“Your Average Texas Roadhouse” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 228 Restaurants in Duluth
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Your Average Texas Roadhouse”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is your average Texas Roadhouse, except with employees that look like they wished they were dead. If not dead, at least not currently working at that place. I've been to the one in Coon Rapids at least 4 times and the employees have a lot more fun there. They're quite enthusiastic, in fact. The employees at the Duluth location did a very half-hearted dance when the time came (it's what they're supposed to do as a part of their job--line dancing to a certain song). I thought it was ironic that they have on a shirt that says "I <3 My Job" and their attitudes and manner say something totally different.

The food was OK. My ribeye steak was pretty good, but my boyfriend's roadkill was tiny. It's supposed to be 10 oz of meat but it looked like he was lucky if he got 6oz. We've gotten it at the Coon Rapids location before and it was huge. He also ordered steak fries as one of his sides and it was about half the size order of what we'd have gotten at CR. He was like, "Wow, this is what I'm supposed to eat?" It was our one meal of the day, and his meal was pretty pathetic. At least mine was decent. I ended up giving him at least 1/3 of my steak.... As for the rest of my meal, the side salad I ordered was good, but my "loaded" baked potato was pretty sad. I paid $.99 more for hardly anything. Anyhow, the buns were good, as usual, but that's not the only reason to go to a restaurant (save Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay Biscuits....).

All in all, I wish we had gone to one of the special restaurants in Duluth instead of this chain. It was just kind of meh compared to what we had been having in Duluth. I'd rather we had saved our money and calories for something better. Duluth is expensive, and I expect good food and service for my money. Everywhere else we went stepped up to the plate except this place.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Duluth, MN
“Yum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Went for our anniversary with another couple. We all ordered something different and all agreed it was excellent. Server was Casey and he was nice, friendly, and checked back to make sure we were happy. He was familiar with the menu, also. We decided Tues. was a good night to go, got seated immediately. Prices were inline with other restaurants.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Duluth, Minnesota
“ugggh”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

If you like huge amounts of meat with grease, and lots of noise in a dark setting, this is your place. Last time I was there, I ate 1/3 of the meat on my plate, and became sick from it.

Visited February 2013
Babbitt, Minnesota
“Good Ole Texas comes to Northland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This was our first time going here, so we weren't sure what to expect. We did go on a Saturday night, and it was Duluth's UMD graduation. They do not accept reservations, but they do call ahead seating. Now, as a tip, call ahead seating does not mean that you are seated at the time you called ahead for. It is not a reservation, which it seemed liked on the phone. It just may cut your wait time, but, in the end, it is worth the call ahead. A family arrived shortly after us and did not call ahead, and they were seated 45 minutes after us.
When you call ahead, they suggest to call ahead an hour before coming to the restaurant, but to arrive 15 minutes before the time you given. The call ahead system starts out automated, where there are different options to choose from. Then, when you get to a live person, you may have to give more details for what you need. Then, you give them the time you want to eat, and they will give you a confirmation number. When you go in at the time you said and give them that confirmation number, they give you a pager that will vibrate when they have your seat ready. It was nice that the staff came out and gave a sample of their Deep Fried Pickles while we waited outside.
As for handicapped accessibility, parking was good, and the doors have a pole in the middle. A standard wheelchair would fit through. Once inside, let's just say it's the customers that you have to worry about, some of them would not move out of the way to let me through. The table they sat us at was way in the back. On the phone, they made it sound that the tables for wheelchairs were right inside the restaurant. Luckily, Texas Roadhouse has an awesome staff that were very helpful to stop traffic and help navigate to our table.
It is very loud in the restaurant, with loud country music playing and people talking. At times, it was hard to hear our family talk, and even hearing our waitress talk about the different cuts of steak and menu items was difficult. Our waitress was very helpful, knowledgable on the menu items, and answered any questions we had. She checked on us often and brought refills when our drinks were low.
Now, the food, through all the wait, plowing through customers, the navigation to the table, and the loud noise: Texas Roadhouse is the place to go for steaks! They give you a basket of bread with a cinnamon flavored butter that they bake fresh every five minutes, and they will bring more. And, I can't forget to mention the bucket of peanuts on the table, where you can throw the shells onto the floor.
So, don't let the wait, the crowds, or even the noise keep you from enjoying a great steak and the other tasty menu items they provide. Our family gives Texas Roadhouse in Duluth an A- with the couple of issues the food. But, the service was outstanding.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Duluth, Minnesota
“Value Plummeting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Its good chain restaurant. The service is competent. The food is -ok, how to describe - the food is ok. There is no French chef hiding in the back. But over the period of the last few years prices are up about 20%, portion sizes are down and upselling is WAY UP. What used to be a real treat of a night out has been transformed into an average mass-produced, cost-optimized, dull dining experience. We are locals and might have gone for the last time tonight. Bummer.

• Visited June 2013