“Located on Lake Superior” 5 of 5 stars

350 Canal Park Drive, Duluth, MN 55802   |
Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Orr, Minnesota
“Located on Lake Superior”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Located steps away from Lake Superior in the city of Duluth. Several shops and restaurants are within walkable distance. One can see ocean-going vessels pass under the Duluth High Bridge. Three other hotels are also located in Canal Park, and they are all of high quality. I generally choose the Inn because of their lower off-season rates (high season is summer). Coupons for the low rates can be found in the Northland Coupon Book, which is available in many tourist locations during the summer.

A very nice complimentary breakfast is served every morning. Make-your-own S'mores are available every evening. Besides the indoor pool, there is a roof-top outdoor pool. The lakeside rooms, which have a small balcony, are a bit more expensive than the other rooms. I enjoy a city-view room with the lights of night twinkling up the hill.

All in all, the Canal Park area of Duluth is a great place to stay, summer or winter, and the Inn on Lake Superior never disappoints.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to write and share your review. We know you have other hotel choices here and really appreciate your loyalty and repeated stays with us. Please let me know when you will be here next so I can thank you in person.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Mankato, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

We part of a very large group that had people staying at 3 hotels. Our room was on the first floor facing the indoor pool. Occasionally we heard quite a bit of noise from the pool during the day but it wasn't a problem at night. The breakfast was okay, I've had better. The room looked recently remodeled (I'd guess within the last few years). It is a very nice hotel. I gave it a 4 because I know there are better hotels but probably not for this price.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of Lake Superior.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write and post your review. We know you have a lot of hotel choices in Duluth and really appreciate your business. Our goal is to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests, and we look forward to any input we get on how to improve our product and services. We look forward to serving you again the next time you are in town.
Viadana, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

The hotel was lovely..minus a few upgrades that are needed in the room..overall it was lovely though..we had an king disable room which was the best if you have a baby. It was spacious and the bathroom was very large which was very needed..even the chair in the bathroom was useful as it was flat and we placed our changing mat on it. The bed was mostly confy and the view from our room was lovely. Even had weekend music down below ..we could sit on our balcony and enjoy whilst the baby was sleeping and still feel apart of it.
The breakfast was great but could have done with a few other things in the hot secton as I was tired of waffles after the third day..but I must say they were good waffles and a great feature to the hotels breakfast. I enjoyed that there was always something my daughter could eat as well....ie toast, fruit, yougart..ect..and the coffee and capicino machine as tops too.

The only thing that really destoryed our stay was that when we checked in the staff seemed as we were bothering them and if they just really didnt want to help us. Even the next day when we went down with a question they seemed as if they didnt really want ot talk to us..but with that said I would have to say that when we checked out al ovely gentlemen helped us and didnt seem like the rest of the ladies who seemed bothered.

The housekeeping staff is completley useless..although they were very friendly and nice..each time we went back to our room..it seemed that all they did was make the bed and give us new towels..well most times they gave us clean towels..two days they missed the face towel..or a body wash..or something like that..and they didnt ever take the empty bottles just gave us new ones...Also they didnt clean the floors which was weired to me. Each night my husband would have a beer in the chair and every day the bottle would still be there after the clean..after day two we would leave it there to see if they would have thrown it out..and surely they wouldnt. A few days we didnt get water replacement ..ect..
I know its not 5 star...but I just think making a bed and give clean towels and taking out rubbish is not a proper serviced room in my opinon.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Thank you for your review. I am so sorry that you were unhappy with the service you received during your stay with us. I will use your comments in discussions and training to emphasize the importance of everyone doing their best at all times, with every guest. Should your travels ever bring you back to our area, we hope you will give us the opportunity to give you a better experience here.
St, Paul, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

I just stayed there this past weekend with my children as part of a sporting event they were partaking in. This place exceeded our expectations for a home base.

