“Have stayed here a few times, always satisified” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #17 of 31 hotels in Duluth
Minnesota
“Have stayed here a few times, always satisified”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This Holiday Inn offers nothing too special, but it is a solid place to stay. The pool is in the center of the hotel, with many floors overlooking it. The layout is fine, the rooms are nice (but not too nice; I'd recommend some updating).

Friendly staff, too. I didn't need to rely on them too much, but they were always pleasent and helpful.

The location of this Holiday Inn can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it. On one hand, it's crammed in downtown Duluth, so you're nearby many hotspots. On the other hand, it's not in Canal Park, but that's a minor quip.

Overall, thumbs up!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Gerry_Goldfarb, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth Downtown, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We appreciate your comments as we discuss these among our team meetings to improve our hotel in any way we can. Good news! We are in the middle of our huge guest room renovation and our guest rooms are being updated floor by floor. We look forward to you staying with us again and checking out our newly renovated rooms in progress.

Gerry Goldfarb

319 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Goodland, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn a couple years ago in one of their pre-updated rooms and was not all too impressed. I've since returned this December and stayed in one of the updated rooms and was pleased. Definately improvements happening. Also, the staff is excellent, they will go above and beyond for any request you have. Much appreciated! One bonus to the place is that they have an in town shuttle van which is super useful, all you have to do is call the front desk and set up a time for them to bring you to your destination.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife and I usually stay in Canal Park when we overnight in Duluth on our way north. This time we were late getting into town and decided to try the Holiday Inn and Suites. We offered them about half of what they wanted for the room (and got it--always worth trying late in the day), but I guess we got what we paid for. My wife refused to walk barefoot on the carpet, which was a Rorschach test of stains. It was a place to sleep, and that's about it. Would definitely not go there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth Downtown, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear tallguy442,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I'm very sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel and the cleanliness of the room. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Edina, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time staying here, we stayed in a kids suite. All of the rooms are in need of an update. Our room had water leaking or draining from the heating unit which caused the carpet to be wet by it. The sink countertops are so low, that you have to stoop to wash your hands ( my relatives staying in a non kid suite said the same thing). The two pool areas are nice, but again, it seems like if I visited in the 1970's, nothing would have changed. It seems very convoluted to get from one place to the other in this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
Gerry_Goldfarb, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth Downtown, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your review on your stay at our hotel. I want to apologize for your room condition during your stay. I have shared and discussed this with my team and we have taken steps to make sure the heating units in all our kids suites are not leaking since I'm not sure which room it was you stayed in. I also wanted to let you know that we are currently going through a large renovation project on all our guest rooms, corridors, and much more. We hope you will give us another try in the future. Thank you again for the review and feedback.
Thunder Bay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I frequently travel to Duluth and have stayed at the Holiday Inn Duluth many times. We stayed there last month and all was well until we came home and found our credit card was charged not only for the night we spent there in early December but again in late December (when we were not there). When my husband called to complain and have the charges reversed he was told the hotel accountant would be calling him back. When she called back she gave him nothing but attitude saying it was our fault and we had booked the room and not called to cancel. This is simply not true as it was charged for a Thursday night stay and my husband works every Thursday not to mention we would not have gone away this close to Christmas! An apology would have been nice in addition to knowing how this error happened in the first place. Credit card numbers should be handled with care!! As I said our experience has been good up unitl now but we won't be back if this is how we are treated!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth Downtown, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear debino,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us and we greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. We apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This hotel appears to be a little worn but the people that work there go out of their way to make you comfortable and it is convenient to the entire city. The rooms are clean (top priority) as are the common areas. Overall, this was a nice place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

This place is really awesome! The staff is great Kayla at the front desk is awesome, she had an amazing smile always on her face whenever we walked pass the desk and was so great to my family and I. The view out to the lake is breath taking when you look out the window in the morning! I definitely would like to come back for the whole experience again! If I had one complaint I would say I didn't care for the sauna or the pool much, but who cares when your getting good service!

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth Downtown? Share your experiences!