“Great if you like Mexican, not so much if you don't” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #133 of 226 restaurants in Duluth
Cuisines: Mexican
Duluth, MN
“Great if you like Mexican, not so much if you don't”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I recently visited Azteca Mexican Restaurant for her birthday dinner. I've never been a big fan of Mexican food, although my wife enjoys it a lot more and regularly had it when she lived in Georgia.

We arrived around 5:00 p.m. on a weekday and were seated right away. A bowl of tortilla chips and salsa (no charge) was brought out right away. We had ample time to study the menu and the waiter checked in on us regularly. The menu has a fairly wide range of Mexican dishes, though for those of us who aren't as fond of it there's still an ample selection and a few American dishes if one desires. Prices seemed about average overall. Appetizers seemed to be on the small side for the price, though the entrees made up for it. The speed of service was very fast.

We did have a number of things we thought could be improved, primarily with aspects of the service. While we were seated and served very quickly, the waiter did not seem especially friendly. I asked a question about one of the menu items, and he came across as though I should have known what the dish included without having to ask. Also, each of us ended up getting something incorrect in our order. I ended up getting just a cheese quesadilla when I ordered the one with cheese and chicken. My wife ended up with a diet Coke instead of the regular Coke she ordered. The quesadilla ended up being surprisingly thin and not exceptionally sized.

My rating is probably the average of how my wife and I would rate it separately. Once she got the regular Coke she ordered, she said her meal was great. I ended up leaving still somewhat hungry and disappointed, though I knew having Mexican meant a lot to my wife for her birthday and I wanted her to have it even though it wasn't my favorite. Still, both of us agreed there are better options out there for Mexican.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

40% Recommend
Ely, Minnesota
“Good Mexican food, excellent service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Already reviewed this on TripAdvisor. So just go to that site and you can find my review. In fact, since I already gave it a great rating there, not sure why it was on this list again.

Visited October 2012
Cloquet Minnesota
“Disappointed a bit”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I hate leaving less than stellar reviews.....but I guess reviews need to be honest opinions or else they are meaningless for others to read.

My wife and I dinned here a few days ago for the first time. The atmosphere was nice enough....but a bit to wide open (not a cozy feel which we personally enjoy when dining out) for our tastes. The table was awkardly low given the seat height. I'm on the shorter side and I thought the table was at least 2 or 3 inches to low. I can't imagine how someone 6' tall would feel. You have to kind of hunch over to take a bit of food and by the end of the meal I could feel my back muscles starting to tighten up.

My wife said her main course was very tasty, but the rice was dry and tasteless. I had rice with my meal as well and totally agreed that it had next to no flavor and was very dry. It was kind of a light pastel yellow, which isn't what you expect at a Mexican restaurant. The beans....well they were ok, but nothing special. I didn't taste her main course, but as I mentioned, she said it was very good.

My meal of enchalidas was a big disappointment. I guess I could summerize that enchalidas as dry and very bland....just like the rice. There was some sauce on the plate which was tasty, but not nearly enough to get some on every bite of enchilada and give them some flavor.

The margaritas were decent enough, but I've had much better other places.

Service was very good actually.....so kudos to the wait staff for being attentive, prompt and friendly.

What was so surprising is that I've had friends eat here and tell me how great it was.....so not sure how our experience could be so different, but it was.

Unfortunately we'll probably not be going back to El Azteca anytime soon as we've have two other Mexican restaurants in the area (1 in Duluth and 1 in Cloquet) that we've been to many, many times over the past years and always had great meals and experiences.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Superior, Wisconsin
“Disappointed visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Thier salsa is the best and enjoyed the margarita. The atmosphere is nice. Wish they had some music playing instead of a nba game on tv. The food was warm not hot on my plate. On my Gf plate the food was cold. The portion sizes have decreased less cheese baby tacos. The rice is terrible n the beans were runny. The prices have gone up and a new huge menu with too many choices. The bigger the menu the more average the food is. Keep it small and specialize. Change isn't always for the better. This is the first time I've been disappointed with this place.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Duluth, Minnesota
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I never thought I'd find good Mexican food in Duluth, but Oh My Gosh! This place is phenomenal. Everything I've had here has been great. If you haven't tried the chorizo with peppers, onions, tomatoes, and beef, you MUST try it! Unbelievably good! I can't get enough of this place!!!

• Visited December 2012