“Loved this hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Hopkins
“Loved this hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed here at the end of a two week road trip on our way home to the Twin Cities. This was by far the BEST hotel we stayed at on the entire trip. The staff were friendly, welcoming and provided many suggestions for places to go and eat. The room was amazing - like a studio apartment. There was even a full kitchen! There was a guest laundry which was very reasonably priced and the laundry products were available at no cost at the front desk. The free breakfast in the morning was a great value too. While we were not on the waterfront, the drive down the hill took little time and the value here is worth it. I would stay here again - and would seek out Marriott properties based on my experience here.

Room Tip: Our room on the east side overlooked the patio - not noisy at all though.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ResidenceInnDth, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your review---we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

We very much appreciate and are honored to have been "the BEST hotel you stayed at on your entire trip". We take pride in providing our guests with an excellent experience, but we would be lying if we said we didn't have GREAT guests. We hope you had a very enjoyable vacation & we hope to see you again soon!

Residence Inn by Marriott-Duluth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

My stay was first class from the second I walked in. Watching people cook out, nice fire going. The A/C worked great,my room was spotless and I was also upgraded. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Duluth.

• Stayed August 2013
ResidenceInnDth, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth, responded to this review, August 22, 2013

At the Residence Inn by Marriott-Duluth we aren't satisfied unless our guests had a great experience. We also love Marriott Rewards Members. It's free to sign up, and it allows our staff to prepare for your arrival by making sure that all of your needs are accommodated--before you arrive!

Savage, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed in a one room suite and were really impressed with the quality of the room. It was perfect for our family. The staff was all very friendly, wonderful heated pool, great morning buffet. There's a nice outdoor fire pit our family enjoyed sitting around and talking in the evening. My only concern was one morning there was a young man clearly passed out on the outdoor couches- not much of a view for breakfast with our family. We let the front desk know but they didn't seem concerned. As it started to sprinkle he put a pillow over his head. IMO, I felt he should have been asked to leave.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

We are definitely surprised to hear about the person "passed out" on the patio during your stay. People often like to relax on the patio furniture, but we agree that it's not normal had it been raining. This is the first time this has ever occurred, and we will closely monitor any similar situations in the future. We apologize if it made you feel uncomfortable in any way, but we are also happy to hear it was an enjoyable stay for you.

Saint Paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

First Impression: I usually stay at a downtown hotel but decided to venture into the interior of Duluth. In short, I am happy that I did. The Residence Inn is located off of a busy parkway. However, once inside it feels very warm and inviting. The hotel is updated. The lobby contains a fireplace that can be enjoyed on three sides. There is an outdoor fire pit and grill as well as an indoor pool.

Staff: I was greeted by an enthusiastic young man upon check-in. It appeared that he really enjoyed his job, which made for a fun check-in. Everyone I encountered at the hotel was very nice!

Room: My room was beautiful. Very clean and well put together. I was apprehensive about staying at a lower star hotel but gave it a chance because of all of the reviews I had seen. I was on the top floor which is the 4th floor. My room overlooked the parking lot. Across from the lot was a bunch of mature trees. When I entered all I could see were the tops of the trees. It wasn't until I step to the window and looked down did I see the parking lot. It was a very nice view especially waking up in the morning seeing lush tree tops. My room was located on the opposite side of the busy parkway.

Location: The hotel is conveniently located near an array of restaurants, mall, gas stations, and grocery stores all of which are within a 1 to 5 minute drive. Cub Foods appeared to be within walking distance. The property is within a 10 minute drive to tourist attractions like Enger Park and Tower (amazing views of Lake Superior here), Chester Park Trail/ Dan Proctor Hiking Trail, Canal Park, and the Glensheen Estate.

Extras: The hotel offers free hot (waffles, sausage, eggs, etc) and cold (cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, etc) breakfast. They also have free evenings offerings on some nights. They had chicken wings, fresh vegetables with dip, and baked sweets one of the evenings I was there. The food was good. They also offer free internet but I did not use it as I "unplug" myself when on vacation so I do not know how the service was. Also, free parking!

Con: The only downside was that the pillows were skimpy. They were so flat that I might as well have been laying on my back. I had five pillows so I was able to bunch and fold them up to my desired comfort level.

I highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the opposite side of the busy parkway on the fourth floor. Great view of tree tops.
Green Features: They offer a choice of housekeeping. You indicate such by using a door hanger that you place on the outside of your door before housekeeping makes their rounds.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
ResidenceInnDth, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth, responded to this review, August 13, 2013

We truly appreciate the time and consideration that was put into your review of our hotel. We take pride in how we operate our hotel--and it is very gratifying to receive reviews such as yours that validate our efforts. We will continue to work diligently in providing a MEMORABLE experience for all of our guests.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I could not decide whether to give this hotel a four or a five. If four point five was an option, this would have been my choice. Overall, the property is wonderful. I am very picky, however, and expect perfection when I give a hotel a five. The issues here were very minor, so I rounded up to five.

