“End of summer trip” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Saint Cloud, Minnesota, United States
“End of summer trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Well I first must say I was presently surprised as how nice this hotel was. I have not stayed at any Holiday Inn's for a very long time. The hotel lobby upon entry has been recently updated and it looks very nice and welcoming. You have a great staff at your front desk always addressing guests with a smile and also very curtious. They were never annoyed that both rooms we reserved kept asking for more K-cups as we are avid coffee drinkers. My wife and I stayed in the Siuer De lut sutie which was very cozy. We really liked the tile floor as you walk in and the shower with the glass door was very classy looking. The rest of my family stayed in one of your family suites and they were also very happy the service and the room. The only negative thing I found were the window sills in both rooms were pretty dirty. I took a wipe and cleaned them off. I know things get missed, but I thought you would like to know that. I will be back otherwise for another great stay,.

Room Tip: Ask for the Sieur De Lut Suite

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Thunder Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Spent one night in this downtown centered Holiday Inn. Room was clean and well laid out but bathroom was tiny, especially since this was a two Queen room. Paid $160 for a harbour view room but it was at least a mile away and largely blocked by a nearby building. Indoor parking was a plus as was the comp free wifi. Staff were excellent, especially at the checkin station - friendly, accommodating and informative. Dinner selections were quite limited with a pub style place on site, nothing more. Breakfast menu looked good but we sought our first meal elsewhere as we are accustomed to that meal being included in the price - certainly the norm in Duluth. All in all I felt the value wasn't there to justify the price. In addition to the points raised above the location in downtown was unappealing - rough looking neighbourhood in real need of revitalization.

Room Tip: I would NOT pay extra for a Harbour View room, harbour is too far away.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Very nice hotel compared to ones we usually stay in while in Duluth. The location is great and the skywalks make it quite easy to get around. Surprisingly quiet considering it's right down town. Beds are comfy so we had a great rest. Some mould on the bathroom ceiling, but that is to be expected when there is no fan in the bathroom...we weren't bothered by this....and the shower was amazing, I don't think my son has ever taken that long a shower!! Even with using travel points, I thought we got a good room, we've never had a problem, but others have mentioned it in reviews. There are 2 pools to enjoy, but we only used the one that was located on our floor. We took the advise of another reviewer and requested a higher floor which was a good idea...if you want quiet, I would suggest you not ask for a poolside room, I could see how they could be noisy with families enjoying the pool that is open until 10:30 I believe. We did not have a lake view and were quite happy. Again, great hotel, we will definitely book it again.

Room Tip: Higher floor and away from the pool atrium if you don't have patience for the noise.
St. Michael
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Not exactly quiet on the inside. Clean, updated. Does quiet down after 9:30 or so, by the 4th floor pool. Good stay for a family if your just looking for a room for a couple of nights for an event in town. Pretty easy to get to right off Superior. The reason for the parking garage setup is because it's on a one way street, enter to the left so you don't cross traffic leaving the hotel. Didn't use any restraunts within the hotel as we brought our own for breakfast and lunch. It is a jaunt to canal park as far as walking, just make sure it's during the day. Only the top floors really have a view. Most of the shopping is by canal park rather than by the hotel. Bus stops a typical city, yes you're going to run into "questionable characters" but that's what makes it city right? There are a few right in front of the hotel so we just exited via parking garage. If you want to be near all the sights stay on canal park side but you will hear the boats as well. The front desk was welcoming and accommodating, didn't have any issues.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the view, but only a few rooms not sure which. Away from the pool for quiet as th...
prior lake mn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I hadn't stayed here for a couple of years and was pleasantly surprised with the updated room I stayed in. Fridge, microwave, sink and updated carpet was way better than last time I stayed. Slightly inconvenient to canal park but not bad walk through skywalk. Room was clean and staff were efficient. Cost was very competitive compared to Canal park options.

As others have noted, you better like being next to the pool if you have a poolside or near pool room as I was treated to one hour of post dinner full throated Marco Polo by what sounded like dozens of tweens. This was followed by another hour serenade by an unhappy 1 year old. Good times! I was thinking about hopping in the hot tub but couldn't bring myself to open the door and step out into the increased volume.

If I still had a kid in hockey or the like and came here for a tournament this would be great. As a business traveler, not so much.

Great spot for downtown or walk to DECC but not optimal location if your destination isn't downtown.

Last comment, it is a minor quibble and I know no one can remedy, but what were they thinking when they designed the parking ramp? I feel like I am in the figure 8 demolition derby when entering or exiting.

Room Tip: If you don't have kids, stay away from the pool. Noise is significant.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I really liked that the parking ramp was right at the hotel entrance. I really liked the rooms. The rooms were clean and comfortable. I was not, however, impressed with the check-in staff. I felt hurried even though there was not a line. Nice pools.

• Stayed July 2014
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed here one night because my son was registering for college. I love that you pull into the parking ramp and then enter the hotel from there. This would be great if it is raining or snowing. The lobby was nice and clean. Our room was up on the 8th floor, and the elevators seemed nice and quick. We have a view of the city though, not the lake. Two queen beds, nice sheets and pillows. The bathroom needs a good cleaning, and fan. Evidence of mold on the ceiling. The hotel has a little mall connected to it, that was nice for breakfast and a late night drink. I'll probably stay some where else when we move him in. I decided to try a different hotel each time we visit.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Gerry_Goldfarb, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth Downtown, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear MB, Thank you for your review on our property and for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback and comments. Yes we love our covered parking ramp especially if it rains or snows and also our Holiday center mall with our three restaurants and other stores. Thank you for bringing to our attention your bathroom ceiling; we are having our maintenance and housekeeping teams go room to room on that floor to check and clean any ceilings/fans that look dirty, etc.

Again, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will come back again soon.

Gerry Goldfarb
Holiday Inn & Suites
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth Downtown? Share your experiences!