“Nestled” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Chicago, Illinois
“Nestled”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Duluth was our highlighted destination during our week long road trip from Chicago. Our stay at Hampton resulted from a business traveler friend referral.

You can watch the sunrise over Lake Superior from your window (lake side view) but can not see the bridge. For us, this was a peaceful location because the ships do not run 9-5 and the whole passing under the bridge process is noisy. The action (the bridge) is walking distance (1-2 city blocks) and should not be missed. Information near the info center and reportedly in the building outside of the bridge post the anticipated ship arrivals and departures. This way, you can plan your action.

There are probably at least six hotel properties along the boardwalk in Canal Park to choose from. I liked the Hampton for the following reasons: Clean. Powerful thermostatically controlled AC. Great view of peaceful lake. Comfortable beds, pillows, linens. An on-site washer and clothes dryer (occupied by guest with week's worth of laundry; I should have done my load when I first noticed the availability. Quarters and detergent available within the hotel.) Great coffee and breakfast, a Hampton standard. Attentive and helpful reception staff. Smaller hotel than some of their neighbors. Adult only swim for the last hour in the pool area. Hotel not overrun with kids; but this could have been happenstance during our two days there. Either that, or extremely well behaved children. Nicely decorated and somewhat embellished over the typical interstate Hampton. Lots of restaurants nearby.

The Hampton is located at the south end of the lake and we drove up the 'north shore' of Lake Superior for dose of natural beauty. For me, this is what vacation is all about. It is gorgeous, we made numerous stops and hiked a bit to sample the highlighted offerings of the state parks. Some of the main trails have been modified to accommodate access to a wider fitness range of sightseers. Living in the flatlands of Illinois, I was especially happy to see that the waterfalls were still flowing, even though I heard the best time to view them is in early spring.

Betty's Pies on 61 was an intended stop off based on recommendations. We stopped for pie and stayed for lunch. Our waitress there, who's name I can not recall, deserves recognition. We are diners with lots of questions and she sought answers to them all without a hint of annoyance. She was so personable that I studied her interact with the diners at her other tables. She offered the same warm quality of genuine personal attention. Upon leaving, I mentioned to her that she was good at what she does. She snickered a bit and then told us that she just started at Betty's and it was a new job for her. She had a friendly mannerism that registered on personal level, I do not remember her name, she said that lives in Duluth; that's all I remember.

On a different note, one evening we took a long walk and ventured from Canal Park as the sun was setting. After sundown the businesses closed and there seemed to be an element that emerged from the streets. Being from Chicago, we have a sense of what it feels like to be in the wrong place at the wrong time; it started to feel about like that. The safe and secure feelings reemerged after we found our back to Canal Park. I would not stay anywhere else other than Canal Park in Duluth without doing your homework first. And speaking of security, from what I could see, I believe that the Hampton was the only hotel that requires a key card from the lakeside patio access.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

342 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
zman319
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

Met expectations- meets Hampton Inn standards- will stay again- would recommend

Reserved one day for re-acclimating after 4 days of camping on Isle Royale. Reservation via website.

Location: In Canal Park, fronting lake. During busy weekends getting in/out can be slow due to crowds.

Room: Clean, spacious. Had a Pier-facing room on 3rd floor, which affords a fair view of the canal and about 1/2 of the bridge.

Pool: Clean, hot tub was hot, main pool was cool but not cold. Plenty of towels.

Breakfast: Sausage/biscuits needed some extra pepper, eggs were fine. Pastries were fresh.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

Check-in at this location was quick and uneventful for me. I spent some time outside the property, both along the lake view and the touristy attractions. These are literally adjacent to the hotel or one short block away. If you plan to do any tourist activity in Duluth or Superior you should check out this location.

My room was nicely appointed as most Hampton Inns have been. I had a single king bed, flat screen TV, free wireless Internet, shower, tub, armoire but no closet. I'm not sure what the architect was thinking with skipping a closet but my clothes fit in the armoir. The water temperature on the shower was a little touchy but the pressure was acceptable. The room was clean as was the rest of the hotel.

I was hoping for biscuits and gravy and a bit of an indulgent breakfast but had to settle for sausage patties and slightly dry eggs. They do have a waffle maker and cereal, all the usual breakfast offerings. I also took advantage of the grab'n'go breakfast on the last morning as my flight was scheduled to leave at 6:00 am.

The elevator worked well during my stay, as did the fitness center. I did not spend any time in the indoor pool. The fitness center is a bit cramped for space and had one elliptical, one recumbent bike, a stair-stepper IIRC and a small weight set.

There is a meeting room/lounge area for readers and casual acquaintences just off the breakfast area.

Several restaurants, bars, clubs, shops and activities are within a block or three from this location. It really is the best location for many visitors. The Grandma Marathon finish is about 2/3 of a block away, toward the Little Angie restaurant. Or at least there is a finish circle in the sidewalk!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

I was pleased with this Hampton Inn experience. I really enjoyed that there were so many options for eating and shopping within walking/stumbling distance of the hotel. There's some great happy hour specials at the bars nearby. The staff was warm and friendly, the check-in process was easy. I don't use any of the amenities, or have any house keeping done during 4-5 day stays. For those reasons, I wonder, like a previous reviewer, why we can not get our nightly rate reduced for lack of use of any the things we do not use. Realistically, the hotel saves money by not having to pay a maid to clean the room. Also, I don't need a paper every day. It is nice, but we should be able to refuse it with a room credit offered like some of the Holiday Inn Express hotels offer.

I think the only thing that was lacking in this hotel was not having the flat-screen like most other Hamptons. It was a super location with a great view of either the city or the lake. The breakfast on-the-go offered by Hampton is always appreciated.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Duluth, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

We are big fans of Hilton Honors, so stay in Hampton Inns fairly frequently. We stayed here due to a 20 inches of snow blizzard, live out in the country, but wanted to avoid bad roads and spend Christmas am with the grandchildren! As previous reviews have mentioned, the rooms and bathrooms are not large, but are well kept. We were given a lake view due to our gold status in HH. The waves were truly magnificant to watch - and we have lived in this area for over thirty years. The breakfast was excellent, and the staff were attentive and kind. If we had needed an evening meal, there are excellent Canal Park restaurants - the Lake Avenue Cafe and Bellisio's plus Hell's Kitchen - with the Zeitgiest, Pizza Luce, and the Scandavian/Baltic places next to PL. on Superior Street.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

Overall the hotel has a decent look and is reasonably well decorated for a hotel in this price range. The pool area was small but clean and not too busy the night we were there. The rooms are very small (two queen bed, lake view room) and there is no closet, just a very small wardrobe in the room.

The rooms were also very hot. Even though we had the heat turned off and it was late December, we had to sleep with the window open slightly. Having the window open was great when some idiots started shooting off fireworks outside our window at 5:30am. The hotel apologized but there wasn't really much they could do. It woke up the entire family and scared the kids.

I wasn't horrible for the money but I would try some other places nearby before I would stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Aurora,IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

Hotel unable to provide requested "non Smoking" not once but twice. Despite reservations made 2 weeks prior and when hotel manager was emailed about concern-all I got was attitude and excuses.
Hampton Inn has lost my business for good for al locations I visist as a result.
There are a lot of great hotels in the area of Canal Park. I would highly recommend going elsewhere!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn Duluth? Share your experiences!