Pros: Perfect location if you don't want to be in Canal Park. If you want to do non-touristy, practical shopping, this is the place to be. Cub Foods is next door and is accessible on foot by a dirt path. The mall, every kind of department store you can think of, and many popular chain restaurants are also just up the road. Even though we visited as tourists, there were attractions we saw outside of Canal Park, so this was just as handy as anywhere else. I was unable to find a two bed/bath suite with the amenities I sought anywhere else in Duluth. The kids enjoyed the pool and said the water was warm. A free, delicious supper is served three nights per week. Several side dish choices were offered. Two people appeared to be working the supper and they stayed on top of things. The rooms and common areas were clean. The hotel is quiet. The kitchen in our room actually had an oven, which I have never seen at competing all-suite hotels. The housekeeping staff always smiled and said hello, even initiating contact. Also, competing chains seem to take longer to get suites cleaned. Last year we visited a Staybridge where our room was not cleaned until 5:00 every day. The Residence had ours clean before noon. The front desk staff was also cheerful and helpful. Our request to face away from the street was honored. They cooperated with two changes of our reservation and did not get things mixed up. We did not encounter one grouchy employee. Even the man picking up trash outside greeted us. There were two elevators that functioned well. We never waited for an elevator. The hotel is newish, so the decor was trendy.

Cons- For the price of the room ($199) and the age of the hotel, I expected a better mattress. It was rather hard and basic. We had to buy a pizza pan. This seems like a standard item for a kitchen with an oven. The morning breakfast attendant had a challenging time trying to keep up with the breakfast rush. I could tell the difference that two employees made when they served supper. With the exception of one long table, the breakfast tables were too small. They had booths by the front windows which could seat five, but the tables were not big enough for more than a couple of plates. The maids did not keep our kleenex and toilet paper stocked. One bathroom went without kleenex for two days. We were on our last half roll of toilet paper and they did not stock a new roll. I found our full bathroom trash bad lying on the bathroom vanity.

With the exception of the mattress, these cons were all minor. If we were to return to Duluth, this would continue to be my first choice of lodging. Whoever has trained the staff has done an exceptional job.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the busy street out front and away from the garbage dumpster (the truck com...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ResidenceInnDth, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth, responded to this review, August 5, 2013

We are so grateful for guests like yourself that take the time to thoroughly review our property, in an effort to help others. Although we take pride in offering our guests with excellence service--we always welcome the opportunity to improve--so thank you for both the pro's, and the con's.

We are certain that your review will help others in their hotel selection process, so we thank you again. We wish you the very best, and we hope to see you again soon!

Highland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We booked a flight from Las Vegas to Duluth,MN. Flight scheduled to depart at 2:30 pm and arrive in Duluth,MN at 7:30Pm. We booked a room at the Residence Inn in Duluth for July 19th and 20th. We waited until 7:30PM to board our Allegiant Air flight to be taken off and flight cancelled. I called to the Residence Inn twice on the evening of the 19th. First time I spoke with Mike and advised we would be late. Then I called again and spoke with Hanna at approximately 8:30 pm and advised flight cancelled we wouldnt be able to make it to cancel our reservation. She advised me that I couldnt cancel with the Hotel directly that I should call Expedia and she provided me a phone #of 210-477-1089. I didnt book thru Expedia so they couldnt help me either. We were in the worst rain storm I have ever been in,so we found a place to stay for the night. I starting calling Priceline and Residence Inn this morning. Per Mike at Residence Inn he will cancel and refund the 2nd night but not the first. I understand it is not the Residence Inn's fault I did not make it to Minnesota, but it is also not my fault either. I do not believe that you have provided me the best customer service. I am asking for a full refund for both nights. So if anyone out there is planning a trip to Duluth you might not want to stay at the Residence Inn if this is the best customer service that they provide.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ResidenceInnDth, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Robin,

We understand your frustration with the situation, and your recent travel plans.

According to our records, this reservation was made through a third-party booking website, in which case the reservation must be cancelled through that particular party; in accordance with their cancellation policy. We feel that we did our best in contacting the third-party in order to have the second night canceled and refunded to you.

Additionally, any reservation made directly through our hotel includes a cancellation policy that states the reservation may be cancelled without penalty any time before 6 p.m. the day of the reservation. We received a call from you at 8:30 p.m. (10:30 p.m. CST) at which point it was unfortunately too late to cancel the reservation.

Again, we apologize for the circumstances, and we wish you the very best.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We spent a night at this property and frankly did not expect much, but we were VERY pleasantly surprised. It is a new, beautiful hotel and offers really nice amenities. We stayed in a 2 room suite which was elegantly decorated and had brand new appliances with very comfy beds. The front desk staff were great, efficient and helpful and the other staff members were equally exceptional. The free breakfast was very good...eggs, waffles, sausage, oatmeal, fruit, bagels, toast, etc. served in a nicely appointed breakfast area. They have a fenced in basketball 1/2 court which would be fun for kids. There is no restaurant on site, but there are several close to the hotel.

Room Tip: Since the hotel is set back a ways from the main road, it did not appear that the rooms in the front...
Green Features: Marriott has good environmentally friendly policies in place for all their hotels.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
ResidenceInnDth, Public Relations Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth, responded to this review, July 21, 2013

Although our hotel is over 2 1/2 years old now, we do our very best to keep it looking "brand new". We take a lot of pride in keeping the hotel looking great--while also providing the very best service to compliment the physical aspects of the hotel. We LOVE the comment that you were "VERY pleasantly surprised"!

Thank you again for your great review, and we hope to see you again soon!

Residence Inn by Marriott-Duluth

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth? Share your experiences!