“Feels Like Home....” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Feels Like Home....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We travel to Duluth at least once a year for the North Shore Inline Marathon and decided to try a different hotel. Glad we did.

The hotel is located in Canal Park, right on the lake. You can actually walk right out the door located in the back of the hotel right onto the walking path on the lake. The door is secure and requires your room key to open it.

If you plan to stay in Canal Park during your stay, you will not need to drive anywhere. Everything is within walking distance.

The rooms are very clean (and look relativly updated recently). The beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are pretty large.

They have a sunroom where you can watch the ships on Lake Superior, with free WiFi access. They serve a pretty good hot breakfast each day; omlets, waffles, hot & cold cereal, oatmeal, fruit, coffee, juice, milk.....

Parking is free!

Their pool and hot tub is pretty standard, but clean.
They have a Microwave and refrigerator in every room

I would recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: If you want to spend the extra money, the views from the Lake View rooms are very pretty!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Pottsville, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

It seems Canal Park rooms are hard to get, so book as early as possible. I can highly recommend the Hampton Inn. The front desk staff is not only friendly and customer oriented but quite efficient. Check-in was a breeze and we headed to our lakeview rooms. We were blown away when we opened the door to our third floor two-room suite. We had a fantastic view of Lake Superior and saw we were only steps away from the Lake Walk. I found the room to be well worth the price. It was spacious, quiet, and very comfortable. The bath area is seperated allowing one person to use the bathroom while the other uses the sink area. Both are well lit. The walk in shower was great. The towels were much better than most and there were plenty to go around. The king bed was quite comfortable an afforded a very good night's sleep. The whirlpool tub was a hit with my wife, along with the complimentary bottles of water and popcorn. Breakfast was good, with the offerings changing daily. The breakfast area became quite crowded at times but there seemed to be sufficient seating for everyone. Everything was fresh and fairly well stocked, although with the crowd, the breakfast staff was barely able to keep up. They did make sure things were not empty for long. There are numerous shops and restaurants within walking distance of the property. The hotel itself appears to be well maintained with common areas clean and orderly. The porch area adjacent to the breakfast room was very nice with comfortable seating and excellent view. We found it to be a terific place to wait for the rest of our family. The entire staff was friendly and ready to please. I would not hesitate to stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Request a lake view room - you won't be sorry!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Gothenburg, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Crowded breakfast area i.e. waiting - rather stressful. Many shortages.

Staff walking around in the lobby eating & drinking, really irritating especially when you are hungry waiting for a table. Despite anyones hunger, it's hardly professional.

Big clock in lobby showing wrong time. I mentioned it to the staff, but they already knew.
Why don't take it away ?

Needed to stretch my legs and went outdoors and there the staff had a barbecue...., just right under the main entrance roof (!) because it was raining . Without an umbrella it was just to go in again.

Though, the room was clean and I'm convinced the bed-spreads are washed daily
as the filling/wadding now was to be found as a ball here and there.

Checking in went smoothly. Friendly, welcoming etc.

Checking out was another story.
First totally ignored as the staff had so much to discuss and laugh about so I had to interrupt and then I found myself 'punished' by be treated without any priority at all like a 'Persona Non Grata'. While handling my issue 'my' receptionist answered telephone calls, colleagues questions etc.and she toooooook her time.

As a foreigner you might not be familiar to a all Am.expressions and sometimes you have to ask twice.
E.g. I wanted to be sure that the cab picking me up accepted credit cards. I was told they had ordered a company car for me. OK perhaps every American knows that company cars accept credit cards. Do I ? No ! (For me a company car is something totally different) So I had to ask again to be convinced that I wouldn't end up at the airport in a cab not being able to pay for the ride. Now I became a complete i---t too, because, everybody knows that company cars accept credit cards.
End of story.

A chain of circumstances. Yes, I admit. But to take a second chance, risk actually, for that money. Never !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Lorri D, Manager at Hampton Inn Duluth, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I'm sorry that you received a poor level of service; this is not the Hampton norm as our goal is Satisfaction Guaranteed. I have addressed these issues with our staff. I apologize for the miscommunication about the town car to the airport. Our staff should be clear and courteous when responding to questions and assisting our guests. We never want you to feel undervalued or unwelcome-especially by our team. The next time you are in the area we would love to have you come back and experience an improved level of customer service.

I apologize for the issue with grilling under the car port. It was our annual luncheon and we did not want to let a little rain ruin the day. Especailly your day. Again I apologize your stay did not meet your expectations.

