“Kind of pricey” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Des Moines, Iowa
“Kind of pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

For a 2 star property, it was a nice hotel. The price though was kind of steep and more reflective of a 3 star hotel. The breakfast was on par with other Hampton Inns I've stayed at. The breakfast area had a nice view of the lake and the Duluth lighthouses. I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Janet S, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Duluth, responded to this review, February 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we can serve you in the future. You mention the cost was a bit pricey. I can assure you our rates are in line with other hotels in the area. Duluth is a tourist town, and with being right on the lake and so close to shopping and restaurants it does affect our pricing. We do try to even it out by offering a complimentary hot breakfast, wi-fi, excercise room, pool and hot tub to name a few perks. We certainly understand the need to spend wisely and hope that your overall experiance at the Hampton is a pleasant one. Thank you again and have a great day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Duluth - Canal Park during a skating competition at the DECC. This is the second year in a row that we've stayed here and this year we noticed that the rooms were very clean, almost new, and thought it was the nicest Hampton Inn that we've ever stayed at. It's not typically the hotel I search for when travelling and have stayed in a couple that I wouldn't return to, but I would definitely go back here. Not sure if the rooms have been updated since last year?? The breakfast buffet was decent, the staff was friendly, and the room was clean and had everything we needed. Nice selection of pillows and soft bedding. It's a great location for tourists right on Canal Park with lots of nearby restaurants, shops, and tourist places. We'll be back next winter!

Room Tip: You can spend a little more for a lakeview.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Stayed here over MEA weekend. Like so many other Hampton Inns, this was a great stay. Courteous staff, clean and well decorated property and rooms, very nice pool, great location near lots of restaurants, and a plentiful breakfast. This property have become one of our preferred places to stay in Duluth.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Our extended family returned to DUluth to attend the funeral of a beloved family member and the Hampton Inn provided us with good rate and very comfortable room. We had stayed in the hotel when it was first built in 1997 and the have maintained the same quality over the years. The rooms have been recently remodeled (some of the rooms were still u/c during our stay). The breakfast buffet was excellent as well as the breakfast staff (who were so kind to us). The room was very clean and appealing. Our stay was too short to enjoy some of the ammenities of hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012 via mobile

We booked online so check in was a breeze. The front desk staff were very nice and gave us their undivided attention. We had a canal view room on the 3rd floor that was clean, had a nice view and a gleaming bathroom. My only complaint for this stay was about the coffee service. There was 24 hour service for coffee, but when I made mine in the morning the cream had curdled. I mentioned it at the front desk since I was checking out at the time.

We loved the canal park location because it meant that we could walk to the DECC for movies or a show. There are plenty of places to see and restaurants within walking distance. I think that this is where I'd stay next trip to Duluth.

• Stayed January 2012
Janet S, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Duluth, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review of our Hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay! We love having you here! I was one of the people at the desk during your check out. We really appreciate you taking the time to stop at the desk and let us know about the creamers. I notified the breakfast staff immediately and they were able to replace the creamers with a fresh batch. Thank you again for taking time to write a glowing review! We look forward to your next visit!!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Okay to be fair, I've only stayed at 2 other properties on the North Shore before but I always return here. I love the location in Canal Park and I love that you can see the lake from the breakfast area. Last time we stayed, we sat on the patio eating breakfast and watching the ships come in. It was perfect! Breakfast was the usual Hampton Inn yumminess and I love the big comfy beds! Staff has always been nice and courteous too. This is my favorite property to use as homebase for all of our North Shore adventures!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
St. Paul, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I hesitated and delayed writing this review, because I've stayed here many times.
Pro's: Location, location, location. Great views and easy walking access to restaurants etc. The porch in the front is a favorite spot for many.
Con's: workout facility, Crowded, small and one big tv vs. Machines with their own tvs.
It's time for a wake up call for the front desk staff. You never know how you will be treated upon checkin, or when calling in advance. Recent experience causing me to write this. I needed to add one night to an existing night. Diamond line, no problem. Front desk told me I "busted or overbooked" them, I would possibly need to change rooms for the two night
stay, which ended up downgrading my room type overall,and was told I was "lucky to have a place to lay my head, period". ??? Wow, I wondered if this was typical for diamond honors
members and was told they had several "pages of diamond and gold members to work
through, and all are treated equally."
I wondered aloud if they would be glad if I cancelled my reservation, was told my perogative,
so I did. Great stay up at the Residence Inn. I asked that the manager call me as she was not in, was never called, so can only assume the front desk staff never passed on the message.
Bummer. I like this hotel, have had inconsistent encounters with front desk, this last one was
the kicker. Hope it was just a bad day.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn Duluth? Share your experiences!