“Hampton Inns are the best for the price!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save with the AAA Rate!
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Twin Cities, MN
“Hampton Inns are the best for the price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I always like Hampton Inns if I can afford them.
This time I wanted to stay in Canal Park, so had to bite the bullet on the hotel room price. It was the best price I found in this area.
The rooms are always the best - clean, nice linens, fridge, microwave, etc. and I love the lap desk!
Noise from the hallway is a bit loud, but the hotel does quiet down later in the evening.
I stayed in a city-view room which wound up being great as I got some great photos of Duluth at sunrise.

Room Tip: If you are a late nighter and like to sleep in, stay on the City Side. The sun comes up mighty early...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Amazing stay. Due to Ryan and Ricky I was able to recoup from an arduous week of work. Both were quite professional and made a fast yes happen instead of a slow no. I reserved a room, or so I though, but failed to finalize the reservation. So I called the 800 number for assistance but Ryan stopped me and gave me a great room. I stayed at the Holiday Inn over 80 days this year but I am now convinced that I now am a Hilton man. The rooms are better and as I approach the Diamond status I will make my choice now to spend all of my 170+ days next year at the Hilton family if possible.

• Stayed November 2012
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I was surprised at how modern and nice the rooms/furnishing were. The location is great, nice view, pretty good breakfast, and staff were helpful. I also liked that they have rooms with two queens versus two doubles. We had a group of people being loud underneath us, but we called the front desk and they promptly took care of it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My family has been visiting Duluth and the "North Shore" area for the past 15+ years. My husband and I started visiting with our best friends back when we were all still in college and still go back every year now -- but with our families.

Hampton Inn is located in Canal Park, an area of Duluth, MN, located directly on the shores of Lake Superior. The hotel recently underwent a total "makeover," which was definitely needed. The lobby area is warm and inviting, as are the rooms -- with dark, rich-colored tones throughout.

My husband and I are in our late 30's and our children are 9 and 5 -- and we definitely like our "space" when we travel. I personally think the rooms at the Hampton Inn are a tad on the smaller side, but we always seem to make do. We LOVE the lakeside rooms, as they provide a beatiful view. It is a shame that there aren't any balconies/decks at this location. There are several other hotels in the vicinity that do offer that option for those who are interested.

Our children love the pool area and the last couple of times that we were there the Hampton Inn actually had small pool toys for the kids to play with. The water has always been warm and the kids are greatful to not have to go to the hottub to "warm up" after having swam, which they have had to do at some other hotels.

The continental breakfast is fairly good in terms of hotel food -- they generally have eggs with a meat (bacon, sausage, etc), waffles, several cereal choices, pastries/doughnuts, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, fresh fruit, bread/bagels, milk, juice, etc. I believe coffee is available 24/7, and possibly hot chocolate. If you prefer to eat out, there is plenty in the area within walking distance...although not an abundance of choices for breakfast, there are more than enough lunch/dinner choices.

The staff is always very helpful and accommodating. The hotel and parking area is well lit and I have always felt safe bringing my family here. Wi-Fi is available and I would say it is of average speed for a hotel. I find that the room rates are on the high-end, especially during the peak, summer season but that is expected for this area. They do offer a slighly discounted rate for AAA Members.

Room Tip: Choose a lakeside room for wonderful views of Lake Superior!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We chose the Hampton Inn for the location, on the Canal Park and paid the extra for a lake-view room, which is really the point of staying there. The reception was friendly and helpful, arming us with maps and guides. The room had everything we needed, although not as big as some Hamptons, and we were confortable and slept well. Breakfast, however, was over-crowded: the buffet service area is too small to enable enough people to have access when it is busy. But there is a very pleasant sun room overlooking the lake and all-day coffee and cookies, which we appreciated.
Canal Park has some pleasant walks and interesting shops but the choice of places to eat is limited, in that they all offer basically the same choice of food. The nearby downtown is walkable but rather run-down.

Room Tip: Worth paying for the lake view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Harshaw, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

A very warm & cozy hotel. Welcoming lobby, a good breakfast, nice amenities in the rooms including HBO, high speed Internet in the rooms, a lap desk to use on the comfy chair, good lighting and bedside lamps w/outlets for charging phones and WINDOWS THAT OPEN! Our room, 335, gave us a great view of the Lake for $95 AAA rate, even tho it was not classified as a lake view room (which would have cost about 30% more). Tips: bring your walking shoes even if you are staying for a wedding or business event - there is a fantastic walking path that extends for miles along Lake Superior right outside the hotel. Also, we were surprised @ how many neat restaurants, pubs, and trails there were to explore, so you might want to add an additional night on to your stay.

• Stayed October 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Great location ... very relaxing atmosphere. The front desk staff were very prpfessional and efficient. The rooms are well appointed, comfortable, clean, and maintained. The housekeeping staff I encountered were also very friendly and made me feel at home. The breakfast was okay but nothimg to write home about ---- typical of most hotels these days.

The location is what truly sets this hotel apart. You are literally right on the water. Location and staff courtesy make this a favorite for me in Duluth. The bed was comfy and the hotel was very quiet in the common areas even though it was crowded.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn Duluth? Share your experiences!