“Go Definitely For Live Music, Drinks, Dessert!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #28 of 226 restaurants in Duluth
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Black Water Lounge is Duluth's premiere martini lounge. With a full bar, hand-crafted cocktails, exquisite lounge food, live jazz music and lady's night, Black Water is the finest upscale martini bar in the Duluth-Superior area. Black Water Lounge is located in Duluth's Old Downtown and was once the home of the Black Bear Lounge in the historic Greysolon Plaza. Host an event at Black Water's Manhattan Room - perfecy for Anniversary Parties, Engagement Parties, Birthdays & Corporate Gatherings! Rent the entire lounge on a Sunday for your larger group!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Go Definitely For Live Music, Drinks, Dessert!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I hardly ever get to hear live music in the Cities, so this was a great find. We went to the Blackwater our first night staying in the Duluth area. It was a Thursday, which is their 1/2 price sushi and martini night. The place was hopping! I loved the energy. Their jazz band is awesome, by the way. We got a corner table right by the band and was able to experience it fully. The ambiance was sexy, romantic, sophisticated, and cozy.

I loved the decor in this place. It seems so intimate, especially in the room off to the side on the second level. There is a fireplace there, plus comfy circular booths and armchairs for conversing casually. If you want to hear the music but still be able to talk, this is the place for you. There is also a more open floor and a bar on the other side of the restaurant if you prefer that.

We ordered several martinis, some sushi, and the red velvet cake. The martinis were good and strong despite the 1/2 price tag. The sushi we got was something I believe was called the dragon roll and I thought it was OK, but not as good as some of the sushi I've had around here. The cake was delightful, however. I am not a huge fan of red velvet, but I devoured this. Awesome, awesome, AWESOME!

About the waitstaff...our waitress on Thurs was very attentive despite being slammed with patrons. She even recognized us on Friday when we came back and welcomed us and stated she was glad we were there again. So thanks for the A+ service, guys.

All that being said, I would recommend going on Thursday. It is rather expensive otherwise, and it was almost kinda dead when we went back on Friday. The atmosphere just wasn't the same, and the drinks we ordered actually seemed kinda watered down (why when they're full price?). I was not impressed with the menu, either...not a huge variety and $$$. I guess they have the live music Thurs-Sat 6-10 PM, so make your way to this place if you happen to be in Duluth during that time. (I'd definitely aim for Thursday, though.)

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Katie M, Marketing Director at Blackwater Lounge, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback! We look forward to seeing you at Black Water Lounge again soon!

87% Recommend
Duluth, Minnesota
“thursday ladies night a must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

50s night club style. wonderful lounge music. 1/2 price martinis and sushi apps. service is at times excellent/disappointing. unfortunately if you are a martini drinker the martinis are sweet and weak.
sushi and other apps overall very good/excellent. thursdays are crowded but fun.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Katie M, Marketing Director at Blackwater Lounge, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful and kind review! We greatly appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you at Black Water Lounge again soon!
“Very nice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in while walking downtown and had the best martini of my life. The atmosphere was amazing and the stuff very helpful and courteous. I will definitely make another trip to this bar on my next trip to Duluth.

Visited July 2013
New Jersey
“Sierra took care of us at the bar!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We always enjoy meeting our friends here for a pleasant evening. The bar is the starting spot. Then we go to the dining room with the excellent view of the Great Lake. I enjoyed the steak and crab cakes.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Katie M, Marketing Director at Blackwater Lounge, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! We greatly appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again real soon!
MN
“Excellent ambiance, great food & drink options”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Blackwater Lounge was much better than I had anticipated in terms of ambiance, decor, and food options. I had skipped past the menu when researching places to eat in Duluth because it's a lounge and my other experience with a Duluth lounge was not conducive to an upscale night out meal. I wish I hadn't done that...
We came on a Saturday for drinks, some fabulous live music, great seating/lounge options, including the under-lit bar. We had already ate, but tried the lobster roll with pineapple, which was fabulously fresh and unique. We liked the menu so much (but were not hungry enough to eat more) that we decided to come back the next day and were talking about coming back all day. To our dismay, the lounge is closed on Sundays and we were so heartbroken we momentarily contemplated staying until 4pm the next day just to eat there!

The cocktail and martini options were great. There were many infused vodkas.

The reason I gave it a 4/5 rating was the service. A college-age girl working behind the bar recommended sweet options when I said I did not care for sweet drinks. The customer next to me ordered 4 drinks, and she had trouble taking the order and could not make the drinks (basic drinks off the menu.) Some of the other servers seemed a little harried and service was slow in general. Granted it was about 10p on a Saturday night and so was very busy, nearly full. But I would expect at the caliber of lounge this places bills itself as that the service would match, in particular from someone working directly behind the bar. However, it was obviously a great enough experience that we would have come back the next night, and truly enjoyed our visit there!! Would highly recommend.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Katie M, Marketing Director at Blackwater Lounge, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you so very kindly for your wonderful review! We are so greatful for your business to Black Water Lounge and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Been to Blackwater Lounge? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Blackwater Lounge, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.