“Very cool place, but some improvement is needed” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Superior, Wisconsin
“Very cool place, but some improvement is needed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

First off, if you've been to The Brewhouse, you can tell that this place is owned by the same group. Why? Because the service is terrible, just like at the Brewhouse! Want to be constantly ignored until you have to horse-collar a bartender? Come here! Want to see constant eye-rolling from your server? This is the place.

Alright, now that that's out of the way, we can talk about everything else. Tycoon's biggest thing going for it is the very awesome location. It's in the old City Hall in downtown. They've done an amazing job updating it, and they are keeping with the old-style decor (again, just like the Brewhouse does so well). The staff even wears old-tymey suspenders and what-not. The other thing I like about the place is the open, loftiness of the place. There's lots of room, even when it's packed, and the bar area is HUGE (it's just more room for the bartenders to ignore you is all). There's also a Rathskeller downstairs that I haven't been in, but I've heard it's also very cool. If you can, go to the back of the restaurant and visit the staff member with a podium by the elevator. Check in with him to see if you can get down to the Rathskeller.

Tycoon's started out as a place that just served sandwiches and beer, but the sandwich thing failed, apparently (and for good reason). Now it appears they are developing their menu a bit more into actual restaurant fare. I have yet to fully sample the menu, but the first thing I've had off of the menu was very again (again, just like the Brewhouse).

Tycoon's also had some Brewhouse beers on tap, as well as the addition of other beers (I think I might of saw some New Belgium taps).

In the end, I'm generally hesitant to go to Tycoon's. I don't need to go out of my way to find a parking spot in downtown to be ignored by snotty staff. It's too bad, too, because I really enjoy the ambience of the place, but I'll be skipping the joint in favor of some other friendly bars & restaurants (like Carmody's, just down the road).

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

sailsquirrel
“Awesome Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Went in for a drink and returned later for a beer. Great bar and atmosphere with a second bar underground. The underground bar is popular and cool. It wasn't open on Sunday, but the bartender took us on a tour.

We returned later for dinner. The Duluth Cheese Steak was very good, but fish and chips were not very good.

Rochester, Minnesota, United States
“Great bar!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

The atmosphere felt very high class without being pretentious. The drinks were original and delicious. I will definitely be returning to Tycoons next time I am in Duluth!

Burtrum, Minnesota
“Check out the "dungeon" downstairs! :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I stopped in Tycoons for a drink on a recent visit to Duluth and fell in love with its atmosphere. The restaurant was once the old City Hall building and has been converted into a very inviting place to dine and listen to live music (great little stage right by the front window!).

While having my drink I learned about a little known "secret" to this lovely restaurant: The downstairs "dungeon"! You take the elevator down to floor -1 (yes, negative 1) and you find yourself in the basement, where the jails used to be, now transformed into a quaint, candlelit, beautiful lounge area. As of the writing of this review, they only serve appetizers downstairs and not the full menu, but I was told the plan is to eventually have the full menu served there as well.

My visit to this charming venue was a short one, I was on my way to a show so i did not have anything off the menu except my martini-but the drink was delicious, and from what I could see, the food looks VERY tasty and I will definitely return on my next visit to Duluth for a longer evening at Tycoons.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“It all tasted so good...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We'll be back. The atmosphere is fresh and new in a great historic building. Service was jiffy quick and our food and brews were really tasty. Perfect restaurant for both out-of-towners and locals. Keep up the good work!