“It's ok” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Moorhead, Minnesota
“It's ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

First of all, the hotel is pretty good. It's clean, with the typical Minnesota decor (I.e., hockey, ice, trees). The rooms are clean but shockingly small. Functional for business and not exactly conducive to relaxing. The stainless steel pools are a nice touch. The staff was average, not super friendly but not rude either.

The neighborhood really detracts from this hotel. It's a downtown hotel so you get the seedy crowd that is often present in cities. Duluth itself is pretty rough, in my opinion, and it really shows downtown.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Silver Bay, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Although freshly remodeled, not refurbished. Friendly, professional staff. Front entrance sketchy, a lot of questionable types hanging around. Garage not meant for large trucks. No place for a nice dinner. Lounge needs attention, remodeling and cleaning, manager watching TV, staff busy with regulars, off duty staff. Room was dusty, heater/ac needed cleaning. Seal on window failed, had to look out foggy window. Shuttle dropped me off, but failed to pick me up after calling front desk. Waited an hour at hospital, took cab back to hotel.

Good downtown location, with easy access to all downtown shopping and attentions.

Youth hockey players took over the place on Saturday, very noisy public spaces, pools packed.

Slow elevators.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Gerry_Goldfarb, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth Downtown, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dan M; Thank you for staying with us and for giving us a review on your stay. I'm very sorry for your experience you had during your stay at our hotel. I realize you are the gentleman who had me come up to your room and I hope you received my letter I left under your door as you had a "do not disturb" on your door when I returned to your room. But I did have my team immediately respond to your issues that day while you were gone except for the window that we are ordering. I want to again apologize for your room cleanliness and window being foggy. Again, I have addressed with my housekeeping team to ensure the areas you had pointed out are being focused on continually. Thank you again for pointing these out while you were here as we take cleanliness very seriously. I will also be addressing the restaurant comments immediately.

Thank you again for staying with us, we hope to see you again in the future.

Montrose, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We appreciated the newly renovated room and the location of the Holiday Inn, and the good customer service, but that's about it. The parking garage is a tad confusing with an odd entry that had many people almost entering the wrong way and then many people completely blocking traffic. The elevators are VERY slow - the slowest I've ever encountered. We ended up with a King Suite and were hoping our toddler would be able to sleep on the sofa sleeper, but no such luck since we ended up being located right next to the extremely loud pool area. Thankfully the bedroom door was quiet with the door closed, but once you were in the living room, it was ridiculously noisy.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Dear ZephyrMarie, Thank you for staying with us and for writing a review on our hotel. I'm very sorry that your stay was not the best. I'm sorry that our parking ramp is confusing but that is due to our entrance being on a one-way street which changes how people enter and exit. We have many signs up at the entrance to our ramp but still some people miss those and enter on the wrong side. Also, I'm so sorry for the elevators being slow and our pool area being loud during your stay. I have shared your comments with my team as we are constantly striving to make all of our guest stays enjoyable and for ways to improve so we appreciate your comments and feedback. If you could email me at: gerry.goldfarb@hiduluth.com; I would like to further discuss your stay. Thank you again for staying with us!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed on the 16th floor with an awesome view of Lake Superior! It was a fantastic room, clean and well maintained. I also very much enjoyed the Keurig K-Cup coffee maker - much easier and more modern than the standard hotel coffee maker.

Room Tip: The higher up the better view!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Gerry_Goldfarb, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth Downtown, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Aimie M, Thank you for staying with us and giving us a review! We are very happy you enjoyed your stay in one of our executive rooms on the 14th-16th floors that have the Keurig coffee makers! We hope to see you again soon! Thanks again.

Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is located in the middle of downtown Duluth and many attractions are walking distance from the hotel. The skyway system will get you most places out of the weather in the winter. There is an attached parking ramp, parking is free for hotel patrons. Staff are helpful, there is free daily paper and Starbucks coffee in the lobby for guests.

A plus in my book, comfortable beds at the Holiday Inn compared to the highly over-rated sleep number air mattresses at the name brand competition hotel located just a few blocks further south.

My only complaint- Wifi speed in my room was abysmally slow. I needed to connect to complete some work and it took over 3 hours to do about 20 minutes worth of work. It appeared the connection was seriously overloaded by hotel patrons. Time for a serious upgrade....

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Thunder Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The ease of using the skywalk to the arena was great. If you have a full size truck the parking garage is not the that friendly. Also unloading your belongs is not the best . Not enough luggage carts. The pool in our area was very nice looking although we did not really had a chance to use it as it was fairly full all the time.The pool on the lower levels was less used it looked nice as well but I not see a hot tub ,does not mean there was not one. The room was pretty well as posted as in the pics they supply for viewing.The bath room needed a small repair at the ceiling but nothing major .If you have an agenda in the Canal Park area then this is one of the places to stay. It is a little pricey for what you get ,they should supply breakfast as many other hotels in that area do .

Room Tip: The rooms in the upper levels in the center core are a bit of a walk from the elevator.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Tom k, Thank you for your review on our hotel and for staying with us! I'm glad you liked the indoor skywalk system we have here in Duluth that connects you with the DECC arena/canal area, and many downtown restaurants and shops. I'm so sorry to hear that we didn't have enough luggage carts available upon your arrival as we do have a large amount of them but some don't get brought down right away and I'm sorry for the inconvenience this caused. I wanted to mention that we also offer an over-sized parking area for larger trucks, if needed, for your next stay with us in our alley level parking area. Thanks also for mentioning our hotel having two pool areas, one on the 8th floor with a pool & whirlpool and one on the 3rd floor with a pool & kiddie pool. We look forward to you and your family staying with us again soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel includes free parking and a convenient location downtown not far from UMD and St. Scholastica. Rooms are clean but nothing fancy ....pretty good square footage. At $83 I would select this over most other options .....get a good breakfast at the old school Uncle Louie's Café several blocks away via car

Stayed November 2014, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth Downtown? Share your experiences!