“Another satisfying Hampton Inn stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save with the AAA Rate!
Ranked #6 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Minneapolis
“Another satisfying Hampton Inn stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I keep going to Hampton Inns because they dependably provide me what I need as I travel. I have twice this year stayed at the Hampton Inn in Canal Park on the Lake Superior shore in Duluth, Minnesota. I stayed here once for business and once on holiday. Like all the Hampton Inns I have stayed in, I got a clean quiet room, good service and a continental breakfast better than most that provide this service.

The Hampton Inn in Canal Park has the advantage of being within walking distance of many of the attractions of Duluth. Also, it has a nice sitting room off the dining area with a view of the Lake. It also provides bicycles for touring around. My family and I stayed in three rooms over the 4th of July holiday, when the tourist season was at its peak in Duluth. We never felt it was too crowded in the hotel, there was always easy available parking in the hotel lot, and it meant we were within walking distance of the waterfront carnival and fireworks.

When I stayed here for business my group rented five rooms. There were no complaints on the part of my group and the hotel accommodated our late arrival and some early rises. My experience at this Hampton Inn was consistent with others, maintaining my trust with this chain as I travel.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

358 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Weston-super-Mare, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We had a 3 night stay here in September - hotel was spotless, bed comfortable, location for Canal Park excellent, plus fantastic view of Lake Superior. Get up for the sunrise out your window if you can - or if the weather allows! Breakfast good - hot menu changed on each of the 3 mornings we were there. Staff helpful too. Having stayed in some of the more upmarket/expensive hotels in Duluth, would now put this one as my hotel of choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stay at this Hampton every year for the NorthShore Inline Skating Marathon. Prices for this weekend skyrocket - which isn't awesome - but this Hampton is a wonderful property. The rooms are spacious and the grounds are nice. The location cannot be beat - Canal Park is THE PLACE to be. The breakfast changes up every day, and we've always liked it. They work to keep the hot foods filled up, but some of the muffins and pastries weren't replenished at all during our 20 minutes in the breakfast area each morning.
One negative thing I will say is that this property chose not to participate in Hilton's 3Q promotion this year. There were many people in our group who are HHonors members who were disappointed to find out they wouldn't be getting their bonus points (I was the one who had to tell them the property was on the list of "non-participating properties"). Not the biggest deal, but still a disappointment.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Lorri D, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Duluth, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
I appreciate your glowing review of our property. I understand that you were unhappy with the room rate and I regret your disappointment. We do our best to stay comparable to other area hotels. We strive to create a wonderful and affordable guest experience. I’m sorry our hotel was not a participant in the promotion and we will keep this in mind, going forward. Thank you and we hope to see you soon again soon.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review!
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stay at this hotel once a year. I do Hilton Honors, so I generally pick it over the other hotels in Canal Park. I also stay during the week and on the city side, so I don't have comments about crowded breakfasts or the lack of balconies.

On one hand, I love this place because I love Hampton Inns. The breakfast, the nice people, and the cookies are all great. (I also love the pillows, but wish they were bigger.) But, the decor is getting shabby. The carpets are crappy and the drapes need refreshing. The elevator carpet is a faded bit of Las Vegas schmaltz.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lorri D, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Duluth, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hampton Inn Canal Park location. I apologize your stay was not what you expected.We have remodeled our guest rooms this past year from top to bottom. It has been about a year so there may be some wear and tear in some of the rooms that we can look into. We are also looking at remodeling the public areas in the near future. Again thank you for taking the time to review tha Hampton Inn Duluth. We look forward to seeing you again!
minneapolis,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed at Hampton two times in July, 2012 just one-night each. At first it seems it really was too good to be real, then....the unravelling began. The first room we were given was pretty small for a family of four (2 adults and 2 boys). But the sheets look and smell clean and fresh. The bathroom was really clean compared to other 4-star hotels. You know if it's clean if you check the hinges of the toilet seat as well as the inside rim of the toilet bowl - oh yes! I am that [--] - sort of OCD. However, the night we were there, there was something itchy on the bed. I thought it was some bedbugs and then I complained about it. They are serious about delivering good service. Immediately they sent somebody to check the mattresses we used and they called us and said they did not find any bedbugs and even go on to say that it might be something else that I could have brought on myself...They said and it is true that they clean and launder all sheets and the duvet. But not the fill inside the duvet. So I said, since they did not clean the duvet fill, it might be some dust mites on the duvet fill. They were insisting it was not so and they "did not see" anything. Of course they won't see if there are dust mites on the duvet fill, they need a microscope and some serious laundering of the fill. More frequent washing than when they think it is soiled already. But I did not go on to argue my case as I felt it was exhaustively pointless.

