“Nice!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Maple Grove, Minnesota
“Nice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located on Canal Park Drive, right on Lake Superior. Beautiful view! Quiet hotel with modern amenities and really cozy, nicely decorated lobby and guest rooms. Breakfast included! The only downside was that the room where breakfast was served was too small and long wait lines formed. Besides that, our family really liked our stay here and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Lorri D, Manager at Hampton Inn Duluth, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your comments. You might be happy to know we are currently in the process of remodeling the breakfast, lobby and solarium. We feel this will help with the breakfast seating issues and help create a better atmosphere where guests can relax and enjoy the hotel. We hope you will come and visit us again and see our new look!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The location of this property is amazing for the price, and it is the nicest Hampton Inn I have stayed in. The hotel is right in Canal Park and sits right along the Lake Walk -- great walking distance to the bridge as well as numerous bars, cafes and restaurants. Would absolutely stay again.

I was able to book a Friday but Saturdays were filled. I was persistent in calling and checking, but nothing was available. They allowed me to put my name in if a cancellation opened up a room when I checked in. Fortunately, one did open and the staff was very accommodating.

The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom, for a hotel like a Hampton, was huge, making the stay very pleasant and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

100% smoke free, no pets allowed.
Located on the Lake walk.
A parking attendant to kept out cars of those that weren't staying here.
Nice wooden built-in wall unit for TV, closet, refer, micro & work table.
Had a pull-out table under built-in shelf.
Wi-fi was fast.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SAINT PAUL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Hampton Inn on Canal Park. I have stayed at many hotels in the same area & I found this hotel to be very nice!! great continental breakfast, gorgeous views of the lake from a sitting room, large clean pool area...very accessible to the boardwalk the aerial bridge and even a short walk to downtown Duluth for dinner :) the room was a bit cramped compared to some other places I've stayed, but the linens were wonderful, it was extremely clean; we had a view of the city and even overlooking the parking lot it was fairly quiet on the third floor. I would definitely stay here again :-)

• Stayed October 2013
Edina, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

This hotel did not overwhelm or underwhelm me. The location in canal park is excellent. They had plenty I parking. The breakfast area is too small. They only have one waffle maker which is in the middle of the food line. So there was a line to use it holding up access to everything else. Not enough seating for breakfast either. The beds were not the most comfortable and temperature regulation proved difficult. The price was nice compared to some of the hotels in the area. We would stay here again. It was very clean. Carpet a bit worn, but room and bathroom were clean.

Stayed October 2013
St. Cloud, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed mid-week in early October. Check-in was quick and was offered an upgrade to a better room. The staff was friendly and professional. Room was clean and quiet. Plenty of towels and pillows. Location was great with plenty to do within walking distance. Price was appropriate for accommodations.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We recently spent 3 nights at the hotel and to be completely honest I left with mixed feelings.

There were many positives:

The room was spacious

The bed was comfortable

The view of the lake was outstanding

Plenty choice for breakfast

Fresh cookies each afternoon

Free bottled water in the morning

Quiet indoor pool and hot tub

Unfortunately there were a number of negatives:

Upon booking only ADA rooms were available. Called the hotel as this was not something we required. I was advised to note my preferences on my reservation/honors accounts and it was most likely that they would be accommodated as someone would probably want an accessible room and they could swap. Upon arrival though this wasn't the case and despite the request of a higher floor room was assigned a ground floor room near reception. This contributed to the noise factor and irritations such as the inability to hang some items of clothing on the lowered closet rail.

Very difficult to get a seat at breakfast. It's not pleasant using a trash can to balance your food.
witnessed several business meetings taking place in the breakfast area with no food/beverage being consumed. Pity those guests did not have the courtesy to take their meetings to the sun room or other areas.

Amenities such as soap were not replenished when used up. I'm sure we could have stopped by reception as asked for more however I expect this to be part of the basic service not something I have to proactively manage.

Duvet cover was stained on arrival and not replaced throughout entire stay despite a somewhat patronising post it note on the headboard advertising that we had been given a freshly washed duvet.

Very little storage space in room

No footstool so armchair was not comfortable for long periods

Noise levels made sleep after 5 am impossible.

Whilst I do appreciate that some things such as the continual banging of doors, shrieking and screaming in corridors and thundering from the floor above may not have been down to hotel management they did make for a less than pleasant experience.

The big issue for me though was the feeling of safety, or should I say complete lack of it. Over a 3 day period we were accosted on 5 separate occasions, in the hotel parking lot, by a homeless man seeking money. On each occasion we declined and he became increasingly hostile and aggressive with our refusals. We witnessed several other hotel guests being approached and one guest giving him food which he promptly threw away.
On the second occasion I mentioned to a member of reception staff that we had now been approached twice by the same person and the response was "just don't give them anything" - no offer or indication that this would be dealt with.
We were informed at check in that we must display a parking permit as the parking lot was closely patrolled and monitored. It seems this doesn't extend to ensuring guest safety.

Overall, whilst the hotel was in an ideal location think the negatives outweighed the positives for me personally.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am so sorry to hear your stay was less than satisfactory. Thank you for the not only the positive comments but also the negative. I apologize we were unable to swap you out of the ADA room. That portion really depends on someone else having a request to have an ADA room.

You might like to know that we are currently updating our breakfast and lobby areas to create a better flow and more seating.

It is Hampton policy to replenish any used items in the room. I apologize that was not the case during your stay. There is no excuse for a stained duvet on a bed. I will be passing this information on to the Executive Housekeeper so she can take care of that situation.

I agree with you that the big issue always comes back to the guest feeling safe. I am shocked and angered at the response you received from the front desk. The police should have been called immediately so they could take care of the situation. We could have posted addtional security in the parking lot and alerted the other hotels of the situation. I know the police take complaints down here very seriously, as they know how important our guests are to us.

I can not apologize enough for the lack of action from the front desk staff. Please let me assure you that is not acceptable and I will be doing some additional training on this subject.

Again thank you for your time and your comments. Both are very appreciated.

Been to Hampton Inn Duluth? Share your experiences!