The inn is on the shore of Lake Superior, just 1-2 blocks from the lift bridge. The dining area overlooks the lake. As we were finishing breakfast one morning, my daughter noticed a ship coming in. We quickly cleared our dishes, and still in their slippers, my kids tore off to see the ship approach and go under the lift bridge - waiving to the crew as the boat passed by. Despite ages of 9, 10, and 12, they still loved the experience.

At night, they looked forward to making smores outside. It was a great treat for helping the kids wind down. The area set aside for this outside the hotel was never crowded as people rotated through for their snack. Providing live music is a nice touch.

The inn also offered hot dogs and chips on weekend nights that may appeal to some people, but the inn is so close to various food options, so this amenity may not be for everyone. There is plenty of shopping nearby to explore, and it was restful just walking along the boardwalk outside the hotel.

The indoor pool, hot tub, and sauna were enjoyed by all ... but, it was appreciated that their was also a separate (but a bit small) outdoor pool to retreat to when children who have been poorly raised have are showing off their bad manners (using water guns to spray adults and small kids and personal belongings resting on tables outside the pool - mom ineffectually just kept telling son and daughter to stop, but never took toy away). Actually, over three days, we had favorable experiences in the pool most of the time.

Some of the furniture is showing wear on corners. However, the rooms were kept clean, and it was appreciated when housekeeping left a courtesy beverage in the fridge that I was able to use one morning when I needed the beverage. One final note, our family are pillow hogs ... we love to have plenty of pillows. Each bed was made with 5, so we each had plenty to rest upon.

Breakfast fare has a large variety that rotates slightly each day. It's not gourmet, but definitely a bit nicer than overall than the "free breakfast" found at many other places.

When we come back to Duluth, we would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thanks so much for your kind words. We work hard to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests, and really appreciate your recognition of our efforts. We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Duluth.
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Stayed here this past weekend with my husband, 2 boys( 6 and 9) and our dog. Here is the good.
1. Friendly staff
2. Quiet rooms, even with other dogs on our floor, 2nd floor is where the pet rooms are
3. Clean guest room
4. Extra gifts for our 4 legged friend, water bowl, Frisbee, dog treats, bandana and dog tag
5. BBQ at night which gave each family member a free hot dog and chips both nights of our stay
6. Size of pool indoors with a huge hot tub and lots of seating
7. Small but very warm rooftop pool with lots of seating and lounge chairs

The NOT so good

1. Horrible dirty food smell in dining area
2. Dingy cracked tiles throughout public areas
3. Food stains on walls in lobby area and dining area
4. Tiles inside pools in need of some serious cleaning

Overall our stay was pleasant and worth it because we had our dog. However without her with us I would not stay here again. I am a person that loves a clean place and can see no reason why this shouldn't be when they are charging you top rate for there rooms. With so many other choices in the Canal Park area I will go else where next time. I do however hope management reads this and takes it to heart. I believe with some DEEP cleaning and renovations this place can again be back to what it once was. If that was the case I would give it another try.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments and photos. We are sorry you were not happy with the conditions you found at the hotel. We are continually working on renovations and improvements, and hope you will notice them the next time you are here.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

