“Horrible customer service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Spirit Mountain Duluth

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Spirit Mountain Duluth to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Spirit Mountain Duluth
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9330 W Skyline Parkway, Duluth, MN 55811 (Formerly Country Inn & Suites Duluth South)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #11 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Duluth, Minnesota
“Horrible customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Clean room. Breakfast was available. Half parking lot closed for paving, when asked where to park guy behind the desks laughs in my wife's face and say's "yeah the front isn't available" and tells us to park behind the super sketchy looking gas station next door. Then we get woken up by the paving crew around 8 am peering into my window. If you're considering this place to stay in I'd recommend you take your hard earned cash elsewhere. I was more satisfied with the 80 dollar Super 8 we stayed in the previous night on our cross country trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CISDuluth, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Spirit Mountain Duluth, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for you comments concerning your stay.
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from our staff. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best service. The service you received at our front desk I can assure you was an exception to our Hotel’s normally high quality of service. To discuss your concern further, please contact the hotel directly, and ask for Barb Allen our Front Office Manager.

141 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Wyoming, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We needed to stay because of a sudden death in the family, which so happens to be during Grandma's Marathon. With that came very few rooms available in the Duluth area and with that at a hotel rate of over $250 for one night in a standard room. I get that until...
When making the with the property directly and requesting a possible early check in, all I got was "our policy was check in at 3". Given we needed the room more then the turn off with that.
After being awake for over 36 hours we slept. Now I did get up at 9 am and headed to the breakfast bar where I was met with a nasty toned "shoes or socks" and that was it. I went back to our room to conform to policy, and then spoke to the staffer and I'm paraphrasing. "As a guest here who just woke up, don't you think Im entitled to at least a please or thank you when informing me that I was out of compliance when I first entered".
To the staffers credit she said I was right and apologized, and accepted.
When I got back from breakfast our housekeeper Andy asked when he could get to service our room. I said told him he could expect us to leave for the day around 12:30-1pm. Something I have done in too many hotels to count, and Carlson properties to boot without incident. Not today, we get a card under our door as we are getting ready to leave for the day that says we would not be getting our room cleaned because we had our do not disturb sign in until the aforementioned 12:30pm. Question why didn't Andy say something when we chatted about this in the hallway?
I did go to the front desk, and was told that ALL of the housekeeping department was done for the day. Something about Grandmas Marathon and many rooms vacated at 4am. The front desk person said she would look into getting someone to change out our towels and empty our garbage. Only to find at 9pm that evening even that wasn't done!
So I mark this as poor, regardless of the rate, guests don't all fit into one scheme. To not have a housekeeper be available after 1pm especially when they were told ahead of time is frankly very poor service indeed. So beware, and it seems management is somewhat responsive to this site, so this my preemptive comment to them...
My assessment if I was a performance coaching here is that everyone here is to "stuck to policy". Inn keeping is hospitality and every guest is going to have unique needs. This wasn't Andy's fault or the breakfast bar person fault, it is top management fault. My suggestion start this policy and the rest will probably work itself out. All employees start every interaction with a Guest with, "Good Morning, Afternoon, or Evening". If a guest requests something an employee is not able to fulfill instead of, "it's not our policy".
A simple "Let me check into that for you", and bring that need to the next level person's attention.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We apologize for the disappointing service you received from our team. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. The service you received was an exception to our Hotel’s normally high quality of service. Your review will be shared with the entire team here at the Country Inn & Suites Duluth South. It will be used to help ensure exceptional service from all of our departments. I will be investigating the incident you encountered with housekeeping as is also an exception to our Hotel’s service. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please contact the hotel directly, ask for me or Barb Allen our Front Office Manager
Brainerd, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Room was very Nice, Clean and quiet which is hard to do when there is a Hockey team in house and remodeling being done! It was an absolutely wonderful Valentine's weekend. Staff were very pleasant and welcoming even with remodeling going on and lots of hockey kids running around, I work at another hotel and know just how challenging all of that can be, yet they did it with a smile, which is a big reason I am returning at the end of this month.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

First off, my family and I stayed at the hotel across the street the night before and nearly hurt ourselves in the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. The next night we stayed here at the country inn and suites and was more than happy. We literally felt as though our prayers were answered. The king suite was fantastic for our family of five. The bed was so comfortable and the space was unlimited. The staff was exceptionally accommodating and genuine. I will definitely be a returning customer. Thank you country inn and suites for the wonderful service! We are truly grateful! !!

• Stayed June 2013
curleycanadian
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

In the past we have loved the Country Inn & Suites- this one was a major disappointment.

I had called the hotel directly to confirm our reservation about a week before we got there. After some searching, they found our reservation. I wish at this time they would have told me that their pool was going to be closed for scheduled maintenance, but they didn't.

I checked in to find the pool was closed, and when I asked if they could do anything for me, the on duty manager said there was not. I explained I had two small children who needed to play and release their energy after our long drive, and that I would not have booked the hotel if I had known the pool would be closed. They shrugged their shoulders and apologized saying the pool might be open in the morning (which it was not, and we were checking out anyway).

We unloaded and settled into the room. The hotel is under renovations, and there is need for the same. Unfortunately, renovations would not explain why there was hair all over our bathroom floor- even hanging from the blow dryer on the wall. Gross!!

About 30min into our stay, I heard a loud rumbling. On quick investigation, we found a train track right behind the hotel with very little sound proofing between it and our sleeping children!

Overall the staff was pleasant, if not helpful. We paid twice as much for this hotel then for any other hotel on our trip, and it was the worst by far. The breakfast was good and included sausage & eggs on biscuits. Saying this, we will not be staying here again!

Room Tip: Train behind hotel, get room at front (even # rooms?) Hotel is under renovation as of May 2013
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
CISDuluth, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Spirit Mountain Duluth, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
I would like to thank you again for contacting me directly concerning this issue and hope it was resolved to your satisfaction. As I mentioned in our correspondence, we pride ourselves on our professionalism in the business of making all of our Guests comfortable. The staff has now been made aware of your comments and we have already made the appropriate adjustments to our operations.

Deanna Gregorich, GM
Saint Peter, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

we was planning on staying for 2 nights , but decided to change to a different hotel the second night , after pulling back the comforter of the bed we found long black hair on the bed sheets , also the lights ( both lights ) by the bed did not work . overall for the price we paid , we would not come back here again .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
CISDuluth, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Spirit Mountain Duluth, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the condition of your room. I have spoken to our housekeeping and maintenance staff and assure you, we are working diligently so this incident does not happen again.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Spirit Mountain Duluth? Share your experiences!