“Reasonable and clean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Reasonable and clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Room was basic motel decor. Very clean. Friendly staff. Our stay was only eight hours. Quiet. great shower. Reasonable price. HAllway did smell like smoke but our room was fine. Coffee and paper in lobby exceeded my expectations in this price range.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Thunder Bay, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I understand, 1st come 1st serve.
We arrived Saturday afternoon from our trip to Las Vegas...we were extremely tired and decided to stay overnight in Duluth rather than travel home. We didn't make reservations so I understand that all that was left was a smoking room...but when we exited our room to go for dinner, we closed the door and suddenly we realized that a male pit bull was running at large in the hall (UNSUPERVISED)..while out in the hall, the lady across the way poked her head out the door and explained that the owner was outside with another dog and has done this before...She also commented that this dog was around her door due to her little dog coming into heat...we very slowly made our way (trying not to portray our nervousness) back to our room...Once inside, I poked my head out the door to speak with the lady..she further mentioned that the owner frequently let the dog off the leash to run in the hall..At that point she banged her hand on the door and told the dog to go away making the dog run and show it's teeth at her...I commented to her that it was the wrong thing to be doing and asked if she had called front desk...She had..At that moment, a couple that was "smoking" outside, opened the entrance door and got the dog outside..I never saw the dog afterwards but remains of the dog (poop) were at the other entrance door ( which my husband brought to the attention at the front desk that night)...Next morning the poop was still there...
Also, when my daughter went to take a shower before bed, the tub had hair in it...(which she had to clean before it could be used)....

NOT IMPRESSED! :(

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Washburn, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

What can I say? The cost was cheap, but I've never been in a more basic Motel 6 in my whole life. The general area is run down, but didn't appear dangerous. The reception area is decorated by a fake tree, behind the reception desk. Staff was nice and gave me a smoking room on the 2nd floor, as I requested. After driving around to the parking area nearest the entrance, lugging my suitcase and take-out dinner up the stairs, I found the room I was given had not been cleaned from the previous guest. I called reception who told me to come back to reception & get a new key. So, down the stairs, again lugging my suitcase & dinner, drove my car around to reception, got a new key & requested a 1st floor room this time. Although I did request a smoking room, both hallways were full of smoke. If you are not a smoker, definitely find another motel to stay at.
My room was relatively "clean", although once feeling the rug on my barefeet I put my socks back on. No decorations on the walls. Small countertop TV. No microwave or coffee maker. 2 towels, 1 wash cloth, 1 bar of soap. The chair was so wobbly I didn't dare try to sit on it. There's only 1 ice machine in the motel. So, if you want ice you go to your room, get the bucket, & go all the way back to the reception area. The only thing good I can say about the room is the water in the shower was hot & had good pressure.
Next time I'll pay the extra $20+ and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Although my room was in the back of the motel very near to I-35 I really didn't hear much road n...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Cloquet, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

i rented a room, got there late so i asked the 2 people driving me to sit an relax for a little while before they had to leave and we were there about a half an hour and security came up to my room and told me i had to register an pay for any extra people...i told him they were not staying that it was a long trip so they were gonna relax before heading back and he said we would all have to leave if i didnt register them.. so i went to the lobby and asked for my money back to go get a room at the black bear casino and they said no! so i had to pay an extra $20.00 for a room that only cost $39.99!!! i was very UN-HAPPY!!!

Room Tip: I not stay here EVER again..the black bear casino & resort is only 15 mins down the hwy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thunder Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I agree with a previous review that for $46.00 a night you get what you pay for. The room we had was non-smoking and although there was a cigarette smell in the hallway our room was fine. The room and bed were clean and there was lots of hot water for a shower. We stayed two nights and had no problems with noise or the area that the motel is located in. The hotel does show some wear but I've seen some in worse shape. We would stay there again with no hesitation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

For $39 to $45 you get what you pay for. Rooms were a bit chilly with no real blankets to speak of - I guess you're supposed to HTFU if you're in Duluth. Beds were not that comfortable but clean and carpeted floor was disgusting. Location is bordering on shady if you are used to the burbs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Allen, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I had originally planned to stay at another place in town, but when I saw my arrival time shift into the evening, I decided to save some money. I arrived in after dark and left before the sun was up, so I didn't need any thrills. The hotel shows some wear, but I seen worse. The bed was comfortable and the internet ($3 dollar fee) was quick enough. I didn't hear any road noise, but I live on a busier road.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you have a lot of luggage request a first floor room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Motel 6 Duluth? Share your experiences!