“We loved it!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Breeze Motel Resort

Lake Breeze Motel Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Duluth
Lake Breeze Motel Resort
9000 Congdon Blvd, North Shore Scenic Drive, Duluth, MN 55804   |
Ranked #22 of 32 hotels in Duluth
Twin Cities, MN
“We loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

My family was in Duluth for UMD Family Weekend and decided to stay at Lake Breeze because it had a fabulous lakeview, a large cottage (really a house) for family to gather, and fairly inexpensive motel rooms. It's about 10 miles from Duluth. It was a great jumping off point for heading up the shore to Split Rock Lighthouse and Gooseberry Falls State Park.

The accommodations were very nice.

A couple of us stayed in the single motel rooms and they are typical, old style motel rooms. A bit small, but very nice - the bathrooms and carpeting were super clean. I felt safe walking around in barefeet. The rooms have a small refrigerator, a microwave and TV with limited channels, two nightstands and two side chairs. The beds are a bit on the firm side, but comfortable. Linens and beadspread were extremely clean. The rooms have individual decks with a couple of chairs.

The cabin/house was awesome! A great place for our family to gather. It has three bedrooms - two with one double/queen bed and one with 2-twins. Two bathrooms. Full kitchen and dining room. A great living area on the front side facing the lake with a fire place (they provide the wood)! There are a few foutons/hide-a-beds around for extra people and there is a "library" off the living room with a fouton that could work for a 4th bedroom. There is a huge deck off the front with lots of chairs. This cabin also has it's own private campfire ring next to it. Note: Some that slept in the cabin said the highway was noisy.

The office has a cute little gift shop and also sells ice for a buck!
There was a little mix up in our reservation, but that was mostly our fault as we changed it a few times. It all worked out in the end. We had a good experience with the owners.
There is a bench across the road on the lakeshore and a rough path down to the lake.
Our family plans on going back to Lake Breeze every fall while the kids attend UMD.

One strange thing.... I was walking back to my room one morning and saw two women leaving the room. I assumed that they were the housekeepers but when I entered my room there was a strong smell of cigarette smoke and nothing was cleaned - the rooms are non-smoking. When I returned later in the day my trash was emptied, but the bed was not made, which would have been nice.

Room Tip: See review.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Vadnais Heights, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

It was nice to get away one last time before the kids went back to school. We stay at Lake Breeze Resort. It was nice to know that the owners have quiet time for families. We have stayed at other resorts, but were not happy because people would be up late and keep our children up with the noise. It was enjoyable to sit out at night and watch the ships go by, my husband and I felt it was cozy and peaceful there. We will definately be back. Thanks for making this a family established environment. You don't find that offend anymore.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011 via mobile

Owner is a JERK ! We booked 99% of the resort for a weekend w several families - he Yelled at the kids for running around 'being kids' came to our bon fire and flipped out on us adults for talking and playing music. when we asked who we were disturbing he couldn't answer and told us that he needed his sleep. Excuse me who's the customer ??? Great location, but, we and several other families WILL NEVER COME BACK !!! Wow nice customer service !!

• Stayed August 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Lake Breeze is located on the "scenic route" on the Northern outskirts of Duluth. We like it so well we've come back now several summers in a row. There is so much to do without leaving the resort: mini-golf, swimming, and a playground right outside our cabin door. No extra charge for any of these amenities. A variety of sports equipment is available for free checkout as well: volleyball, badminton, soccer. For rainy days a variety of games and puzzles can be checked out and for a small fee videos/DVDs if needed. Our children enjoy the lodge with its "play school/blackboard" set up and foosball. We've stayed in the smaller one bedroom units (#12 & 15) and a larger unit (#7). Both offer clean, comfortable living quarters with refrigerators, microwaves, and stoves. As our children have gotten older we've found the larger unit better meets our needs. If you like to cook outside a grill is offered, with charcoal and lighter fluid provided and a picnic table as well. No need to bring wood for the campfire as this is provided as well. Cross the road and hike down by Lake Superior or just watch from your deck as the big ships make their way into Duluth harbor. We found Lake Breeze to be a relaxing place to hang out with family. Paula and Ken, the owners, have become like extended family to us. Great service, great resort. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Rooms 9-15 offer the best views. Of the bigger units 6 & 10 offer a more open area floor plan wi...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Minnesota, St. Paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

I have been staying at Lake Breeze for the past 5 years. The resort is in a great location, the room i stayed in was room 15 great view of the lake which you can see the ships that are coming into port. I had seen another post on here that was not very good, I did not have the same experience they did. I have had them ask me to move to a different room before and had a no problems with it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Central MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

