“Stayed at several Residence Inn property and this is one of the best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Plymouth, Minnesota
“Stayed at several Residence Inn property and this is one of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

As the previous reviewer writes "this proprty exceeds this brands standards" and I definitely agree. Having stayed at Marriott Residence Inn's across the country - this is probably one of the nicer properties. The front desk is friendly and helpful. The lobby is warm and inviting and has a great complimentary breafkast on weekends and weekedays - that actually goes until 10 am - so you can sleep in, should you want. The rooms are impeccable - modern, up-to-date and clean. They are also much bigger than the typical Residence Inn properties and have all the amenities that you would expect. My only problem with these properties is the hair dryer - - it should be a much better one given the property - a very minor touch - but something that should not be overlooked.

Overall - this is one of the nicest / if not the nicest places to stay in Duluth. I highly recommend!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
RIGenManager, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Hello amybojo,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us this fall. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Also, thank you for your loyalty to Marriott hotels.

We look forward to seeing you again soon--

Erin Maruska

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We now arrange to stay in Duluth when traveling through the area. This fairly new property is operated by a caring staff. The place is immaculate, access is easy, choice of restaurants, Miller Hill Mall nearby. Weeksdays there is either a complimentary evening meal or drinks, etc. HVAC is quiet. No negatives we can come up with.

Room Tip: Back or side of the hotel is away from the busy road
Dear Ontarian59,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us--

We are so glad that you visit us when driving through Duluth---Looking forward to your next visit!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've been visiting Duluth since I was a child, so I've been to the city a lot. Thus, I've stayed at many hotels and B&Bs in the area. So when I say that the Marriott Residence Inn is the best in the city, I MEAN it.

Additionally, I'm a Marriott Silver Elite, so I stay at Marriott-branded properties often. This hotel exceeded ALL of my expectations. We stayed over Labor Day weekend.

Check in was an easy process. We arrived a bit early and our room wasn't ready but no biggie. The staff offered to hold our luggage for us. We decided to bum around the nearby mall and hit up Target for some things we forgot.

Room: We had the King Suite w/ the fireplace. The room was beautiful, spotless and modern. Granite countertops in the kitchen and in the bathroom. Plenty of plug-ins for all of our electronic gadgets -- also plugins near the bedside tables, which is great because these days, everyone uses their phone as an alarm clock. The Wi-Fi is fast and requires a password but you will get this when you check in. I love the Paul Mitchell hair care products in the bathroom!

Workout room: I used the workout room both days during my stay. The equipment is modern (cardio machines have TVs). Towels are fully-stocked and they even provided HEADPHONES (individually wrapped) for your use in case you forget them. I thought that was a nice touch.

Breakfast: Loved this! Full breakfast bar with waffle irons (plus fresh fruit toppings and sugar free syrup!), sausage, potatoes, bagels, etc. Two ladies were workin' the breakfast area and were attentive and friendly.

Staff: So, so nice! I can't say enough good things about them. Everyone was friendly and welcoming.

Cons:

I mean, I'm getting nit-picky here. Don't get me wrong, I WILL ABSOLUTELY stay here again.

Breakfast: This is more of an annoyance with the other guests than the hotel itself. The only thing I didn't like was the eating area that's right off the buffet area. The lobby/eating area is HUGE but people seem to want to sit & congregate RIGHT.THERE. Kind of annoying because you have step past all these people eating breakfast in order to get to the food. SPREAD OUT, PEOPLE. It's a HUGE lobby with lots of seating and tables. You don't all need to gather right there by the food!

Location: This can be a con for some but for me, I don't care. But I thought I'd mention it anyway because I know some people will care. This hotel is more in the "non touristy" area of Duluth, (thus it keeps the families away, which is nice) but it's a quick drive to Canal Park. If you need to pick up something (like I did. I needed another pair of shorts) it's a quick drive to the Miller Hill Mall and Target. If you need groceries, Cub Foods is within walking distance. Plus lots of places like Caribou Coffee, Starbucks, a bowling alley and some chain restaurants. Don't let the location put you off! It really is a short drive down to the touristy stuff.

