“Good and Bad” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Minnesota
“Good and Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Stayed here this past weekend with my husband, 2 boys( 6 and 9) and our dog. Here is the good.
1. Friendly staff
2. Quiet rooms, even with other dogs on our floor, 2nd floor is where the pet rooms are
3. Clean guest room
4. Extra gifts for our 4 legged friend, water bowl, Frisbee, dog treats, bandana and dog tag
5. BBQ at night which gave each family member a free hot dog and chips both nights of our stay
6. Size of pool indoors with a huge hot tub and lots of seating
7. Small but very warm rooftop pool with lots of seating and lounge chairs

The NOT so good

1. Horrible dirty food smell in dining area
2. Dingy cracked tiles throughout public areas
3. Food stains on walls in lobby area and dining area
4. Tiles inside pools in need of some serious cleaning

Overall our stay was pleasant and worth it because we had our dog. However without her with us I would not stay here again. I am a person that loves a clean place and can see no reason why this shouldn't be when they are charging you top rate for there rooms. With so many other choices in the Canal Park area I will go else where next time. I do however hope management reads this and takes it to heart. I believe with some DEEP cleaning and renovations this place can again be back to what it once was. If that was the case I would give it another try.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments and photos. We are sorry you were not happy with the conditions you found at the hotel. We are continually working on renovations and improvements, and hope you will notice them the next time you are here.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

This place came highly recommended from friends and we were just as happy with our stay. Booking last minute was easy and check-in was a breeze. We had a beautiful view of the boardwalk and lake and my 2-year-old loved to watch the boats, people, horse-drawn carriages, and bikers go by from our patio. We tried out both the rooftop and indoor pool- both nice. We enjoyed the s'mores, although my son was to young to really get how great they are! Breakfast was consistent, a little above and beyond a normal contintental breakfast. The location was perfect. We could walk to shops, restaraunts, sight-seeing, coffee shops, and downtown. The gym was nice and quiet, but this is where my exception comes in. While I was running on a treadmill, some sort of plumbing leak caused a large globe-like structure to fall from the ceiling, crashing down inches from where I was running, and covering me and the entire room with water. They had maintenance up working on it within about 10 minutes, but no one talked to me. I was shaken, so I went back to my room to shower and my husband went and talked to them. They told him to have me contact the manager at my convenience. When I did there was absolutely no concern about my well-being, no apology, empathy, etc. "I just have to fill out this incident report. " At the end she said, "Do you need any band aides or anything?" I was so baffled, I just said no and the conversation was over. We had another day to go on our trip, so I kept expecting someone to contact us about it, or as my husband says, "make it right." Nothing. And we recieved our full bill under the door the next day- we were still thinking that maybe there would be a discount. We considered complaining and checkout, but it was incredibly busy on a Saturday morning, so we just left. Now, this is totally a freak accident and the odds of anything like this happening again are slim, so you will probably have a lovely time. However, if you need good customer service, my guess is you'll be disappointed.

Room Tip: Pool view means you will not have a window going outside, so be careful!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, July 16, 2011
I am so sorry that you didn’t receive better service than you are reporting. You are right that there should have been more, and be assured I will investigate this fully, and use your situation in discussions and training so that our guests will NOT be disappointed with our customer service. I understand we have been in touch with you directly since this incident, and that your concerns were addressed and that you were satisfied with the resolution. I hope you will give us another chance to earn your business, and to let your son really enjoy the s’mores.
St. Paul, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

We stayed at the Inn on Lake Superior for an early anniversary trip, as we love Duluth and the North Shore and try to get up there about once a year. We stayed in a Lakeside King Whirlpool Suite that was on the ground floor. One feature of the room that we especially liked was that the door out to our deck/patio area could act as a true second entrance with key-card access. This meant we didn’t have to make a trip through the rest of the hotel when we wanted to hop onto the boardwalk or watch a ship come in. The joys of this feature were a bit dampened by door’s reluctance to open without some brute force, but we managed. The location was great as well – nicely centrally located in the Canal Park area. Overall, the room was of average size for a hotel room with a whirlpool, but nicely decorated. I enjoyed the large framed photos of the Duluth scenes. The bed was rather firm for our taste (we like ultra plush), but about standard for a hotel mattress.

We’ve stayed in most of the hotels in the area at one time or another, but chose to give the Inn for this trip because of a number of the features listed on their website. These were a bit hit-and-miss, however. We greatly enjoyed the rooftop pool and sundeck area. The rooftop pool, while small, was nice and toasty and a treat on the cooler days, and the deck was great for catching some rays when the sun came out. The indoor pool, hot tub, and sauna were also quite nice (good temperatures, good size), but pretty over-run with kids at times. The evening S’mores roasting, however, was unremarkable. The use of gas firepits with fake logs dampened the ambiance somewhat and made roasting the marshmallows more challenging, as there were no real coals to roast them over. Finally, I have to say I was rather let-down by what they dubbed their “Breakfast of Champions.” From their website, it sounds much more impressive than it was. They seem to have opted for quantity over quality with the cold items (e.g., rubbery hard-boiled eggs, mediocre cake donuts, bagels, and breads, and canned fruit salad). Your best bets are probably the yogurt, fresh bananas and apples, and cereal. The hot items were less impressive than expected as well. Yes, you could make your own waffle, but this was a bit tricky. And the other hot items when we were there were oatmeal and one server full of something else. This “something” differed each day – biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, or eggs and sausage. None were overly tasty.