This place came highly recommended from friends and we were just as happy with our stay. Booking last minute was easy and check-in was a breeze. We had a beautiful view of the boardwalk and lake and my 2-year-old loved to watch the boats, people, horse-drawn carriages, and bikers go by from our patio. We tried out both the rooftop and indoor pool- both nice. We enjoyed the s'mores, although my son was to young to really get how great they are! Breakfast was consistent, a little above and beyond a normal contintental breakfast. The location was perfect. We could walk to shops, restaraunts, sight-seeing, coffee shops, and downtown. The gym was nice and quiet, but this is where my exception comes in. While I was running on a treadmill, some sort of plumbing leak caused a large globe-like structure to fall from the ceiling, crashing down inches from where I was running, and covering me and the entire room with water. They had maintenance up working on it within about 10 minutes, but no one talked to me. I was shaken, so I went back to my room to shower and my husband went and talked to them. They told him to have me contact the manager at my convenience. When I did there was absolutely no concern about my well-being, no apology, empathy, etc. "I just have to fill out this incident report. " At the end she said, "Do you need any band aides or anything?" I was so baffled, I just said no and the conversation was over. We had another day to go on our trip, so I kept expecting someone to contact us about it, or as my husband says, "make it right." Nothing. And we recieved our full bill under the door the next day- we were still thinking that maybe there would be a discount. We considered complaining and checkout, but it was incredibly busy on a Saturday morning, so we just left. Now, this is totally a freak accident and the odds of anything like this happening again are slim, so you will probably have a lovely time. However, if you need good customer service, my guess is you'll be disappointed.

Room Tip: Pool view means you will not have a window going outside, so be careful!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, July 16, 2011
I am so sorry that you didn’t receive better service than you are reporting. You are right that there should have been more, and be assured I will investigate this fully, and use your situation in discussions and training so that our guests will NOT be disappointed with our customer service. I understand we have been in touch with you directly since this incident, and that your concerns were addressed and that you were satisfied with the resolution. I hope you will give us another chance to earn your business, and to let your son really enjoy the s’mores.
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

We stayed at the Inn on Lake Superior for an early anniversary trip, as we love Duluth and the North Shore and try to get up there about once a year. We stayed in a Lakeside King Whirlpool Suite that was on the ground floor. One feature of the room that we especially liked was that the door out to our deck/patio area could act as a true second entrance with key-card access. This meant we didn’t have to make a trip through the rest of the hotel when we wanted to hop onto the boardwalk or watch a ship come in. The joys of this feature were a bit dampened by door’s reluctance to open without some brute force, but we managed. The location was great as well – nicely centrally located in the Canal Park area. Overall, the room was of average size for a hotel room with a whirlpool, but nicely decorated. I enjoyed the large framed photos of the Duluth scenes. The bed was rather firm for our taste (we like ultra plush), but about standard for a hotel mattress.

We’ve stayed in most of the hotels in the area at one time or another, but chose to give the Inn for this trip because of a number of the features listed on their website. These were a bit hit-and-miss, however. We greatly enjoyed the rooftop pool and sundeck area. The rooftop pool, while small, was nice and toasty and a treat on the cooler days, and the deck was great for catching some rays when the sun came out. The indoor pool, hot tub, and sauna were also quite nice (good temperatures, good size), but pretty over-run with kids at times. The evening S’mores roasting, however, was unremarkable. The use of gas firepits with fake logs dampened the ambiance somewhat and made roasting the marshmallows more challenging, as there were no real coals to roast them over. Finally, I have to say I was rather let-down by what they dubbed their “Breakfast of Champions.” From their website, it sounds much more impressive than it was. They seem to have opted for quantity over quality with the cold items (e.g., rubbery hard-boiled eggs, mediocre cake donuts, bagels, and breads, and canned fruit salad). Your best bets are probably the yogurt, fresh bananas and apples, and cereal. The hot items were less impressive than expected as well. Yes, you could make your own waffle, but this was a bit tricky. And the other hot items when we were there were oatmeal and one server full of something else. This “something” differed each day – biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, or eggs and sausage. None were overly tasty.

One odd thing, possibly limited to our room, was that our shower would randomly start dripping profusely in the middle of the night. This would last a few minutes.

Overall, the positives outweighed the negatives and we enjoyed our stay - a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Happy Anniversary! Thank you for your business and for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. We are sorry you were disappointed with our breakfast & s’mores, and that you had problems with your shower. We try to resolve all issues that guests have as soon as they bring them to our attention, and hope you were satisfied with our service. We know you have many lodging choices here in Duluth, and hope to be able to serve you again on your next visit.

Been to The Inn On Lake Superior? Share your experiences!