Parking Lot: It's kind of small. Again, we stayed over the busy Labor Day holiday, so the hotel was hoppin' and it was tough to find a parking spot.

Final thoughts:
Stay here. Don't bother with any other hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hello there OwlYaDoing,

Wow, Wow, Wow---THANK YOU for such a wonderful endorsement! Clearly by your reviews here on TripAdvisor you've been to your fair share of hotels. We really appreciate that you've put us at the top of your list!

I'd like to give you a property update since your last visit; we've expanded our parking! We've recently added 20 additional parking spots for our guest which has been wonderful. Looking forward to your next visit so you can experience the new lot yourself!

Thank you again and we really do appreciate the fact that you took the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor world.

Take care and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Twin Cities
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I read the reviews and couldn't believe a Residence Inn would deserve all of the kudos. Well, not that we stayed there for a couple of nights I'm a believer.

The rooms are very nice and compare in quality to a Westin/Hilton. The kitchen areas are superb and granite/wood touches throughout the rooms really add to the experience.

Add to that real HD TVs, comfortable beds, and nice amenities and you have a winner.

If you can afford the two bedroom suites, get them. They are off to the corners and away from other rooms.

I'm still shocked how much we liked this place. Great visit and highly recommended.

dave9956,

We are beyond thrilled that we've made you a believer! We are so glad that we exceeded your expectations of our hotel.

We look forward to your next visit---Thank you for the glowing review.

Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

If you're really into the tourist experience, you might want to pick a property that's located near the harbor on near the lake. Otherwise, we were very happy with this property and the drive down to the harbor, Canal Park, downtown, etc was only about 5 minutes.

If you're someone who uses the kitchen, there's a Cub Foods right next door.

There were two people taking care of breakfast, instead of the usual one at most Residence Inns. It seemed to really make a difference.

Room Tip: The rooms on the back side basically have a view of what looks like a forest.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hello Irvine_TSH,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your summer visit to the Residence Inn by Marriott-Duluth.

We look forward to having you as our guest again soon--

Guy_From_Normal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This hotel has a lot going for it. It is fairly new and modern. The lobby and social/eating area was well designed. The staff is very courteous and all speak fluent English. It only had a few cons, but I would definitely stay here again if I was in the Duluth area. Pros and Cons are listed below:

Pros
+ Exceptional fitness room. Free weights, towels, water, modern treadmills and stair climbing machines.
+ First-rate breakfast. Staff was very courteous and made sure we had everything we wanted. The Manager’s Social Hour had excellent food also. Tables were kept clean.
+ Excellent and comfortable furnishings. New furnishings and large rooms.
+ Comfortable bed and pillows.

Cons
- There were small hair shavings all over the granite bathroom counter from a previous guest. These were difficult to see, but you would expect the counter to be clean upon check-in.
- Parking lot may not be large enough, since some cars were parking on the grass adjacent to the parking lot.
- Our bedroom door (within the one bedroom suite) would not remain open, as it would swing closed.

Room Tip: Recommend requesting a room on the back side of the hotel. We could hear truck and motorcycle engin...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hello Guy_From_Normal,

Thank you for taking time to review your summer visit with us. By the looks of it, you had the opportunity to experience all of our amenities that we have to offer here at the Residence Inn by Marriott-Duluth.

One exciting note I'd like to share with you; we've extended our parking! Since your visit we've been able to add an additional 20 parking spots for our guests. It's been so nice.

Looking forward to your next visit---

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel many times since it openned and are always amazed how nice and clean it is. Great service and location. The staff there will give you information, make reservations for dinner and tell you how to get places. They have great cookies on the counter too..

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Greetings jam597,

Thank you for being such a loyal Residence Inn by Marriott-Duluth guest!

Next time we see you, we will be sure to have the cookies waiting---

Erin Maruska

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Duluth? Share your experiences!