“Great location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

This is a nice hotel in a great location.

Check in was easy, we we given two rooms on the top floor with views of the lake. Rooms were clean and comfortable.

Parking and breakfast were both free, and coffee was available 24 hours a day. They have a nice little area you can sit with a cup and watch the boats come in and out.

I would definitely stay here again if we return to Duluth

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Bertha, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

Very Beautiful Views and Comfortable out side seating! The breakfast was wonderful! And the staff was extremely helpful with all our needs....

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

We stayed one night at the Hampton Inn in Duluth. The location is idea and great to have free parking. From the hotel you can walk to all of the great shops and restaurants around Canal Park. The lake view was great and the Lake Walk is right out the back door. I especially like all of the little touches that the hotel added to make our stay comfortable.... cookies and apples at check-in. Clean rooms and all bedding is washed for every customer (shower curtains too) There were even beach balls and diving rings in the pool area to entertain our kids. The breakfast was good too :) We will definately stay here again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

We stayed here during the Tall Ships Festival in July 2010. The location is exceptional. It is on the end of Canal Park Drive making the parking lot easily accessible. The rest of the Canal Park area can get very congested with traffic during rush hour or special events.

Our room overlooked Lake Superior and the Cribs (an old abandoned cement dock that is now a high diving scene for locals) was right out our window. We had unending entertainment watching the kids dive off that. We could also see the pier from our room and delighted in watching the huge barges and ships go past the lighthouse toward the Aerial Lift Bridge.

We had a standard room with two queen beds and a refrigerator. We are always happy with Hampton Hotels and this stay was great. Their daily free breakfast is a super way to start the day and I am always amazed at the selection of items. We are a family of 5 with three young children, and this hotel was very family friendly. The indoor pool even had pool toys for the kids, which I have never seen before at any other hotel.

We will definitely return in the future!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Duluth was our highlighted destination during our week long road trip from Chicago. Our stay at Hampton resulted from a business traveler friend referral.

You can watch the sunrise over Lake Superior from your window (lake side view) but can not see the bridge. For us, this was a peaceful location because the ships do not run 9-5 and the whole passing under the bridge process is noisy. The action (the bridge) is walking distance (1-2 city blocks) and should not be missed. Information near the info center and reportedly in the building outside of the bridge post the anticipated ship arrivals and departures. This way, you can plan your action.

There are probably at least six hotel properties along the boardwalk in Canal Park to choose from. I liked the Hampton for the following reasons: Clean. Powerful thermostatically controlled AC. Great view of peaceful lake. Comfortable beds, pillows, linens. An on-site washer and clothes dryer (occupied by guest with week's worth of laundry; I should have done my load when I first noticed the availability. Quarters and detergent available within the hotel.) Great coffee and breakfast, a Hampton standard. Attentive and helpful reception staff. Smaller hotel than some of their neighbors. Adult only swim for the last hour in the pool area. Hotel not overrun with kids; but this could have been happenstance during our two days there. Either that, or extremely well behaved children. Nicely decorated and somewhat embellished over the typical interstate Hampton. Lots of restaurants nearby.

The Hampton is located at the south end of the lake and we drove up the 'north shore' of Lake Superior for dose of natural beauty. For me, this is what vacation is all about. It is gorgeous, we made numerous stops and hiked a bit to sample the highlighted offerings of the state parks. Some of the main trails have been modified to accommodate access to a wider fitness range of sightseers. Living in the flatlands of Illinois, I was especially happy to see that the waterfalls were still flowing, even though I heard the best time to view them is in early spring.

Betty's Pies on 61 was an intended stop off based on recommendations. We stopped for pie and stayed for lunch. Our waitress there, who's name I can not recall, deserves recognition. We are diners with lots of questions and she sought answers to them all without a hint of annoyance. She was so personable that I studied her interact with the diners at her other tables. She offered the same warm quality of genuine personal attention. Upon leaving, I mentioned to her that she was good at what she does. She snickered a bit and then told us that she just started at Betty's and it was a new job for her. She had a friendly mannerism that registered on personal level, I do not remember her name, she said that lives in Duluth; that's all I remember.

On a different note, one evening we took a long walk and ventured from Canal Park as the sun was setting. After sundown the businesses closed and there seemed to be an element that emerged from the streets. Being from Chicago, we have a sense of what it feels like to be in the wrong place at the wrong time; it started to feel about like that. The safe and secure feelings reemerged after we found our back to Canal Park. I would not stay anywhere else other than Canal Park in Duluth without doing your homework first. And speaking of security, from what I could see, I believe that the Hampton was the only hotel that requires a key card from the lakeside patio access.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
zman319
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

Met expectations- meets Hampton Inn standards- will stay again- would recommend

Reserved one day for re-acclimating after 4 days of camping on Isle Royale. Reservation via website.

Location: In Canal Park, fronting lake. During busy weekends getting in/out can be slow due to crowds.

Room: Clean, spacious. Had a Pier-facing room on 3rd floor, which affords a fair view of the canal and about 1/2 of the bridge.

Pool: Clean, hot tub was hot, main pool was cool but not cold. Plenty of towels.

Breakfast: Sausage/biscuits needed some extra pepper, eggs were fine. Pastries were fresh.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

Check-in at this location was quick and uneventful for me. I spent some time outside the property, both along the lake view and the touristy attractions. These are literally adjacent to the hotel or one short block away. If you plan to do any tourist activity in Duluth or Superior you should check out this location.

My room was nicely appointed as most Hampton Inns have been. I had a single king bed, flat screen TV, free wireless Internet, shower, tub, armoire but no closet. I'm not sure what the architect was thinking with skipping a closet but my clothes fit in the armoir. The water temperature on the shower was a little touchy but the pressure was acceptable. The room was clean as was the rest of the hotel.

I was hoping for biscuits and gravy and a bit of an indulgent breakfast but had to settle for sausage patties and slightly dry eggs. They do have a waffle maker and cereal, all the usual breakfast offerings. I also took advantage of the grab'n'go breakfast on the last morning as my flight was scheduled to leave at 6:00 am.

The elevator worked well during my stay, as did the fitness center. I did not spend any time in the indoor pool. The fitness center is a bit cramped for space and had one elliptical, one recumbent bike, a stair-stepper IIRC and a small weight set.

There is a meeting room/lounge area for readers and casual acquaintences just off the breakfast area.

Several restaurants, bars, clubs, shops and activities are within a block or three from this location. It really is the best location for many visitors. The Grandma Marathon finish is about 2/3 of a block away, toward the Little Angie restaurant. Or at least there is a finish circle in the sidewalk!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn Duluth? Share your experiences!