“What you expect” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Monticello, Minnesota
“What you expect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

The room was clean and the location was convenient- right off 35 and shares a parking lot with my favorite Duluth restaurant. If you don't need fancy or frills it's just fine. Just make sure and get a non-smoking room if you don't smoke.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Hurley, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Motel 6 in Duluth over the past weekend and it was acceptable. Lets just be very honest here, if you want to stay in a Ritz Carlton, stay at one. If you want to save some money and have a place to rest your head, stay at a Motel 6 or the like. I am very critical of every place that I stay and I have been in the motel industry for over 25 years so I am not afraid to pick apart a place but this place really does not deserve a terrible rap.

Here are my thoughts... The lobby was not that clean but it was not terrible. The rooms were absolutely fine and it was what I have come to expect when I have to stay at an economy lodging facility. When I stay in Minneapolis on Business, I stay at a very wonderful place and we pay $250 per night. It is a five star place and I get what I pay for. Think of this motel as the same thing.

I would stay there again if I had to but it was not a place where I would spend my honeymoon. We just needed a comfortable and clean place for a one night stay and this is exactly what we were given.

I give places like this a rating of average because this is what they are. I have come to expect certainly things when I stay at economy motels. This motel is not worse or no better than any other economy motel that I have stayed at, thus the rating of average.

Again, I would not have a huge problem staying at this place again when we need an affordable place to stay with short notice.

Room Tip: It may sound redundant but if you are staying on business or if you have lots of things to carry to...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

First off, I want to say, I have worked in the hotel industry for about 5 years, both front desk and housekeeping. Anywhere I stay; I always enter a room and strip everything, from the bathroom to the beds. (Always gotta keep an eye out for bedbugs!!) I checked the mattress/box spring, underneath it, behind it. I checked behind the dressers and nightstand, in and out. The bedding and linens were clean, no hair/stains. Beds were newer and weren't sagging or stained. The carpeting needs to be replaced by the heater however, as there were visible waterstains.

Also, I like the fact that there were security guards present during the night, I seen them doing their rounds, while I was outside smoking. Sure, this hotel is basic, but it was clean, and for $65.00 a night for 3 adults, who cares there isn't a pool or breakfast. I had no run-ins with any sketchy people, nor did I hear anyone at night; even when I came back from the casino around 2:30am. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The hotel staff were pleasant, even at 2:30am, when I was asking for extra towels and blankets. I st...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Iron River, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

A sign informing you that the hotel regularly shares their guest list with the Duluth Police Department welcomes you at this West Duluth, pet friendly Motel 6. I'm not sure if that's supposed to make you feel safe or not. Needless to say, we weren't impressed. Check-in took extra long but we were told multiple times that's because management doesn't staff the desk with enough people. There was literally a line about 8 people deep when we checked in. There also seemed to be issues with rooms being clean/check-in was taking extra long because he didn't know if the rooms were ready or not. The hotel is in serious need of updates. But, given it was fall peak and one of the few places available that took dogs, we were willing to overlook the lackluster amenities for our $100 plus stay. However, it just kept getting worse. Once inside our room, we discovered that wifi was $2.99 per night. A crappy corporate policy that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. When my husband went to take a quick shower before dinner, we discovered the showerhead was broken. That night... as temperatures dipped into the mid 30s, we learned our heater was broken. The mattress was horribly uncomfortable but I'd somewhat expect that in a cheap hotel. The only upside was that when we asked for an extra pillow, the staff provided two. The other benefit is no free breakfast which justifies eating at the Duluth Grill, which is within spitting distance of the hotel. When we checked out, we mentioned the issues... the front desk staff clearly didn't care. They wrote nothing down, asked no questions, and sort of did the nod and yeah sure we'll get on that. My husband suggested they not check the room out again and well, the smirk on his face said the room would be rented out again well before it was fixed. I'm all about a good deal but when a chain gets so many things wrong and still charges $100+, well I'm less than impressed. I shared my experience afterwards via a survey and their response was even worse. They clearly just don't care about the customer experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Duluth, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Northern Wisconsin,
Thank you for posting your review. We apologize for your unpleasant stay you and the poor guest service you encountered, and we encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
Champlin, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

So if you are looking for no frills but inexpensive and good location this is an ok place. For some reason Duluth was booked solid (uless you wanted to pay over $200 per night) except for this, but it was fine. All I really need is clean and safe which it was. It also has a good location off the freeway, good reasonably priced food next door, inexpensive gas station also next door. For $2 more I even had a refrigerator for my beer and pop, something I could not get in a $500 room in Manhattan. Don't get me wrong, this is not the taj. But it was ok, and given the family emergency I was in town for, more than met the needs. Course it helps that my expections were already pretty low.

Room Tip: spend the extra $2 to get a refrigerator.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Horrible staff, dirty and extremely outdated facility. Only had smoking rooms which was disgusting. A horrible spot to stay in for Duluth. Beds were old and the sheets and comforters were stained. No amenities whatsoever. Even the wifi was 2.99 per night. Expensive for such a horrible stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Duluth, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Kaiden W
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. The cleanliness and service conditions you encountered are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6, and we sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay. Please kindly contact our Guest Relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and our other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I made a three-day reservation through Orbitz, but my buddy had also made reservations for another hotel for Friday night. I cancelled the reservation through Orbitz, but then made a single day reservation to cover Saturday only. On Saturday morning, a room became available at the hotel we were staying at, so we drove to the Motel 6 to cancel in-person. Done. But, wait - they charged me anyway! No proof, so I got stuck with the credit card charge.

Not happy! ...Mac

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Duluth, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Mac,
Our sincerest apologies for your cancellation charges. Please contact our guest relations department and give them your Orbitz confirmation number and they should be able to help you get a refund. 1-800-577-3435

Been to Motel 6 Duluth? Share your experiences!