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed there for 3 nights in August. Had a room on the 2nd floor..patio faceing the lake! It was fun and relaxing to just sit out there and people watch, saw 9 diffrent ships coming and going during our stay. Our first night we sat out there and watched a thunderstorm out on the lake, It was awesome. And as always, The rooms are very nice, clean, great amenities, and the staff there is TOPS!

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the lake..you will not be disappointed !!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for making your very first TA review about your experiences here at The Inn. Watching activity, whether natural or man made, is always fascinating, and I'm glad you got to experience both during your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Duluth.

Been to The Inn On Lake Superior? Share your experiences!