“Eh...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Midwest
“Eh...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2006

Got into town late at night and didn't want to spend a lot for a short evening's sleep. We were planning to find another hotel the next night anyway to be closer to family. My friend has stayed at Motel 6 chains across the country and wanted to head to this one. When we pulled into the parking lot, there were two police cars there. As we walked into the lobby, a cop walked out to one of the cars. So I felt a little nervous about staying there. It's not the most picturesque location, and I didn't know anything about the neighborhood it's in. But we stayed anyway since we weren't going to be there long.

The only room we could get was a smoking room, and it sure did smell like it. Towels were as thin and rough as possible. No alarm clock, as someone else has mentioned. I noticed some of the doors to other rooms looked in rough shape as I walked down the hall (like bent back from the frame). We didn't have any problems though, and it was quiet where we were. Room was basically clean, other than the smoke smell. I don't need the Ritz (and can't afford it), but this is pretty darn basic. Ok for a crashing a few hours on the road, but I hope to never have to stay here again.

• Liked — Nothing bad happened to us
  • Disliked — Felt a little sketchy, horrible towels, no alarm clock
  • Tips/Secrets — You can probably do better elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2006

First off, i did not book the Motel 6 expecting a stellar stay in a hotel full of amenities. But for $92 a night, you get a bed and a shower at a price that would offer you something more in better hotels. They didn't even have an alarm clock or a clock in general in the room!!

The service was terrible. I was in Duluth for a wedding that began at 3. I called that morning at 11:30 to see about early check-in, thinking maybe someone checked out early and they could get me in early so I could change there at the hotel and not have to drive 2.5 hours in a suit. They said no, without even checking the computer. A rude "No." They said I'd have to wait till 3 to check in.

Well, we got into Duluth and pulled in to the Motel 6 lot at about 2:30. Surely, they could check us in 30 minutes early, right? No. So I asked if they had a space to change into our clothes for the wedding. She said no. We had to rush to change in the parking lot of the Motel 6!! If that wasn't bad enough, she came out and asked us not to change in their parking lot because of how it might look? Where would we go?

After the ceremony, we come to check in. It's now 3:45. A different woman tells us the room is not quite ready yet. "Wait 15 minutes." I checked back 20 minutes later. Not ready yet. I didn't get to get into the room until 4:45, which meant we were late for the reception dinner at 5.

Once in, I asked if we could get an iron. She said they didn't have any. A hotel with no iron??

The room was plain, which was fine. I only wanted a bed, and AC because it was hot.

My biggest problem is the treatment and the absolute unwillingness on their part to meet my needs, which I thought were not too much. Pretty simple request for a wedding-goer. Considering how much hotels make on weddings, most hotels I've stayed at have at least had staff who tried to get me in early even if it turned out they couldn't. I have a hard time believing no one checked out early and a room couldn't be fixed up for a guest in a bind. They didn't even look to see if they could do it. Just rudely said checkin was 3 p.m. And then they can't get me in till 4:30.

Pay $20 more and avoid this mistake. Duluth is too nice a town to let this terrible operation ruin your visit.

• Liked — easy access to I-35. no chance of getting lost
  • Disliked — unhelpful staff, late check-in.
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid Motel 6 Duluth
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2006

Over the years I've found Motel 6 to be a consistent value. They're virtually always clean, reasonably priced and comfortable but nothing fancy and no amenities at all. This is no different. Having stayed at the Duluth Motel 6 several times the prices vary according to the time of year and I've paid from $38/night to $48/night. There's no view of the lake and the tv is technically "cable" but it's only the local television stations brought in on a cable. There's no expanded cable such as ESPN, CNN, or anything like that. Just the local television affiliates, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, WB & PBS, so TV is not good for a tv watcher like me. There's no premium channels like HBO or anything. However it is an improvement from the days when Motel 6 charged $.75/night extra for B&W TV! It's close to fast food and a restaurant or two. It's not the greatest part of town but it's OK. There's not a lot of parking for the number of rooms. Rooms are good sized, especially for the price. No coffee, microwave, refrigerator or anything in room, but usually they'll have a pot in the office for a couple of hours in the morning with the smallest styrofoam cups I've ever seen! But all in all, it's a good value for a night's sleep. It's certainly not a relax and vacation room, nor is it a romantic surrounding. Arrive, watch the news, sleep and move on, or if you're spending the day touring the many attractions in the area, you'll find Motel 6 a good value. My next trip there, I plan to check out some of the other motels in the area that are comparably priced and at least have a lake view. I've stayed at better places and worse places but Motel 6 is consistent and clean so I usually will go for one when I just look for a night's sleep.

Stayed August 2005
Bemidji, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2005

Staying here several times, this is a great spot to stay if you're looking to be close to downtown. They are really nice, clean, quiet...and CHEAP! A good restraunt is next door, and you're two minutes from Canal Park .. without the price!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2005

For the price, it was great! We stayed in a $70+ room the night before in Fargo, ND, and I actually liked this one better. It was the first weekend in March of 2005, and we paid just over $25 for the room! Plus, if people get into a fight with knives in the parking lot, the rooms closest to the drama get 25% off! Entertainment and savings!

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2003

We just spent 5 nights here and found it quite clean and comfortable, plus very economically priced. We paid $35.99 a night for two double beds. They have no pool/whirlpool etc and no extras. There are no kleenex in the room, no radio alarm clocks. They do have cable tv with HBO and the rooms are very large with table and chairs. The rooms were clean and the maid service was great. The location is also very nice--right next door is a 24 hour convenience store/gas station, a Burger King and an Embers. The beds were a bit too firm for us but you can't beat the price. I would recommend this to anyone on a budget!

Been to Motel 6 Duluth? Share your experiences!