“A Solid "Go To"” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 31 hotels in Duluth
Minnesota
“A Solid "Go To"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My family has been visiting Duluth and the "North Shore" area for the past 15+ years. My husband and I started visiting with our best friends back when we were all still in college and still go back every year now -- but with our families.

Hampton Inn is located in Canal Park, an area of Duluth, MN, located directly on the shores of Lake Superior. The hotel recently underwent a total "makeover," which was definitely needed. The lobby area is warm and inviting, as are the rooms -- with dark, rich-colored tones throughout.

My husband and I are in our late 30's and our children are 9 and 5 -- and we definitely like our "space" when we travel. I personally think the rooms at the Hampton Inn are a tad on the smaller side, but we always seem to make do. We LOVE the lakeside rooms, as they provide a beatiful view. It is a shame that there aren't any balconies/decks at this location. There are several other hotels in the vicinity that do offer that option for those who are interested.

Our children love the pool area and the last couple of times that we were there the Hampton Inn actually had small pool toys for the kids to play with. The water has always been warm and the kids are greatful to not have to go to the hottub to "warm up" after having swam, which they have had to do at some other hotels.

The continental breakfast is fairly good in terms of hotel food -- they generally have eggs with a meat (bacon, sausage, etc), waffles, several cereal choices, pastries/doughnuts, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, fresh fruit, bread/bagels, milk, juice, etc. I believe coffee is available 24/7, and possibly hot chocolate. If you prefer to eat out, there is plenty in the area within walking distance...although not an abundance of choices for breakfast, there are more than enough lunch/dinner choices.

The staff is always very helpful and accommodating. The hotel and parking area is well lit and I have always felt safe bringing my family here. Wi-Fi is available and I would say it is of average speed for a hotel. I find that the room rates are on the high-end, especially during the peak, summer season but that is expected for this area. They do offer a slighly discounted rate for AAA Members.

Room Tip: Choose a lakeside room for wonderful views of Lake Superior!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We chose the Hampton Inn for the location, on the Canal Park and paid the extra for a lake-view room, which is really the point of staying there. The reception was friendly and helpful, arming us with maps and guides. The room had everything we needed, although not as big as some Hamptons, and we were confortable and slept well. Breakfast, however, was over-crowded: the buffet service area is too small to enable enough people to have access when it is busy. But there is a very pleasant sun room overlooking the lake and all-day coffee and cookies, which we appreciated.
Canal Park has some pleasant walks and interesting shops but the choice of places to eat is limited, in that they all offer basically the same choice of food. The nearby downtown is walkable but rather run-down.

Room Tip: Worth paying for the lake view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Harshaw, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

A very warm & cozy hotel. Welcoming lobby, a good breakfast, nice amenities in the rooms including HBO, high speed Internet in the rooms, a lap desk to use on the comfy chair, good lighting and bedside lamps w/outlets for charging phones and WINDOWS THAT OPEN! Our room, 335, gave us a great view of the Lake for $95 AAA rate, even tho it was not classified as a lake view room (which would have cost about 30% more). Tips: bring your walking shoes even if you are staying for a wedding or business event - there is a fantastic walking path that extends for miles along Lake Superior right outside the hotel. Also, we were surprised @ how many neat restaurants, pubs, and trails there were to explore, so you might want to add an additional night on to your stay.

• Stayed October 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Great location ... very relaxing atmosphere. The front desk staff were very prpfessional and efficient. The rooms are well appointed, comfortable, clean, and maintained. The housekeeping staff I encountered were also very friendly and made me feel at home. The breakfast was okay but nothimg to write home about ---- typical of most hotels these days.

The location is what truly sets this hotel apart. You are literally right on the water. Location and staff courtesy make this a favorite for me in Duluth. The bed was comfy and the hotel was very quiet in the common areas even though it was crowded.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We travel to Duluth at least once a year for the North Shore Inline Marathon and decided to try a different hotel. Glad we did.

The hotel is located in Canal Park, right on the lake. You can actually walk right out the door located in the back of the hotel right onto the walking path on the lake. The door is secure and requires your room key to open it.

If you plan to stay in Canal Park during your stay, you will not need to drive anywhere. Everything is within walking distance.

