“Great Hotel when there is not a hockey tournament in town” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save with the AAA Rate!
Ranked #6 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Great Hotel when there is not a hockey tournament in town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Stayed at this hotel in early November and was delightful. Breakfast offers hot options of decent quality. Rooms are clean, beds extremely comfortable and the lakeview a real treat. Had to return for a family funeral between Christmas and New Years and there was a hockey tournament in town with teenaged boys . Rather than put them on main floor in one area they were spread out around hotel (several right across from our room). They were yelling, slamming doors at all hours and the coaches handled this by yelling obscenities at them in the hallway (we had a child with us) with no hotel monitoring anywhere to be found. We asked to have our room changed and were told the hotel was sold out yet when we checked in ten mins before that we were given a choice of floors not being told we would be right across from a hockey team. Hotel management needs to take more responsibility for the quality of stay for all their guests and should get their staff out in the hallways when they booked tournament teams. This was out of control.

Room Tip: Go for the lakeview side. Make sure there are no sports tournaments booked at the hotel before maki...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Janet S, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Duluth, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. I was disappointed to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We do try to keep hockey teams together in a localized area of the hotel. Unfortunately that depends on several factors. The main one being room types and number of that specific room type on which floors. We try to minimize the disturbance the teams can have on other guests by letting them use our meeting room for free. This gives them a space to gather. I apologize again for the noise issues you encountered.

I would also like to apologize for the staff not being able to switch your room number. Having not been there at the check in time I can't say for sure what happened in the ten minutes you were up in your room. If I had to guess I would think other people were being checked in during that time period and they were giving the other available rooms that you did not choose. If you would like more exact information I can certainly look up your reservation and check it out further for you.

I hope you will give us another chance to demonstrate our commitment to our guests, to you and your family in the near future. We look forward to serving you again!

341 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
loretto, minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

back again, remodeled rooms very satisfied with the upgrades plenty of free space in room
very helpful staff, coffee & cocoa available all day long & cookies later in day and early evening
we were there for the Bentlyville tour of lights so it was nice to come back and warm up,
breakfast was very nice. eggs, bacon, sausage, hot waffle's, cereal, fruit, juice, rolls, etc.
the morning staff kept busy with all the people, evening staff ( Jason D ) very polite & helpful,
hotel & rooms very clean, inside porch area very nice to have in the evening.
will always come back

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

My 2 daughters and I spent Halloween weekend at the Hampton Inn Duluth. The hotel is situated next to the lake and lake walk. It has a great sun porch, on ground level, with very comfortable seating. You can enjoy the view or walk out the door 30 steps to the lake walk.....we did both. Our room was very nice and had been recently remodeled with nice bedding and good pillows. We did not have a lakeview, which would have been more $$, but we weren't in our room enough to justify the cost. The breakfast was good not great. We were so close to all the shops and restaurants at Canal Park and only 3 blocks to downtown Duluth (which you can skip). Being that is was Halloween weekend, we walked over to the William Irwin ship for the haunted ship tour. The next night we went to the Duluth Playhouse and saw Rocky Horror Show. It was a lot of fun. We all decided we would stay at the Hampton again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011 via mobile

Fantastic location right on Canal Park and Lake walk. Our family loved the two room suite so we could stay up after kids went to bed. They remodeled them and we probably won't stay there again. The bathroom and massive tub is no longer attached to the bedroom, and there is TONS of wasted empty space. Breakfast is still great--we love the porch, but the layout and associated room price is not worth it for us anymore.

• Stayed July 2011
Lorri D, General Manager at Hampton Inn Duluth, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Hello and thank you for taking the time to offer feedback. You are correct in that we recently renovated our guest rooms, but I wanted to let you know that the original layouts are still the same! We have two different styles of 2-room suites and it appears as though you may have stayed in the other style on your recent stay. Since online websites may not clearly differentiate the differences in the two styles, I would recommend calling the hotel directly to make reservations in the future and describing the style you wish to have. We could make sure you are assigned the type of suite you prefer. I apologize for any inconvenience. I hope you will give us a chance to take care of your lodging needs in the future.

Lorri Drake
Inver Grove Heights
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stayed on the third floor, the top floor. It was so nice to look at the lake in the morning and at night. The sound of the waves hitting made for a good night sleep. Only issue at 6:30 in the morning the first ship was coming in, loud horns as we had the windows open. The breakfest was good, somewhat a long wait but the staff had said they were getting different equipment next month to help with the speed. Overall great hotel in the middle of restraunts and shops did not need to move the car to much. My family would stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Rochester, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed here on a leisure trip for a few nights. Overall, it was a good experience, with some caveats.

The Good

- The beds were wonderfully comfortable, clean, and soft. The pillows were plentiful and nice and plump.

- The room was fairly large, and the bathroom had plenty of room to move around it. You could even take a decent bath!

- Everything was cleaned well every day I stayed.

- Generally speaking, the room was quite quiet, although there was an odd sound coming from a vent one afternoon.

- The furniture seems to have been updated, and I love the huge wooden desk/tv cabinet.

- The pool is awesome, with lovely warm water and a very nice hot-tub to match.

- You really can’t beat the location. It has a breakfast patio that overlooks the water, and you can walk right down to the beach from the back of the hotel if you want to.

The Bad

- The technology in this hotel seemed to be having some problems. The internet was spotty and a little on the slow side. It had a bad habit of blinking in and out.

- They’ve upgraded to flat-screen TVs, possibly in HD (I’m not sure about that because the picture quality looks the same as ever to me). But these have several issues.
1. The channel can take up to 5 seconds to change. OK, that doesn’t sound like long but imagine trying to channel surf with that kind of delay.
2. There’s no TV guide channel. You have to look up the TV schedule online to find what you want to watch because, as mentioned earlier, channel surfing takes forever.
3. The remotes don’t seem to work very well. Sometimes it took me three or four tries to get the channel to the one I wanted. Say I wanted channel 38, often I’d end up with 3, 33, or 8 before I actually got the channel I wanted.

- Some of the hotel personnel seemed a touch grumpy, especially when you called down with a question. I know it’s frustrating when the phones are ringing off the hook, but one could at least fake being cheerful.

- Minor detail, but a couple of things got missed a few times. I didn’t get any toilet paper rolls put in the room the first couple of nights I was here, and had to go get them from the front desk.

Summary

This is a hotel that does a lot of things right. In fact, it gets all the most important things right. But if you like watching TV and movies either on the television or online from your computer, you may encounter some issues here. Still, I had a great vacation, wonderful nights’ sleep, and a really good time, so this hotel deserves to be checked out!

Room Tip: Book early, hotel sells out almost every night
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Janet S, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Duluth, responded to this review, October 8, 2011
Thank you for the kind review! I am sorry you did not have a channel guide in your room. It is something every room should have, I'm sorry that wasn't the case for you. As for the spotty internet and remote issues I have alerted the Maintenence staff to look into the issues. Unfortunately the delay on changing the stations on the TV is unavoidable at this time. Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We hope you will be back! We look forward to having you with us again!!
Lake Benton, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

This hotel is in a fantastic location to enjoy Duluth. You are right in the heart of Canal Park. You are within walking distance of lots of great resturants. The hotel itself is very new. The room was nice and clean. Breakfast was better than a standard contintental. But the eggs they had weren't the best. But much better than just rolls and coffee.

Room Tip: The rooms were nice, but it was pretty expensive because of the location.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn Duluth? Share your experiences!