“NOT on the Lake” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Tallahassee, Florida
“NOT on the Lake”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

First, let me say that it is important that you know that this hotel is NOT on the lake. That said, it is an excellent hotel. We found the rooms clean, comfortable, excellent for a three night stay. The nearby grocery store and shopping was very helpful. It is quite a drive down to the waterfront - and that was too bad. For some reason, I just didn't realize that when booking the hotel.

It's the only reason why I'd give this a less than excellent rating - otherwise it was just a fantastic stay all around. We would stay here again. But, if you want to be on the waterfront - keep looking!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are good - the hotel is very new, and nicely laid out.
Green Features: It is a new, up-to-date hotel and they offer all the environmentally friendly options (recycling, reusing your towels, etc).
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
ResidenceInnDth, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much for your review!

Unfortunately, it's inevitable that every now and then travelers are caught off guard that our property is not located directly next to Lake Superior.

However, we're confident that the service and amenities offered by our property are superior for the area. We're glad that despite the mix up you still enjoyed your stay and we hope that the next time you're in Duluth you will consider staying with us again!

Residence Inn by Marriott-Duluth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

The rooms are huge, immaculately clean and have all the comforts of home. The front desk was extremely helpful with an early check in and spot on with recommendations for seeing the highlights in Duluth. We selected this hotel based on trip advisor ratings and have not been disappointed. We also reviewed trip advisor things to do list and totally agree with the top five here in Duluth.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your great review!

Another affirmation of how great TripAdvisor can be for travelers. We're very fortunate that travelers have recommended our property to others - and we're glad that it has meant great stays for others.

We hope that if you plan on visiting Duluth again that you will give us a call!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

My wife and I were in Duluth for Grandmas Marathon (she ran, not me) and the hotel staff/accommodations were great. Friendly staff, good breakfast and only 10 minutes to canal park. If you can't stay by the lake, you can't go wrong staying here

Stayed June 2014
ResidenceInnDth, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much for your review. We hope that the race and your stay went well & we're hopeful that you will stay will us again for Grandma's Marathon in 2015!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stayed here in July 2013 for a weekend away from the twin cities. I must say that this place offered more than I was expecting from a hotel. Helpful and friendly staff. I was surprised how pleasant the staff was and helped suggest hiking trips in the area for us. Spotless and clean throughout. Near a fair amount of shopping and restaurants. Location is good to make your base camp while going on day trips around the area. It is removed (not walking distance) from the downtown area, but an easy drive down the hill. The rooms were excellent and spacious and better than some 5-star hotels I have stayed. Good selection at the continental breakfast in the morning. Arrive early as it is popular. Great staff, great stay. I have recommended this hotel to numerous friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your great review! We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate that you have recommended us to others. We understand that it has been awhile since you last stayed but we hope that you will visit us again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

We stayed in this hotel from March thru first of June. What a great place with a wonderful staff. They got to know us and spoke every time we saw them. Great lobby area for hanging out. Breakfast and dinner were always good. The pool area is nice, however the hot tub is way over chlorinated. Ruined my wife's bathing suit. The patio area was also very nice and we took full advantage of the gas grill on the weekends. Would recommend this place for anyone headed to Duluth

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Amana, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

My family and I have stayed here a couple times and I don't have a single complaint about this business. Spacious, clean rooms. Hotel is pretty new so everything is very nice. Comfortable beds and always quiet. The breakfast is great. Good selection of food and always had plenty available. Friendly staff.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
ResidenceInnDth, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you very much for your review, we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying with us!

We hope that the next time you're in Duluth we will have the opportunity to offer you another great stay!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

My job brings me to Duluth 3-4 times a year, and I've tried a number of hotels in the area. This one has so far won me over as being the best I've stayed in.

It is situated a little way from the downtown, which is probably a good thing. And there is very good access to shopping and dining. Ample parking and a seemingly calm and safe neighborhood.

I'm not sure when it was built, but it is modern and fresh. Doesn't feel dated at all. The lobby is pleasant, and the staff I've interacted with have been friendly and professional.

You'll find a well stocked mini shop by check in. Also several nights during the week they provide free food. Whilst it isn't going to win a Michelin Star any time soon, I was actually pretty impressed on the two nights I ate there. In fact to tell the truth I have paid for food in hotel restaurants that were nowhere near as good as what they offer for free here!

I was upgraded to a corner king suite which as usual for a Residence Inn has a full sized kitchen complete with decent sized fridge freezer, dishwasher, oven, hob, and microwave. There was a good sized table for two and a separate work desk, with ample plug in point all over.

This kitchen area flows into the living room with a large sofa and sitting chair, a fireplace (which is a really nice and oft necessary piece of equipment in icy Duluth), and big screen TV. Decor was pleasant as are the furnishings.

There's a decent sized sink and bathroom area, and separate bedroom with king bed and another big screen TV.

Housekeeping was efficient and didn't make any mistakes the whole time I was there. Everything being cleaned and tidied as I would expect with good attention to detail.

Duluth is not New York, you are not going to have a million choices of hotels up here. But for most people's needs, this is good solid quality accommodation that is going to be hard to beat around here.

If I had to complain about anything it would be that my bed was just average. I've had far better in many Marriott properties. It wasn't bad, I just found the mattress ordinary.

My other concern would be a lack of covered parking. This is an area that gets a LOT of snow. Heck it even snowed today, and it's MAY! So I'd be concerned staying here in the winter that I'd have to spend some time digging my car out of the snow. Other similar hotels, such as the Holliday Inn downtown have ramp parking.

Other than those two observations, this is a very nice property, doing a great job. I've already booked my next stay here.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to a room with a fireplace if you're staying in the many many cold months that D...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
ResidenceInnDth, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you very much for your review, we are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed staying with us!

We very much appreciate positive reviews, but it's even more gratifying to hear praise from guests who have stayed at some great properties across the country.

In regards to parking. Although covered parking at our hotel is limited, we certainly aim to be proactive when it comes to snow removal and guest assistance during the winter months. We hope that will not deter you from staying with us in December (or May!) when it might be snowing in Duluth.

Again, thanks so much for the review and we hope that you will visit us again soon!

Residence Inn by Marriott-Duluth

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth? Share your experiences!