The rooms are very clean (and look relativly updated recently). The beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are pretty large.

They have a sunroom where you can watch the ships on Lake Superior, with free WiFi access. They serve a pretty good hot breakfast each day; omlets, waffles, hot & cold cereal, oatmeal, fruit, coffee, juice, milk.....

Parking is free!

Their pool and hot tub is pretty standard, but clean.
They have a Microwave and refrigerator in every room

I would recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: If you want to spend the extra money, the views from the Lake View rooms are very pretty!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pottsville, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

It seems Canal Park rooms are hard to get, so book as early as possible. I can highly recommend the Hampton Inn. The front desk staff is not only friendly and customer oriented but quite efficient. Check-in was a breeze and we headed to our lakeview rooms. We were blown away when we opened the door to our third floor two-room suite. We had a fantastic view of Lake Superior and saw we were only steps away from the Lake Walk. I found the room to be well worth the price. It was spacious, quiet, and very comfortable. The bath area is seperated allowing one person to use the bathroom while the other uses the sink area. Both are well lit. The walk in shower was great. The towels were much better than most and there were plenty to go around. The king bed was quite comfortable an afforded a very good night's sleep. The whirlpool tub was a hit with my wife, along with the complimentary bottles of water and popcorn. Breakfast was good, with the offerings changing daily. The breakfast area became quite crowded at times but there seemed to be sufficient seating for everyone. Everything was fresh and fairly well stocked, although with the crowd, the breakfast staff was barely able to keep up. They did make sure things were not empty for long. There are numerous shops and restaurants within walking distance of the property. The hotel itself appears to be well maintained with common areas clean and orderly. The porch area adjacent to the breakfast room was very nice with comfortable seating and excellent view. We found it to be a terific place to wait for the rest of our family. The entire staff was friendly and ready to please. I would not hesitate to stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Request a lake view room - you won't be sorry!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Gothenburg, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Crowded breakfast area i.e. waiting - rather stressful. Many shortages.

Staff walking around in the lobby eating & drinking, really irritating especially when you are hungry waiting for a table. Despite anyones hunger, it's hardly professional.

Big clock in lobby showing wrong time. I mentioned it to the staff, but they already knew.
Why don't take it away ?

Needed to stretch my legs and went outdoors and there the staff had a barbecue...., just right under the main entrance roof (!) because it was raining . Without an umbrella it was just to go in again.

Though, the room was clean and I'm convinced the bed-spreads are washed daily
as the filling/wadding now was to be found as a ball here and there.

Checking in went smoothly. Friendly, welcoming etc.

Checking out was another story.
First totally ignored as the staff had so much to discuss and laugh about so I had to interrupt and then I found myself 'punished' by be treated without any priority at all like a 'Persona Non Grata'. While handling my issue 'my' receptionist answered telephone calls, colleagues questions etc.and she toooooook her time.

As a foreigner you might not be familiar to a all Am.expressions and sometimes you have to ask twice.
E.g. I wanted to be sure that the cab picking me up accepted credit cards. I was told they had ordered a company car for me. OK perhaps every American knows that company cars accept credit cards. Do I ? No ! (For me a company car is something totally different) So I had to ask again to be convinced that I wouldn't end up at the airport in a cab not being able to pay for the ride. Now I became a complete i---t too, because, everybody knows that company cars accept credit cards.
End of story.

A chain of circumstances. Yes, I admit. But to take a second chance, risk actually, for that money. Never !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Lorri D, Manager at Hampton Inn Duluth, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I'm sorry that you received a poor level of service; this is not the Hampton norm as our goal is Satisfaction Guaranteed. I have addressed these issues with our staff. I apologize for the miscommunication about the town car to the airport. Our staff should be clear and courteous when responding to questions and assisting our guests. We never want you to feel undervalued or unwelcome-especially by our team. The next time you are in the area we would love to have you come back and experience an improved level of customer service.

I apologize for the issue with grilling under the car port. It was our annual luncheon and we did not want to let a little rain ruin the day. Especailly your day. Again I apologize your stay did not meet your expectations.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Been to Hampton Inn Duluth? Share your experiences!