“Wish we would have stayed somewhere else...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Willard Munger Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duluth
Willard Munger Inn
7408 Grand Avenue, Duluth, MN 55807   |
Ranked #9 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
Michigan
“Wish we would have stayed somewhere else...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Upon arrival we had to drive through what felt like an older, run down part of town. The outside of the Inn was MUCH different than we expected. To be honest it looked like a dive, but we were willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. We really liked the idea of the bikes they provided to ride the nearby trails (per the Internet).

We checked in and were taken around back to the lower level where our room was located. The patio area with the BBQ was again not what we expected. The doorway to the room was filled with debris and the screen door was very old. Our first attempt to get the actual room door open failed and we had to go get help.

The room was okay, but could have used a full out cleaning. There was hair balled up behind the bathroom door and was enough to make the overall room feel dirty.

The bikes for the trail ride were nice - the saving grace of the visit.

The morning after we left (we only stayed one night) we realized we forgot our son's retainers. I immediately called and spoke to one of the cleaning ladies. She assured me they had the retainers and would mail them to me. I gave her my address and phone number and offered to pay the postage for mailing them to me. Two weeks later I called when the retainers did not arrive and was told they had been too busy to ship them. They again promised to mail them to me. A week later I called and spoke to Will Munger who again promised to get them to me. It is now a month and half later and no retainers. What a sad joke. I'd held off writing a review and had planned to be more forgiving if they had sent the retainers as promised. Since all they did was cost me $300 to get them replaced I do not feel so inclined.

If you are looking for a "nice" place to stay with your family in the Duluth, MN area I would not recommend the Willard Munger Inn.

Room Tip: pick a newer, different lodging
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011 via mobile

Great place and location. Very accommodating. Both staff and guests were helpful in helping my father to the hospital after his motorcycle accident. Thank you to all involved. Other pros include tbe zoo across the street, trail access and good rates.
Thank you again.

• Stayed August 2011
Saint Paul, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

I was excited to meet Willard Munger and learn the connection to the famous trail. I was very disappointed and utterly shocked at how rude he was. The place was not warm and welcoming. I would have been much happier at a standard motel/hotel and could have saved some money to boot.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Johnson City, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

A Minnesota friend told us about this place and the rate was okay, so we took it. The rooms are a lot better inside than the exterior would lead you to believe. However, Motel 6 and Super 8 would provide similar quality rooms at a lower rate. If it hadn't been raining and we had had the time to take out the provided bikes, I think it would have been worth it since there is a paved bike trail right outside their door.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
ellsworth, Wisconsin, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

Our stay here was not great. If you are staying here because of their offer of FREE ski passes at Spirit Mountain, take another look. They are not entirely included in the room rate like they make you think, and our bill was a lot more then we had thought it would be. Additionally, the 'Whirlpool' that was in our room spat out specs of rust every time we tried to use it. They gave us a very minimal refund for this inconvenience, and I would never recommend this motel.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

This was one of the best experience. The room was to die for! The bedding was fresh, the pillows plump, blanket feathered and large bath towels. I had the feeling that I was camping although we were nestled very cozily in our quaint room. The staff was great which made us feel welcome and relaxed upon check-in. We will stay here again before considering anywhere else.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Ashland, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

We stayed there for a week and it was very, very nice! We had a kitchen suite and couldn't believe how big our room was. It was great to have friends over. People are not aware that there is a lower level in the back which has beautiful flower and rock gardens. There is a big fire pit with lawn chairs all aound it to use as well as an electric grill right outside our door. It was the first time traveling with our Yorkie and there was lots of room out back for him to run, especially the Waterfront walking trail. Housekeeping was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast in the morning was yummy, waffles with fresh fruit. We met so many nice folks from around the country. Can't wait to book it for next year! Thanks, Mr. Munger.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Willard Munger Inn? Share your experiences!