One odd thing, possibly limited to our room, was that our shower would randomly start dripping profusely in the middle of the night. This would last a few minutes.

Overall, the positives outweighed the negatives and we enjoyed our stay - a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Happy Anniversary! Thank you for your business and for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. We are sorry you were disappointed with our breakfast & s’mores, and that you had problems with your shower. We try to resolve all issues that guests have as soon as they bring them to our attention, and hope you were satisfied with our service. We know you have many lodging choices here in Duluth, and hope to be able to serve you again on your next visit.
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

We had a nice couple days away from our kids for our 3rd anniversary and thought The Inn seemed like a nice location to walk the shops and canal park... the outdoor pool on the rooftop is what finalized our decision to stay there. We were very disappointed after we got there to walk into the terrible terrible smell that filled the hotel...we mentioned it to the frontdesk person, and she said she had no idea what it was....it was very nauseating!!! We had also gotten a jacuzzi suite room and we never even got a chance to use it. After we filled the tub up and went to turn on the jets, out sprayed all kinds of gross black hair and dirt that filled the tub. We were very disgusted!! Very much ruined our stay!!!! So much for a romantic getaway that happens once in a blue moon. To top it all off, a couple days later ...I was doing our checkbook and noticed they had overcharged us!! I called them to discuss the overcharges and they said we had rented to movies on our room, which we NEVER did!!!!! I asked to speak to the manager, and was transferred directly to a voicemail in which I am still waiting for a return phone call. Very Very much a disappointing stay and experience for us and we will never be returning there again!!!!

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
We are terribly sorry you were so disappointed with your stay here. We have been in direct contact with you since you posted here, and believe that you were satisfied with the conversation and resolutions discussed – if that is not the case, please let me know (kenjacobs@zmchotels.com). Please accept my sincere apologies for the smell of the carpet cleaner we were using , and for the condition of the hot tub – I have reviewed both situations with our maintenance team so that others don’t have a similar experience. I really hope you will consider giving us another chance to earn your respect and loyalty the next time you visit Duluth.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

This hotel was amazing! The hotel was fabulous! I could not say anything poorly, it is one of the better hotels that I have stayed in, and will definately be back! The staff is awesome, the hotel is clean and inviting, I could not say enough good things!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, June 25, 2011
Thank you very much for your business and for sharing your review. We are glad you enjoyed the service and accommodations we offer and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in town.
Minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

This was our fourth stay at the Inn. It's been a favorite place for us. This trip was very disappointing.
When we checked in the whole hotel smelled like wet dogs. I later learned they were cleaning the carpets, which I appreciate- but it was really a terrible smell. I heard others commenting on this as well.. That put me off right away. In any of our previous stays I had never experienced this, but it was nasty enough to put me off the hotel completely.

We stayed in a two bedroom suite. The room is spacious, but was very dumpy if you look too closely. (door was broken at the top, wallpaper coming out in the corner of the room and clearly corners are not cleaned.)

I also did not appreciate walking by one of the rooms the day we checked out and hearing the conversation of the maids. As I am walking with my nine year old I can hear profanity as two maids are talking. Not okay!

My daughter likes to stay there because of the smores, but we won't be staying there again. With what we pay for a two bedroom, I'm expecting a pleasant experience.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
We are terribly sorry to learn of your disappointing experience here. Thank you for submitting your comments, which we will use in discussions and training and to emphasize the need for every associate to do their best and most complete job, every time. Please accept my apology too, for the profanity you and your daughter overheard – we have a zero tolerance for that behavior, and clearly we were not performing up to our usual standards. If you want to stay at another Duluth hotel with s’mores, please consider the Edgewater Resort – [--].
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We have stayed here many times since the location is right in the heart of Canal Park. The Inn is located on Lake Superior and next to the Lake Superior boardwalk. Shopping, restaurants, bars, Army Corp of Engineers museum, lift bridge, sights and outdoor activities can all be easily accessed without ever driving your vehicle. No restaurant at this location, but you many choices within a very short walking distance.

The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly. Extras include breakfast daily and making smores in the evening hours around the outdoor fires. Nice indoor pool with a large sauna, and they also have a roof top pool as well. A large conference center is available for business seminars or family needs.

A visit in November may reward you with a "Gales of November" storm with strong winds and larges waves crashing into the shoreline. You may also potentially encounter similar storms in March as well with large ice flows being blown into the shoreline. Summer is absolutely fantastic in Duluth. The air temperature can be 20 to 30 degrees difference from the lakeshore to just a few miles away...just depends on the direction of the wind. Their room rates are comparable to the many nearby hotels. Try to get a lakeview room so you can watch lake vessels and ocean ships arriving and departing into the harbor (the entrance is about one block away at the Corp Museum).

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
KJacobsVPZMC, Guest Relations Manager at The Inn On Lake Superior, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Thanks for your comprehensive review of our area, we couldn’t have explained it better ourselves! We love living and working in such a great area, and are always thrilled when people come here more than once to experience this interesting and vibrant area. Thank you for your loyalty to Duluth and our hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Been to The Inn On Lake Superior? Share your experiences!