“Always a Great Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save with the AAA Rate!
Ranked #6 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Herbster, WI
“Always a Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Right on Lake Superior in Canal Park, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better location in the area. The rooms are always immaculate and the staff friendly and know the area so very well. Within walking distance are shops, restaurants, and area attractions.
Were it not for the processed eggs for breakfast, I would have given it six stars. The eggs are disgusting.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for a lake front room and visit the Lake Superior museum just a little east of...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

351 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

This is a nice hotel situated on the lake. It is very nice, clean breakfast included. Near lots of restaurants which is quite walkable.
Friendly staff and info re the local cuisine.

Room Tip: They have lots of rooms and on the main level next the water front.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

For a 2 star property, it was a nice hotel. The price though was kind of steep and more reflective of a 3 star hotel. The breakfast was on par with other Hampton Inns I've stayed at. The breakfast area had a nice view of the lake and the Duluth lighthouses. I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Janet S, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Duluth, responded to this review, February 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we can serve you in the future. You mention the cost was a bit pricey. I can assure you our rates are in line with other hotels in the area. Duluth is a tourist town, and with being right on the lake and so close to shopping and restaurants it does affect our pricing. We do try to even it out by offering a complimentary hot breakfast, wi-fi, excercise room, pool and hot tub to name a few perks. We certainly understand the need to spend wisely and hope that your overall experiance at the Hampton is a pleasant one. Thank you again and have a great day!
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Duluth - Canal Park during a skating competition at the DECC. This is the second year in a row that we've stayed here and this year we noticed that the rooms were very clean, almost new, and thought it was the nicest Hampton Inn that we've ever stayed at. It's not typically the hotel I search for when travelling and have stayed in a couple that I wouldn't return to, but I would definitely go back here. Not sure if the rooms have been updated since last year?? The breakfast buffet was decent, the staff was friendly, and the room was clean and had everything we needed. Nice selection of pillows and soft bedding. It's a great location for tourists right on Canal Park with lots of nearby restaurants, shops, and tourist places. We'll be back next winter!

Room Tip: You can spend a little more for a lakeview.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

From the moment Sarah answered the phone when I called to make my reservation to the moment I walked in the front door and she greeted me personally, I've been impressed with this sparkly young lady who works the front desk at the HI-Duluth! Then I learned she's an antiques dealer (as I am) and knew I'd struck gold - a kindred spirit! Bravo to whoever hired Sarah - she's a gem in the crown of this wonderful hotel!

When I came "home" to Duluth this past September, the HI was booked and I was very disappointed! But this time I got lucky and returned to my home away from home to find it just as I left it: full of friendly people, spotless rooms, warm cookies, hot tea, and a wonderful public room overlooking my beloved Lake Superior. For my money, it just doesn't get better than this!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Stayed here over MEA weekend. Like so many other Hampton Inns, this was a great stay. Courteous staff, clean and well decorated property and rooms, very nice pool, great location near lots of restaurants, and a plentiful breakfast. This property have become one of our preferred places to stay in Duluth.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Our extended family returned to DUluth to attend the funeral of a beloved family member and the Hampton Inn provided us with good rate and very comfortable room. We had stayed in the hotel when it was first built in 1997 and the have maintained the same quality over the years. The rooms have been recently remodeled (some of the rooms were still u/c during our stay). The breakfast buffet was excellent as well as the breakfast staff (who were so kind to us). The room was very clean and appealing. Our stay was too short to enjoy some of the ammenities of hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Duluth? Share your experiences!