There's not even the standard customer service remark of "We apologize for your inconvenience but our findings indicate that ....." The girl who talked to me never felt any empathy over their empirical findings of it's-not-our-fault-it's-yours kind of talk.

Nevertheless, we still went ahead to book for our next trip and asked if we could be given a different room the next time. This time, it was better. When we came back in the middle of July, the room was bigger and the bathroom was bigger too and clean just like the last. This time I learned my lesson: we never used the duvet, after learning they clean it if they think it is soiled already. So, a good night sleep then.

Their breakfast buffet was better than Comfort Inn (last time I recalled when we went there 4 years ago). Their hot breakfast buffet has more choices - eggs, waffles, oatmeals, fruits, pastries, milk, coffee,fruit juices, fruit choices, and the like. I really did enjoy our breakfast...they really have good breakfast, in general. Also, they offer complimentary water bottles, as well as cookies and apples by the lobby. Really neat treats. So, in general, it is not bad...

Room Tip: Ask for bigger rooms but sacrifice the view, The bigger rooms are "city view" (meaning: fr...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing the Hampton Inn Duluth. I apologize for the response you received from the staff about the duvet insert. It should have been happlily replaced for you. I will be sure to review this with my staff so that it is hadled better in the future. Feel free to let me know when your coming to Duluth again and I will personally make sure your duvet insert is also freshly washed. Again I apologize for the response you received and I hope you will allow me and my staff to show you how much we appreciate your business and the time you took to write a review for us. Have a great day and we hope to see you again soon.
Franklin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

What a wonderful place to stay. The room was large, clean and beautiful. The lake was outside the hotel on one side and Canal Park on the other. Breakfast was hot and plentiful. You receive a warm welcome and all staff will greet you. We really enjoyed sitting outside of the hotel and viewing the lake. You get a fridge, microwave, king size bed, room divider and comfort. The cleaning staff leaves you a post it note stating all your sheets and duvet are clean!

Room Tip: Any room is good including the street side views
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
We are glad you enjoyed the beautiful Lake Superior. It truely is a sight to see. Thank you for such a glowing review. We hope to see you again soon!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The Hampton Inn sits on Lake Superior, in an excellent location in the Canal Park area. We stayed over Labor Day and found it to be clean with a friendly and accommodating staff. The Canal Park area has lots of things to do – art galleries, locally owned shops, and at least a dozen restaurants – within walking distance.

We paid a little more and chose a lake view room, which was well worth the money. Throughout the day and evening we watched numerous ships leave and enter the harbor. The sun rise over the lake in the morning was absolutely spectacular!!!

On the first day we were there we walked for miles along the shore on the Park Point peninsula – please note, you need to find a public access area, but once you’re on the beach you can literally walk for miles. On the second day, we walked for miles toward the main part of Duluth on the boardwalk that meanders along the lake shore through a number of city parks…always capturing a beautiful view of Lake Superior and the harbor area.

The room was cozy and clean – the bed was very comfortable. They provide free wireless internet that was easy to connect to. The pool, Jacuzzi, and workout equipment were adequate.

The hotel serves a nice variety of dishes for breakfast, which varies from day-to-day. Scrambled eggs, oatmeal, waffles, bacon, biscuits and gravy, breads, bagels, sweet rolls, fruits, etc. All anyone really needs.

All-in-all a nice find!

Room Tip: Choose a lake side room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn Duluth? Share your experiences!