“Dirty room, loud train track, pool closed, under renovation” 2 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Spirit Mountain Duluth

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Spirit Mountain Duluth to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Spirit Mountain Duluth
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9330 W Skyline Parkway, Duluth, MN 55811 (Formerly Country Inn & Suites Duluth South)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
curleycanadian
“Dirty room, loud train track, pool closed, under renovation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

In the past we have loved the Country Inn & Suites- this one was a major disappointment.

I had called the hotel directly to confirm our reservation about a week before we got there. After some searching, they found our reservation. I wish at this time they would have told me that their pool was going to be closed for scheduled maintenance, but they didn't.

I checked in to find the pool was closed, and when I asked if they could do anything for me, the on duty manager said there was not. I explained I had two small children who needed to play and release their energy after our long drive, and that I would not have booked the hotel if I had known the pool would be closed. They shrugged their shoulders and apologized saying the pool might be open in the morning (which it was not, and we were checking out anyway).

We unloaded and settled into the room. The hotel is under renovations, and there is need for the same. Unfortunately, renovations would not explain why there was hair all over our bathroom floor- even hanging from the blow dryer on the wall. Gross!!

About 30min into our stay, I heard a loud rumbling. On quick investigation, we found a train track right behind the hotel with very little sound proofing between it and our sleeping children!

Overall the staff was pleasant, if not helpful. We paid twice as much for this hotel then for any other hotel on our trip, and it was the worst by far. The breakfast was good and included sausage & eggs on biscuits. Saying this, we will not be staying here again!

Room Tip: Train behind hotel, get room at front (even # rooms?) Hotel is under renovation as of May 2013
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
CISDuluth, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Spirit Mountain Duluth, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
I would like to thank you again for contacting me directly concerning this issue and hope it was resolved to your satisfaction. As I mentioned in our correspondence, we pride ourselves on our professionalism in the business of making all of our Guests comfortable. The staff has now been made aware of your comments and we have already made the appropriate adjustments to our operations.

Deanna Gregorich, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Saint Peter, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

we was planning on staying for 2 nights , but decided to change to a different hotel the second night , after pulling back the comforter of the bed we found long black hair on the bed sheets , also the lights ( both lights ) by the bed did not work . overall for the price we paid , we would not come back here again .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
CISDuluth, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Spirit Mountain Duluth, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the condition of your room. I have spoken to our housekeeping and maintenance staff and assure you, we are working diligently so this incident does not happen again.
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I chose this location by accident. I thought I had chosen the north location. We were pleasantly surprised. Lynn & Cathy at the front desk couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. My sister is going through Chemo and is very touchy about EVERYTHING, plus, is allergic to down. Lynn & Cathy made sure we were in a quiet room away from the boys hockey team that was also staying at the hotel. We were on the 3rd floor, on interstate 35 side of the hotel. Other than a few slamming doors, by careless guests, the place was very quiet. Never hear the traffic. Taylor, who was also working that evening, brought extra non-allergenic pillows and blankets up for my sister. We were very comfortable and no allergic reactions.
The whirlpool had been recently repaired and was really powerful and warm on a VERY cold night in Duluth.
Breakfast was the usual fare, so nothing to talk about there.
Over all, I was glad I made the error in reservations and would definitely stay again. Hopefully, the same staff will be working!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thunder Bay, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed one night, and chose solely by location on a a road trip. We didn't realize the location included busy train tracks running right behind the building. It sounded like the train was coming right through the lobby! Also, the heater fan in the room was so loud we had to shut it off to get any sleep between trains.
If noise isn't an issue for you, the place was clean, room was a good size, staff were very pleasant and breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CISDuluth, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Spirit Mountain Duluth, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
On behalf of the entire staff here, I apologize that we did not meet or exceed your expectations. Since your stay with us, we have fixed the problem you encountered in your room. If your travels bring you back to the duluth area, may I suggest one of our standard guests rooms or whirlpool suites. These rooms are located further from the train tracks.

Barb Allen
Front Office Manager
Chaska, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The hotel staff was very nice and friendly but the room could be much better. First the good, the room had a microwave and refrigerator which was nice. They had a nice little library in the lobby with kids and adult books that was fun for my children. The pool was nice and really warm, my kids loved it. Now the not so good. It had a decent LCD TV but was hooked up to the worst cable ever so the picture was terrible. The bathroom faucet was old and hard to use for my children. There was only about 30 seconds to a minute of hot water, so showers were not very pleasant. The breakfast area ran out of food. I would probably choose a different hotel for my next visit to Duluth.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel the first night of our honeymoon. Check in was easy and quick. The lady at the desk was very professional. We stayed in the Master Suite, which was very clean and everything we used was in great working order. Jacuzzi tub was very clean, as was the room. Bed was comfortable. We got the room at an excellent discount because we stay at this chain often. Breakfast was good, typical hotel breakfast-- not complaining, it was free. The attendant was on top of everything and everything was very clean, which is not typical. Would definitely recommend and will stay again when in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Spirit Mountain Duluth? Share your experiences!