“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Duluth
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stayed here in July 2013 for a weekend away from the twin cities. I must say that this place offered more than I was expecting from a hotel. Helpful and friendly staff. I was surprised how pleasant the staff was and helped suggest hiking trips in the area for us. Spotless and clean throughout. Near a fair amount of shopping and restaurants. Location is good to make your base camp while going on day trips around the area. It is removed (not walking distance) from the downtown area, but an easy drive down the hill. The rooms were excellent and spacious and better than some 5-star hotels I have stayed. Good selection at the continental breakfast in the morning. Arrive early as it is popular. Great staff, great stay. I have recommended this hotel to numerous friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ResidenceInnDth, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Thank you very much for your great review! We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate that you have recommended us to others. We understand that it has been awhile since you last stayed but we hope that you will visit us again soon!

Residence Inn by Marriott-Duluth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

We stayed in this hotel from March thru first of June. What a great place with a wonderful staff. They got to know us and spoke every time we saw them. Great lobby area for hanging out. Breakfast and dinner were always good. The pool area is nice, however the hot tub is way over chlorinated. Ruined my wife's bathing suit. The patio area was also very nice and we took full advantage of the gas grill on the weekends. Would recommend this place for anyone headed to Duluth

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Amana, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

My family and I have stayed here a couple times and I don't have a single complaint about this business. Spacious, clean rooms. Hotel is pretty new so everything is very nice. Comfortable beds and always quiet. The breakfast is great. Good selection of food and always had plenty available. Friendly staff.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
ResidenceInnDth, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you very much for your review, we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying with us!

We hope that the next time you're in Duluth we will have the opportunity to offer you another great stay!

Burnsville, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

My job brings me to Duluth 3-4 times a year, and I've tried a number of hotels in the area. This one has so far won me over as being the best I've stayed in.

It is situated a little way from the downtown, which is probably a good thing. And there is very good access to shopping and dining. Ample parking and a seemingly calm and safe neighborhood.

I'm not sure when it was built, but it is modern and fresh. Doesn't feel dated at all. The lobby is pleasant, and the staff I've interacted with have been friendly and professional.

You'll find a well stocked mini shop by check in. Also several nights during the week they provide free food. Whilst it isn't going to win a Michelin Star any time soon, I was actually pretty impressed on the two nights I ate there. In fact to tell the truth I have paid for food in hotel restaurants that were nowhere near as good as what they offer for free here!

I was upgraded to a corner king suite which as usual for a Residence Inn has a full sized kitchen complete with decent sized fridge freezer, dishwasher, oven, hob, and microwave. There was a good sized table for two and a separate work desk, with ample plug in point all over.

This kitchen area flows into the living room with a large sofa and sitting chair, a fireplace (which is a really nice and oft necessary piece of equipment in icy Duluth), and big screen TV. Decor was pleasant as are the furnishings.

There's a decent sized sink and bathroom area, and separate bedroom with king bed and another big screen TV.

Housekeeping was efficient and didn't make any mistakes the whole time I was there. Everything being cleaned and tidied as I would expect with good attention to detail.

Duluth is not New York, you are not going to have a million choices of hotels up here. But for most people's needs, this is good solid quality accommodation that is going to be hard to beat around here.

If I had to complain about anything it would be that my bed was just average. I've had far better in many Marriott properties. It wasn't bad, I just found the mattress ordinary.

My other concern would be a lack of covered parking. This is an area that gets a LOT of snow. Heck it even snowed today, and it's MAY! So I'd be concerned staying here in the winter that I'd have to spend some time digging my car out of the snow. Other similar hotels, such as the Holliday Inn downtown have ramp parking.

Other than those two observations, this is a very nice property, doing a great job. I've already booked my next stay here.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading to a room with a fireplace if you're staying in the many many cold months that D...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
ResidenceInnDth, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thank you very much for your review, we are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed staying with us!

We very much appreciate positive reviews, but it's even more gratifying to hear praise from guests who have stayed at some great properties across the country.

In regards to parking. Although covered parking at our hotel is limited, we certainly aim to be proactive when it comes to snow removal and guest assistance during the winter months. We hope that will not deter you from staying with us in December (or May!) when it might be snowing in Duluth.

Again, thanks so much for the review and we hope that you will visit us again soon!

Fort Frances, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I booked this hotel strictly by tripadvisor reviews. I usually stay downtown, but wanted to stay near the shopping area, and passed this place a few times. It was worth it! I was greeted with 2 super friendly faces, and even when I was slightly confused on where I was booked in at (There's another Marriott, but not residence, up the road, and I might have hit the panic button as I thought I booked the wrong one lol), a nice quick check in got me into my room. Now, I've never stayed at this chain before, so I was shocked, but there was a FULL kitchen in the room! Right down to a dishwasher!! Now, the name hints that it's meant for more than a one night stay, but I actually asked if I was upgraded rooms for free, because it was great! I didn't check out many of the amenities, but the dining area seemed nice, and there was a group of people enjoying their take out in the area, I peeked in the pool and all the kids seemed happy. The beds were super comfy. My only critique was maybe parking, there isn't much around the hotel, but there's a big dirt lot off to the side. But I'm really grasping at straws, here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your review, we very much appreciate your kind comments. We must say, we were pretty excited about your review just by looking at the title!

We're glad that TripAdvisor was helpful in your choice to stay with us. We find it to be an incredibly useful tool for travelers looking for hotel recommendations, especially those who may have only been accustomed to staying in one part of the city, but are looking to try something different.

We're glad that it worked out for you and certainly hope that you will stay with us again soon!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

The location was great with good proximity to shopping and restaurants on the hill. We found the suite very clean and representative of what you would expect from this 'brand'

We stayed here during Grandma's Marathon, 2013. The staff were very energetic around the events taking place, and we found them all to be pleasant and helpful. The hotel is only a few blocks from the mall, where shuttle buses pick up for the start of the race.

My only negative (picky) - It seemed to me to be quiet a hike to carry things in and out of the hotel from the parking lot to the room, especially if you parked in the back (long ramp).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review, we're glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We appreciate your comments about our hotel and hope that your stay was a memorable one. If we're fortunate enough to accommodate you while in Duluth again, please let us help you with your bags. Although, we don't have a traditional bellman for assistance with bags, we would be more than happy to get you situated, especially for such a big weekend!

Thank you again for your great review. We hope that you will stay with us again soon!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We have stayed here before and are never disappointed. From a professional, pleasant check in to check out, it is always great.

We had a great room and felt so at home. Left a tip for housekeeping and got a personal thank you upon our return---nice to know it was appreciated. As always the room was spotless.
The beds are comfortable, the kitchen area is great, much above any place else we have been.
Love the separate sink from the rest of the bathroom, just everything is a cut above.

The breakfast is very nice and has an a great array of options, definitely different than most. The staff there was cheerful, accommodating and helpful. Nice little sections where you can have a more private breakfast if you want or need to. Again, all of the touches are helpful and very appreciated.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review, we're very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are strong proponents of the little things being the difference between a good stay and a great one and your comments definitely validate that sentiment. It's very gratifying to hear that our team's efforts were recognized and we will make sure to pass your comments along.

Again, we appreciate your kind words about out hotel and hope that we will have the opportunity to provide you with the same level of service again soon

Residence Inn by Marriott-Duluth

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth? Share your experiences!