Thank you once again for your comments.
central Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Book early if you plan a trip to Duluth - if you want to stay in the Canal Park area. I picked the Hampton partly because I earn Hilton Honors points, partly because of the location in Canal Park, and finally, because it was the only Canal Park hotel with an available room. Mid week in late September, with no obvious conventions or big events and all I could find was a King Suite. It was overkill, more room(s) than I wanted to pay for, but I grabbed it.
The hotel is not new, but the common areas are well maintained and look as though they've had a recent cosmetic reno. The hallways and guestrooms are showing definite signs of age, the ceilings are low (possibly necessitated by building height restrictions in the area...nothing over 3 stories on the waterfront). Breakfast is okay - nothing to write home about but certainly adequate. Part of my lack of enthusiasm is that I had just stayed in a lovely Hilton in Minneapolis where the breakfast and happy hour perks were much better, there was an in house restaurant, and the price was almost half what I paid at the Hampton.

The fact is that you are paying dearly for the privilege of waking up to a sunrise on Lake Superior - and for the convenience of being able to step outside the door onto the boardwalk, and to many shops and restaurants in the immediate area. All in all, if you must stay in Duluth, Canal Park is the place to stay. In future I will do a lot more looking in advance, and try to find special offers.

One final note - the staff were extremely friendly and accomodating.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms cost more, but are worth it. The king suite was pricey, but it was nice to have room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

WE stayed here 2 nights last July, and after searching numerous other hotels found this to be a good price. When we arrived we had fast and friendly service checking in, and a basket of freshly baked cookies and coffee in the lobby, which was spacious and beautiofully decorated. The rooms were a good size and appeared to be recently redecorated. We had a lake view, which was beautiful and peaceful. The bathrooms were well equipped, though the coffee in the room was not the best (which is why I always pack my own), but the coffee in the lobby, which was available all time time, was much better. Free hot breakfast was quite good with hot items, cold items and fresh fruit. I would rate the breakfast very good in terms of selection and quality. The beds were very comfortable, white cotton sheets and duvets and lots of pillows, plus extra blankets if you needed them. When we checked out the front desk had pre-packed breakfasts to go, which I though was a great option if you were in a hurry. Parking was very convient, and never a long walk anywhere. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra a get the lake view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed there for two nights in late September 2012. The location is wonderful like the other hotels in the Canal Park area. The standard room is a small hotel room with the usual amenities of in room coffee, fridge and microwave. The carpets and bed were clean. The bed covers were the duvet style which makes controlling warm and coolness temps for sleeping hard to do without a blanket. The room had not been dusted in some time. The grout in the tub area at first glance looked like it was black, but further inspection made it evident that it was mold that had turned the grout black. The halls had a faint smell of cigarette smoke at times, even though the building was non smoking. The sound proofing from the hallway was either subpar or we had a bunch of very noisy guests staying there at the same time. We could hear doors slamming, people walking and talking through out the night. The breakfast was nice hotel breakfast fare with a hot egg choice each morning. The Minneapolis Star newspaper was available to take and read, even over the weekends.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lorri D, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Duluth, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, we always appreciate hearing from our guests. The health and safety of our guests is a top concern at our hotel. Let me assure you we take all complaints very seriously. The grout used in our bathrooms is indeed black, but to be sure we were not missing anything we alerted the housekeeping staff to check for any signs that it may need to be redone or touched up.

Let me also apologize for the noise disruptions. I’ve asked our housekeeping staff to investigate the root of the cigarette smell and eradicate that as well.

I hope this has belayed your concerns and I do hope the next time you return to area you consider staying with us again.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We come to this hotel about four times a year. It is close to the Twin Cities where we live, but far enough to get away from home. Entering the hotel you can see the beautiful Lake Superior. This also the view as you eat your complimentary breakfast. The selection is very large, typical of the Hamptons, but the view while eating can't compare to others. The rooms have all been redone and are very beautiful. The views are either of the city (very pretty at night) or the Lake, which of course we prefer and are incredible. You have the advantage of seeing the large ore boats that come in and out of the bridge. There is a lot of shopping and restaurants easily within walking distance. The city itself, is built on a steep hill....think San Francisco, but not as fancy. We love this hotel and it's great staff that welcome us back each time.

Room Tip: Ask for a upper floor with a water or canal view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn Duluth? Share your experiences!