BOY! Where to begin? My family and I have stayed at Lake Breeze a number of times over the past 12 years, and we've had a simple, yet mostly enjoyable experience. That's why we chose to make it our place to stay for an extended trip to Duluth during a monthlong job my DH had up there. WHAT A MISTAKE!!! I called once about a month before going to see if they did monthly rentals. I was told by the owner yes, they did. So he gave me a quote,told me the room we wanted (2 beds in a bedroom, futon in the LR) slept up to 6, so I told him we'd be in touch when we had exact dates. and that was that. Called about 2 weeks before our stay, went to book, and he told me he had the room, but we'd have to move out of the room the weekend of MEA on that Friday as he had it rented, but he'd put us up in a room just like ours with 1 additional bed. I agreed, and took that day off so I could go up and move us and clean if necessary, etc. So my husband gets there the first night, goes to pay, and he sees he works road construction (which I did mention the first & second times I called, and it wasn't an issue.) My husband had 2 other friends that were staying with him while the kids and I were gone on weekdays (with our family of 4, that's still only 6 of us MAX at any time.) My husband was told when he got there that since he works road construction, there's a 2 per room max due to issues they had with pipeline workers before. My husband and his friends were ticked, cuz they planned on staying together to be cost effective, but 2 of the guys branched off & rented another room for the month, too. They were told there may be a weekend or 2 they would have to move their things out because he had them rented, so they asked if they could bunk in with my husband if that happens, the owner said I guess. So started our stay.....

The room was okay, not clean, unless you consider spiders & cobwebs in corners company. But it would work for us, after all, we wanted to be there to reminisce of when our kids were smaller and to take in the view of the lake. Our first red flag happened when our daughter got the stomach flu one night, so my DH asked at the front desk where they would like the sheets, so they didn't have to handle them. They told us, "you're monthly, it's your problem." My DH thought "weird, but ok." and went to town for quarters and laundry soap & washed them himself. Then, the weekend before MEA, we had heard from a few of the guys they'd been having cancellations, so to check & see if we still had to move that Friday, otherwise I could work instead. So I stopped in at the office by myself to see if we still needed to move. I was told "Yes, and you're moving tomorrow, too!" I said, "OK, well, we were told we'd be moving once on Oct. 22nd, and I took that day off to do that, but I don't think we can do tomorrow." My DH works about 80 hours a week, and didn't have time off coming. He said "well you have to. You'll be moving into room 14 til you move again Friday, then into a 1 room apt." A 1 room apt? That's LESS beds than before! Huh? So I asked if they could rent the bigger room (14) to the others that were coming in & are supposed to move into our room, I was told "No, they're staying a week and a half. And they pay $129 a night, you pay $21, so they get the room!" What the heck??!!?? We rented a room for a month, starting Sept 29th, until October 29th, and we even agreed to move to a different room for 1 weekend, and I took time off from work to do it!!! So I told him I'd let my DH know, and left. This was on our anniversary, and we had planned a relaxing dinner out by ourselves after he was done with work...needless to say that went right down the crapper! So the next morning, after being up all night wondering how the heck we were going to get everything moved with DH's work schedule, we both went to the front office to see if there were any other options. We were screamed at, swore at, and told even more lies! He even called us (on a number of occasions) "you damn construction workers!" Used our good Lord's name in vein, & tried to tell us we have no rights, and we should just be happy to have somewhere to stay. After listening to him have a breakdown in front of us, screaming & flailing his arms the whole time, we told him that's fine, but what he has us going into won't work for us, and if he wants us "damn construction workers out", give us half of our rent back and we'll be on our way. He had to sit & try to figure out the math (let's see, you were here 1/2 a month, at $650/month, half would be $325?!?!!!!!!) and still shorted us about $80. We went back, grabbed all of our stuff as fast as we could, and went somewhere where our business was APPRECIATED, and we became the customer again, instead of someone to scream & swear at! MAN, that was the best move we'd made on our whole escapade up there! If we would've known how much less stress it would've been to move, we would've done it WAY ahead of time.

After we had moved out, a few others came to us & told us that, when they'd had a chance to go home on weekends, someone had removed their things, rented their rooms out, and put their stuff back also, what the ???? Isn't that ILLEGAL!?!?!!! The group we were there with even went out and bought cleaning supplies and a vaccuum to keep their rooms up and this was the thanks we all got!?!!!?? WOW!! And did I mention our bag of charcoal came up missing, too, from in our LOCKED room?!?!??? Hmmmmmm.....

Do yourself a huge favor, stay at BOB"S CABINS!!!! Their much nicer, better kept, closer to the lake, and have about the same amneties for less money and NO HEADACHE!!!

As far as the owners of Lake Breeze, may the Good Lord whose name you used in vein be there to save your lying soul when your day comes, my friend....

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Black River Falls, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

This was a nice place to stay. The location is a few minutes from the downtown area, but even with road construction it only took a few minutes to get around. Sitting on the front deck you get a great view of Lake Superior. We had great views of several large ships coming in. There is a little playground area, a pool, a fire pit, mini golf, and a ladder golf game (which we spent a lot of time playing). Each room comes with a grill and charcoal and lighter fluid are free. There is even a washer and dryer on site. The room was nice sized and well stocked with pots, pans, silverware, and even a corkscrew. The rooms are decorated with a nautical/cabin feel and the bathrooms were really clean. My only complaint was that the couch cushion, throw pillows, and the bed quilt had some stains on them. Also, when I closed the curtains at night they smelled kind of musty.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Lake Breeze Motel Resort? Share your experiences!