“First time for dinner was 'just okay'” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Duluth
“First time for dinner was 'just okay'”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

We went with a party of four for work, because of the 'sustainability' statements. Our dinners okay. Although other reviews had ratethe currey rice bowl with chicken as great, I thought it was a lot like a fajita stir fry and nothing I'd order again. The prime rib dinner looked good---but pricey, and the one item off the menu that isn't offered anymore was the last item that was 'ordered' by one of the party, so he scrambled to find a second choice.

• Visited April 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Appleton, WI
“great food, excellent atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

We enjoyed the food here. It was simple with a splash of gourmet. In other words, nothing on the menu that will scare you away but enough adventure there to make it fun! The pomme frites are OUT OF THIS WORLD! I'd go back just for an order of these greasy (in a good way) little potato slivers the rest of the world calls French Fries! WOW!
I had a pasta dish that was just a bit salty but the sauce was fantastic and I enjoyed it thoroughly.
The lemon/berry/gingersnap dessert is another item that is worth the trip. It disappeared before we realized we had devoured it, that on full stomachs!
I would say this is a nice place to take a group of people to have a good time, or to pick a quiet table in the corner for a romantic dinner. The interior decoration and lighting here are very contemporary and make for a unique setting.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
California
“Go to this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

This 'arty' cafe in downtown Duluth is really fun. The menu is good, the service fine. Upstairs you can have a nice view of the downtown main street. It is part of an 'art theater' complex, and so is a bit 'edgy', in a fun sort of way. Nice wait staff. We highly recommend this to get out of the gourmet (well, Duluth style) ghetto down by the shore and into town.

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Excellent Dining Choice in Duluth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

My wife and I were passing through Duluth on our way to the North Shore and someone recommended the Zeitgeist to us for dinner. We found the food VERY good with a interesting mix of Asian and new American dishes. The smoked gouda stuffed dates appetizer were particularly tasty. Wy wife had the curry rice bowl and enjoyed it, but I had the pressed fig prosciutto sandwich and it was REMARKABLY good. In fact, that sandwich alone would be reason for me to come back to Zeitgeist if I am ever in the area again.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis
“Excellent Option Downtown Duluth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

My wife and I decided on dinner at the Zeitgeist and weren't disappointed. We were in town during one of their busiest weeks with the Tall Ships in town and weren't sure what to expect. The restaurant was busy, but not packed (to our surprise actually). We were sat at a nice table upstairs overlooking downstairs diners, becuase of the loft structure of the place. We had a fantastic waitress that wasn't pushy and actually suggested that my wife doesn't order a seperate salad, because there was a small side of greens on the ravioli dish she ordered - most wait staff would just tack it on and drive up the bill without saying anything. Her ravioli stuffed with wild mushrooms grown locally and a nice and light cream and herb sauce was delicious. I ordered the salmon and it was prepared perfectly with nice side of cous cous that wasn't overcooked. Our bottle of wine was great too, and their selection was good by the way. The highlight of the meal had to be the bacon wrapped dates stuffed with smoked gouda as an appetizer. Wow - so much flavor and yet not too much going on. Based on what we looked at, this is your best option downtown right now. Also, some of the proceeds go to the arts, so that was a big bonus for us too, since we are supporters of that cause.

• 5 of 5 stars Food