“Smelly Hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 34 Hotels in Duluth
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Smelly Hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The hotel stay was for the Grandma's Marathon and I was there supporting a friend of mine who was running the Half Marathon. I walked through one of the doors to the hall and the carpet was ripped out, everything was extremely worn and made me feel like it was not clean. Everywhere I went smelled of smoke. The room I was in I sprayed my odor remover in the air so I could breathe - I didn't know how smokey it was going to be. It had a dirty feeling and the beds were noisy so my friend didn't get good sleep before her race. I can say this for sure, I'm never staying at a Motel 6 again. It was affordable & cheap but cleanliness was definitely sacrificed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Ninjaeclipse

Brainerd, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We had reservations made online. Showed up at motel. The Motel is worn, dirty and has a musty smell. The front desk was empty with a a note that someone will be back shortly. I found out that the price quoted online was $69, but when I showed up the price was $89. The original price was for a single person. $20 for an additional person that may use an additional towel is a bit steep. The fact that the original quote was for a single person was not very apparent on the online site or on the confirmation slip.. I pointed that fact out but did not argue with the attendant. The hallway to our room was all. Some remodeling (much needed) is underway. The problem is that the hallway was musty smelling. Our room was quite large, mostly to the fact that the room used to have two beds and one had been removed. The room although clean looking had a sour milk smell. With all the fans and heat turned on the smell disappeared. I would consider staying again in this hotel only as a last resort.

Room Tip: Do not choose any room where you park in the back of the building. A narrow one-way lane surrounds...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Moorhead, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I am the type of person who wants a clean room that is cheap when I am traveling. I don't need anything frilly. when I was in Duluth I would Stevie at Motel 6. The last two times I was there it was horrible. The room was dirty, interesting people were staying there, I really didn't feel safe. Last time I stayed there, I said never again. The staff were friendly enough, but that place needs to be revamped right away. It's sad that it is so run down now.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank kittybitty

Travelers are raving about these Duluth hotels

Saint Cloud, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

A rockin stay deserves a rockin review! The front desk was awesome, we had a blast in the waterpark, and used the free shuttle to go downtown and to canal park for dinner almost every night. Duluth was beautiful as was our fireplace/jacuzzi room. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank peter k
Big Trout Lake, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I have stayed at this Motel several times. I understand that when you are seeking out the cheapest Motel in Duluth, that you must expect to get a cheap Motel.
The room smells a little stale, not a problem. The floor is a little stained, not a problem. The bathroom was clean, good.
The TV remote didn't work. They gave us a “new” one and it didn't work either. Luckily I am old enough to remember how to walk to the TV and change the channels on the TV set.
The “icky problem” we had was.... the bed sheets had someone else's short hairs on them. That is... the sheets were not changed from the last person. We told the Front Desk and they gave us a new room. Those sheets had hairs on them too. We then we request, a fresh set of sheets and made the bed, in the original room, ourselves.
I would normally give a Motel like this and average rating, because it is what I paid for and expected, but the hairy sheets drop it to a terrible rating.

Room Tip: Check the sheets BEFORE getting in bed. Make sure they are clean.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank R M
Crawley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I read a few of the reviews here before writing this to get a general idea of what others found. I have to say that I almost invariably strike it lucky with Motel 6s as I never seem to have any of the usual complaints.

This is one of those with internal access to the rooms requiring shuttling of baggage along long corridors which I dislike, but it is what it is. I have nothing to complain about. The room was clean and presentable with no smells or wildlife. It has a laundromat which I found useful during my 3 week road trip. Staff were polite and pleasant. My only irritation was the price. $98 – but it was a Saturday. Nevertheless, it was the most expensive accommodation of my entire 3 week trip [which included Washington DC and Chicago] and it did not warrant this price, Saturday or not.

I would be happy to stay here again based on the room quality, but not the price. I’d be happier with externally accessed rooms.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank MichaelE-England
Monticello, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

The room was clean and the location was convenient- right off 35 and shares a parking lot with my favorite Duluth restaurant. If you don't need fancy or frills it's just fine. Just make sure and get a non-smoking room if you don't smoke.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple