“Basic, dependable motel for sleeping & watching television” 3 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Duluth
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   200 South 27th Ave. West, Duluth, MN 55806   |
Ranked #31 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
St. Paul, MN
“Basic, dependable motel for sleeping & watching television”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

Stayed here a few times, as basic sleeping headquarters for my BFF and I. We ski around the Duluth/north shore area, as well as go out to good restaurants and the local brew pubs (Fitgers in Duluth, and Thirsty Pagan in Superior). Instead of drinking and driving, we like bringing a growler back to the room at "The 6" where we can drink a couple of pints while watching HBO and other cable channels, relax, and stay out of trouble. For a couple of bucks, we have WiFi for checking ski conditions. In the mornings, we go to the nearby Duluth Grill (just across the parking lot; no need to even start the car) for breakfast. They cook up perfect eggs and a fabulous RED FLANNEL HASH, and have kombucha to drink. A young dude was finishing the Sunday special (pot roast dinner) when we arrived around 10:30 one morning. No judgment – everyone's welcome on this side of town.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Duluth, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

If you are coming into town for business don't stay here. We tried to have one of our out of town staff stay at this motel for business purposes. We were told we could use a credit card for this persons stay if we filled out a form then faxed over a copy of the credit card and drivers license. We sent our person over to the hotel and after faxing the required information were told that they couldn't allow the stay because the credit card with a picture of Ben Franklin didn't fax clearly enough and the signiture wasn't clear enough. Fast forward 45 minutes and 3 attempts later and the front desk person and manager can't let our employee stay there. We are a well known local business, but they won't even pick up the phone to call our office to confirm our identity. We happen to be 3 blocks away, by the way, advertise frequently on TV and radio and in the yellow pages. Our business has been around since the 40's. It's not like you couldn't find us. The shortsightedness of the people who work at this hotel is amazing. Not only did they give up 2 nights of busness this week, but all future business. Oh and by the way, our employee stayed at their hotel last week and was recognized by the staff! Front desk person who checked our employee in last week for a three day stay wouldn't do a thing. I called Super 8, which is about a mile further away. They remembered our employee from staying there a year ago, remarked on how nice she was and took a credit card from me over the phone with absolutely no hesitation. Less than two minutes and we had a room. My advice; spend just a bit more and stay with the freindly staff at Super 8.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Minneapolis mn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

Read all the negative reviews, some made me chuckle. Seriously, it's a cheap hotel, A bed, tv, desk, a shower, tub and toilet, You're not staying at the hilton. My room didn't smell, the front desk was polite, helpful, directed us to needed amenities we left at home. We got a great night sleep, wake up call.... no need for alarm clock.

We had an uneventful night's stay, for a cheap price in a good location. Couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

We stayed here for the Grandma's Marathon! We had asked for a non-smoking room. Upon entering the room, it smelled of old stale smoke. We contacted the front desk to inquire about the smell. The employee appeared at our door with deodorizer that she sprayed around the room. She was friendly. However, we learned from her that although it is a non-smoking room, they cannot enforce it. While walking down the non-smoking hall we could smell fresh smoke, she said there was nothing they could do about it. DON"T ADVERTISE SMOKE FREE ROOMS - When in fact they reek of smoke!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
minneapolis,MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2008

we stayed there 2 days ago. it costed us 182.00 for 2 nights, people were complaining when we were trying to sign in, one person said they didn't have toilet paper, and the other one said the room was not made, towels were everywhere, we have no where else to go so we stayed, our room was okay. the beds were hard, not soft pillows, no "do not disturb sign", no alarm clock or radio, the toliet seemed to have a leak, every 20 mins , water would be on the floor. no shampoo or conditioner, they gave us towels, 2 bars of soap thats about it. very small bathroom. the sink wasn't in the bathroom, the bed's smelled like they werent clean, and they were itchy. dont stay here! it isnt worth the money, and they dont have free wi-fi like they promise.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Duluth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2008

I have stayed here on multiple occasions, including an extended stint when it was either Motel 6 or my car. Being homeless sucks. Anyway, the most recent visit came out of a need to watch the Academy Awards and not having a TV at home, so I checked into the Old Faithful Motel 6 so I could smoke cigarettes and watch the broadcast. The front desk staff was somewhat aloof, but I'm sure they thought I was weird for staying at the Motel 6 and writing down a Duluth address. They may have even recognized me as that crazy girl who used to stay there all the time.

There was only one thing that irked me--checkout time is noon. I was gathering my things at 12:01 and the phone rang. It was the front desk, basically telling me to hit the road. I thought that was tacky, and totally unnecessary. Granted, that's not enough to keep me away entirely, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

• Liked — Value, proximity to restaurants and gas stations.
  • Disliked — Being called one minute after checkout time expired to be told it was time to leave.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Saint Paul
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2008

It never ceases to amaze me when people lambast the budget motels, especially Motel 6. What exactly did you think you were going to get for your $32 room rate?
My wife and I along with two other couples have stayed at the Duluth Motel 6 for a weekend getaway the past 3 years. Sometimes the rooms are great, and sometimes they're average. I can truthfully say we've (or our freinds) have never gotten a room that's filthy, and everything usually works.
For our first couple of stays we called the property direct for reservations, and recieved good, friendly service and rates. This year (2008) after calling, they were unwilling to quote a better rate than what was available on the internet. Now that's too bad, and would indicate that nobody on site takes a real interest in their job, or they don't have the permission of the bosses to make an intelligent decision.

Ok, I booked all three of our rooms on line, got the best rate, checked in with no problems, and the people at the desk were friendly and helpful. Is there more I should be expecting?

Heat worked, shower worked, we had towels, and paid not an unreasonable sum for all.

Also had a great time meeting our friends for the weekend. Will do it again next January, probably returning to the Motel 6.

In case you've missed my other reviews. Restaurants we like include Grandmas in West Duluth, Hammond Steak House in Superior, and most definitely the Sunshine Cafe in Wwest Duluth for a great breakfast. Used to frequent the Timberlodge, but they seem to have gone hill of late. (And across the chain as a whole)
New restaurant in Canal Park (H---'s Kitchen,) but we didn't get there.

Fast food and sit-down restaurants close by, as well as fuel for your vehicle.
tptr

Stayed January 2008

Been to Motel 6 Duluth? Share your experiences!