“Perfect view of Lake Superior” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Perfect view of Lake Superior”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

The Hampton Inn on Canal Park in Duluth is located steps away from Lake Superior. We booked early to ensure a lake-view room (you will need to do the same).

The hotel was very clean and modern, and it is in a great location. Our room had a view of the lake.

The Hampton Inn offered a very nice fitness center with a treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical, weights, TV, water, and hand sanitizer.

There was a small pool and hot tub. I am not sure if many people use the pool when the weather is nice as there is a walking path near the lake. When the weather is not as cooperative, the pool may seem a bit on the small side.

They offered a very good continental breakfast, and free USA Today.

My only complaint is that I did hear some footsteps in the room above me. I am not sure how that could be avoided in any hotel.

I encourage you to go to the Hampton Inn on Canal Park in Duluth.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

The Hotel is on Canal Park (easy to get to) and the lakewalk is right out the back door of the hotel. Also because it is located on Canal Park you have at least a dozen restuarants ranging from Subway to Timberlodge within a couple blocks. If you have a lake view you can even watch the freighters come and go from your room, although the experience doesn't compare to being down on the dock when they slide by. Not only would I stay here again, before we left we made a reservation for next year.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
madison, wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

I've stayed at the Hampton Inn Duluth several times, and each and every visit has been a winner. The rooms are spacious, the views are fantastic (especially if you score a lake-view or third-floor room), and the location can't be beat!!!! But the employees make this destination my top choice every time I visit the great city of Duluth. From the front desk (efficient and friendly) to the breakfast gals (even friendlier and more efficient) to housekeeping (wonderfully clean rooms and folks who actually understand the meaning of "do not disturb"), I haven't met a person working there who hasn't gone the extra mile while doing their job, smiled when they spoke to me, and offered just a little something extra to make me feel important and welcome. This last trip I had a problem with very, very noisy "neighbors" overhead, but one call to the front desk took care of the problem in seconds. (Which reminds me: the next-door and across the hall noise is nonexistent so this would be the quietest hotel I've ever stayed in if the same could be said for overhead noise.) I also managed to leave behind quite a few items of clothing, and they were practically on their way to me before I could even call to raise the alert. The only reason I didn't give five stars for value is because I did find my first-floor, view-of-the-parking-lot room to be a bit on the expensive end at $139 a night during the week. I do understand it's Duluth's high season, but I still felt it to be slightly overpriced. (Wouldn't it be great to be charged less if you don't use housekeeping/clean towels/clean sheets every day if you're staying for several days???) All in all, I can't say enough good things about every visit I've had to the Hampton Inn Duluth, and the employees play the largest part in my satisfaction.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
El Dorado Hills, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Canal Park earlier this month. If you're staying in Duluth, the location is FABULOUS. You're within walking distance of a lot of restaurants and attractions. Breakfast was included, which is really nice when traveling with kids. While nothing fancy, there were plenty of options provided every morning. We took ours out onto the patio out back that is adjacent to Lake Superior. Quite lovely, indeed! Free computer access is provided in the lobby. The front desk staff was always helpful with our numerous questions to navigate the city. The rooms are nothing fancy, but we were only there to sleep anyway. Great value!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Mosinee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

I've stayed at this hotel a few times on business--it is one of my FAVORITES!! The location is great--right on the water. I also love that this is not a huge hotel so it feels very homey and comfortable. Staff has always been wonderful. There's a really comfortable sitting/reading room with an exit directly out to the walking path along the lake. Great restaurants & lots to do nearby. I wouldn't stay anywhere else!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

The Hampton Inn is a great choice when visiting Duluth. It's located directly on the lake with an amazing view. Rooms were cozy and clean - suggest getting a corner room. It's a perfect place for a romantic getaway.

• Liked — Romantic and cozy
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Grafton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

I had a great stay at this hotel. The rate was affordable (AAA rate of $117 including tax) and the room was nice. The hotel includes a free breakfast which is servicable, but not great - though the price is right. The hotel also has a nice room off of the breakfast area that overlooks Lake Superior and is filled with leather sofas. This was a great space to relax.

The Hampton Inn Duluth is also in a great location in Canal Park. Lots of restaurants and bars along with all of the Duluth waterfront activities are within walking distance - even in the winter. Downtown Duluth is also a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

While this is no 5 star hotel, it is very nice example of a Hampton Inn. I would stay here again and I recommend this hotel to others.

NOTE - While some other reviewers have mentioned the indifference of the front desk staff, I noted that service was indifferent at nearly all of the places I visited in Duluth - restaurants, bars, the Omnimax, etc. I cannot fault the hotel for what seemed to be a common experience in Duluth and I think that the hotel's service was slighlty better than most of the service that I received in Duluth.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hampton Inn Duluth? Share your experiences!