“Great stay.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Great stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

We visited the inn at the end of November. The place was cozy and our suite was very nice. Breakfast was wonderful.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

We stayed there with friends in adjoining rooms the last weekend of September. We paid $300 for two rooms for two nights and thought that was a great deal. The rooms were supposed to be a kitchen suite, and a jacuzzi suite. I didn't care about the jacuzzi because I would NEVER EVER use one in a hotel/motel, and hope no one would. That is just gross! The kitchen suite had a kitchen sink, microwave and little refrigerator but no utensils of any kind. So we never used it.

The decor had a cute, cabin feel, but it was somewhat tired, and could have used a thorough cleaning. The backyard was nicely landscaped and we took advantage of the bonfire and also sat outside one morning and played cards. The free was breakfast was fine except whoever was supposed to make it on Sunday - overslept and it wasn't ready until almost 8:30. I would give the place a B. It could get a better score with just some good old fashioned elbow grease in the cleaning department and maybe an alarm clock for the help.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Upon arrival we had to drive through what felt like an older, run down part of town. The outside of the Inn was MUCH different than we expected. To be honest it looked like a dive, but we were willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. We really liked the idea of the bikes they provided to ride the nearby trails (per the Internet).

We checked in and were taken around back to the lower level where our room was located. The patio area with the BBQ was again not what we expected. The doorway to the room was filled with debris and the screen door was very old. Our first attempt to get the actual room door open failed and we had to go get help.

The room was okay, but could have used a full out cleaning. There was hair balled up behind the bathroom door and was enough to make the overall room feel dirty.

The bikes for the trail ride were nice - the saving grace of the visit.

The morning after we left (we only stayed one night) we realized we forgot our son's retainers. I immediately called and spoke to one of the cleaning ladies. She assured me they had the retainers and would mail them to me. I gave her my address and phone number and offered to pay the postage for mailing them to me. Two weeks later I called when the retainers did not arrive and was told they had been too busy to ship them. They again promised to mail them to me. A week later I called and spoke to Will Munger who again promised to get them to me. It is now a month and half later and no retainers. What a sad joke. I'd held off writing a review and had planned to be more forgiving if they had sent the retainers as promised. Since all they did was cost me $300 to get them replaced I do not feel so inclined.

If you are looking for a "nice" place to stay with your family in the Duluth, MN area I would not recommend the Willard Munger Inn.

Room Tip: pick a newer, different lodging
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011 via mobile

Great place and location. Very accommodating. Both staff and guests were helpful in helping my father to the hospital after his motorcycle accident. Thank you to all involved. Other pros include tbe zoo across the street, trail access and good rates.
Thank you again.

• Stayed August 2011
Saint Paul, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

I was excited to meet Willard Munger and learn the connection to the famous trail. I was very disappointed and utterly shocked at how rude he was. The place was not warm and welcoming. I would have been much happier at a standard motel/hotel and could have saved some money to boot.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Johnson City, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

A Minnesota friend told us about this place and the rate was okay, so we took it. The rooms are a lot better inside than the exterior would lead you to believe. However, Motel 6 and Super 8 would provide similar quality rooms at a lower rate. If it hadn't been raining and we had had the time to take out the provided bikes, I think it would have been worth it since there is a paved bike trail right outside their door.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
ellsworth, Wisconsin, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

Our stay here was not great. If you are staying here because of their offer of FREE ski passes at Spirit Mountain, take another look. They are not entirely included in the room rate like they make you think, and our bill was a lot more then we had thought it would be. Additionally, the 'Whirlpool' that was in our room spat out specs of rust every time we tried to use it. They gave us a very minimal refund for this inconvenience, and I would never recommend this motel.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Willard Munger Inn? Share your experiences!