“Very Nice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Minnesota
“Very Nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great hotel. Convenient - We had a one bedroom unit and there were no cooking utensils in the kitchen area. We were told they don't put them in all the units. Thought that a little strange but they did try to help us out. Very competent and friendly staff. Will stay there again especially if we are staying more than one night and want to do some of our own cooking.

Room Tip: Sorry there is no room service. Accidentally hit the button and can't remove the rating.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Minnetonka, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My family (two adults, one teenager) stayed in a one-bedroom suite for one work-week night in August. I was a little surprised by the rate (north of $200), but I think Duluth was hopping that week. It's true that the hotel is not in the main tourist area, but Duluth is so small, that's not a significant issue. As noted by many, breakfast was plentiful, but the food very corporate (don't expect homemade muffins-- it's a Marriott). The hotel is new with modern furnishings. The only weird thing-- no sheets or blankets for the hideaway bed. The front desk sent up a blanket it scrounged up. Not sure what was up with that-- maybe the room hadn't yet been stocked?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Macomb, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This hotel must be fairly new because it is very modern, the rooms are clean, and the staff were very helpful. The location is just out of downtown, but not too far from the waterfront. Just watch for deer running through and near the parking lot across the main road. I saw a lot of deer during my two night stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
RIGenManager, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Hello Shawn_MI,

Thank you for taking time to review your recent visit with us. The joys of living in Northern Minnesota is the wildlife! That's great you were able to experience the true nature of our area by seeing the deer in our parking lot. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Looking forward to your next visit with us--

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed here on business. Great value for the money. Staff is friendly and helpful. Location is within 10 minutes from the airport and 15 minutes to downtown. Will definitely stay again when traveling to Duluth.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hi vangorcp,

Thank you for your review---we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

Looking forward to your next visit--

Plymouth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

As the previous reviewer writes "this proprty exceeds this brands standards" and I definitely agree. Having stayed at Marriott Residence Inn's across the country - this is probably one of the nicer properties. The front desk is friendly and helpful. The lobby is warm and inviting and has a great complimentary breafkast on weekends and weekedays - that actually goes until 10 am - so you can sleep in, should you want. The rooms are impeccable - modern, up-to-date and clean. They are also much bigger than the typical Residence Inn properties and have all the amenities that you would expect. My only problem with these properties is the hair dryer - - it should be a much better one given the property - a very minor touch - but something that should not be overlooked.

Overall - this is one of the nicest / if not the nicest places to stay in Duluth. I highly recommend!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello amybojo,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us this fall. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Also, thank you for your loyalty to Marriott hotels.

We look forward to seeing you again soon--

Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We now arrange to stay in Duluth when traveling through the area. This fairly new property is operated by a caring staff. The place is immaculate, access is easy, choice of restaurants, Miller Hill Mall nearby. Weeksdays there is either a complimentary evening meal or drinks, etc. HVAC is quiet. No negatives we can come up with.

Room Tip: Back or side of the hotel is away from the busy road
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ontarian59,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us--

We are so glad that you visit us when driving through Duluth---Looking forward to your next visit!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've been visiting Duluth since I was a child, so I've been to the city a lot. Thus, I've stayed at many hotels and B&Bs in the area. So when I say that the Marriott Residence Inn is the best in the city, I MEAN it.

Additionally, I'm a Marriott Silver Elite, so I stay at Marriott-branded properties often. This hotel exceeded ALL of my expectations. We stayed over Labor Day weekend.

Check in was an easy process. We arrived a bit early and our room wasn't ready but no biggie. The staff offered to hold our luggage for us. We decided to bum around the nearby mall and hit up Target for some things we forgot.

Room: We had the King Suite w/ the fireplace. The room was beautiful, spotless and modern. Granite countertops in the kitchen and in the bathroom. Plenty of plug-ins for all of our electronic gadgets -- also plugins near the bedside tables, which is great because these days, everyone uses their phone as an alarm clock. The Wi-Fi is fast and requires a password but you will get this when you check in. I love the Paul Mitchell hair care products in the bathroom!

Workout room: I used the workout room both days during my stay. The equipment is modern (cardio machines have TVs). Towels are fully-stocked and they even provided HEADPHONES (individually wrapped) for your use in case you forget them. I thought that was a nice touch.

Breakfast: Loved this! Full breakfast bar with waffle irons (plus fresh fruit toppings and sugar free syrup!), sausage, potatoes, bagels, etc. Two ladies were workin' the breakfast area and were attentive and friendly.

Staff: So, so nice! I can't say enough good things about them. Everyone was friendly and welcoming.

Cons:

I mean, I'm getting nit-picky here. Don't get me wrong, I WILL ABSOLUTELY stay here again.

Breakfast: This is more of an annoyance with the other guests than the hotel itself. The only thing I didn't like was the eating area that's right off the buffet area. The lobby/eating area is HUGE but people seem to want to sit & congregate RIGHT.THERE. Kind of annoying because you have step past all these people eating breakfast in order to get to the food. SPREAD OUT, PEOPLE. It's a HUGE lobby with lots of seating and tables. You don't all need to gather right there by the food!

Location: This can be a con for some but for me, I don't care. But I thought I'd mention it anyway because I know some people will care. This hotel is more in the "non touristy" area of Duluth, (thus it keeps the families away, which is nice) but it's a quick drive to Canal Park. If you need to pick up something (like I did. I needed another pair of shorts) it's a quick drive to the Miller Hill Mall and Target. If you need groceries, Cub Foods is within walking distance. Plus lots of places like Caribou Coffee, Starbucks, a bowling alley and some chain restaurants. Don't let the location put you off! It really is a short drive down to the touristy stuff.

Parking Lot: It's kind of small. Again, we stayed over the busy Labor Day holiday, so the hotel was hoppin' and it was tough to find a parking spot.

Final thoughts:
Stay here. Don't bother with any other hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hello there OwlYaDoing,

Wow, Wow, Wow---THANK YOU for such a wonderful endorsement! Clearly by your reviews here on TripAdvisor you've been to your fair share of hotels. We really appreciate that you've put us at the top of your list!

I'd like to give you a property update since your last visit; we've expanded our parking! We've recently added 20 additional parking spots for our guest which has been wonderful. Looking forward to your next visit so you can experience the new lot yourself!

Thank you again and we really do appreciate the fact that you took the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor world.

Take care and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Erin Maruska

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth? Share your experiences!