“Poor customer service/gave my room away!” 1 of 5 stars

Cape Superior Inn
5133 North Shore Scenic Dr, Duluth, MN 55804   |
Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Duluth, Minnesota
“Poor customer service/gave my room away!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My room was given away without my permission despite being reserved with a credit card AND getting a confirmation email. Terrible customer service over the phone. They left me a voicemail asking if I still wanted the room, and by the time I called back 3 hours later (because I was at work and couldn't answer my phone), my room was already given away to someone else! Will never attempt to rent a room here again. I do not understand how this can even happen.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Kim G, Manager at Cape Superior Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Hi:
My name is Kim the Manager of Cape Superior Inn. I am responding to a reponse about the person stating that I gave her room away even though she reserved it with a credit card.
I am going to tell you the actual facts of the situation.
Jenna called and wanted to reserve a room for a wedding that was being held next door to our Motel. She called and wanted to reserve 1 night. I stated to her back then that on certain occasions we require a two night minimum. She really didn't want two nights but she would reserve the room. I'm not sure the exact date after she reserved the room that she called Cape Superior Inn and wanted to cancel one night. I stated again to her at this time that it was a two night minimun and that she either kept her reservation for the two nights or I could cancel it. She at that time stated that she would keep it.
Again a few days ago Jenna called and wanted to cancel one of the nights. After reviewing all the information I contacted Jenna by phone and explained to her again that it was a two night minumum. She stated to me at that time that she would talk to a friend to see if she could stay with him. I asked her what the guests name was and she told me. I looked into the reservations and explained to her that the room he had was only for two people only and that she could not share with him. She then stated that she would talk to me and get back to me. I stated to her at that time that she had to call me back the next day by 10AM with a decision since I had a waiting list. SHE AGREED. The next morning as a reminder I called her at 8 AM and left her a message that I needed confirmation that she still wanted the room for the two nights. If not I would let the guest on the waiting list have it. She did not call me by the 10 AM guide line as agreed the night before.
She called me back at 11:40 AM complaining I had given her room away. I explained to her that I had given her a deadline and she did not contact me by the agreed time so the room was given to the next guest on the waiting list.
Jenna knew that the reservation was for two nights. Even when she made the reservation she stated she did not need the two nights but reserved it anyways. Then again after that she tried cancelling one night and again I told her it was a two night minumum for that weekend. Then again this last time she tried again to cancel one of the nights.
I am the Manager of the Motel and I am the only one doing the bookings. I feel that she tried to call different times and hoped she would get someone to cancel the one night like to wanted in the beginning. Now when that didn't work she is complaining. She is the one that tried cancelling the reservation not me. If she would have just left the 2 night reservation like the orginal reservation she would not have had this problem.
That being said.... I still tried working with her. She stated that maybe her friend could share a room with her. I actually contacted another one of our guests to see if she was willing to move to a smaller room. That guest said yes that would be fine with her.
So I contacted her but received no answer. I then emailed her and stated that it was to bad there was a miss communication but If she still wanted to share with her friend I had a bigger room and she was welcome to stay with us.
I had contacted her friend and he also agreed he had no problem sharing his room.
Then about 15 minutes later when I talked to her friend he called me back and stated to me that Jenna did not want to stay here she found another room. He said he tried and I thanked him.
I then received a phone call from Jenna about 15 minutes after talking to her friend. She stated that she found another place to stay. I explained to her that I had a room if she wanted and she stated that she had found another room.
This would never have happened if she hadn't tried to cancel one of the nights a few times. Jenna knew that it was a two night minimum for the weekend.
I as the Manager try really hard to make everyones stay here a happy one. It is to bad that no matter what you do you cannot please everyone.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Chadron, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I love this place! I spent hours online trying to find a place. We decided to just wing it and happened upon this place. This is not a new place but very comfortable and the best view of Lake Superior.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor, great view. No swimming pool.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Moline, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Dirty, smelly outdated, room not as pictured, clerks not available, refused to refund money for night not used. There was no phone in the room, windows drafty and heat was minimal. TV got one channel. coffeepot had leftover coffee pack in it, microwave was filthy on top and sides, I didn't want to touch anything and kept shoes on the entire time.
Hair was in the bathroom sink as was some kind of debris, shower old and gross, Clerk available from 10-9 NOT 24 hours.
No ice, decided to leave and find another place to stay and clerk refused to refund the money as she took the money up front.

Room Tip: Avoid, this review will probably be removed. Do your homework. no wonder AAA or BBB do not recomme...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kim G, Manager at Cape Superior Inn, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Hi:
I am the Manager of Cape Superior Inn.

Our office ours are 10 AM-10PM . I live on site. If our guests need anything they can come to the office within our office hours.

The customer called me and we made a reservation on line. He gave me his email address so that I could send him confirmation of his registration. On that confirmation page it states what our policies are. We have a 24 hour cancellation notice.

When the guest made reservations he booked for 3 days and 2 rooms. At this time I gave him a 10% discount because he was staying with us for 3 days and 2 rooms. This discount was a total of $64.00.

When the guest checked in he thanked me for the discount. I told him we were happy to have him.

After about 20 minutes he came back in the office and stated that his room was dirty and that he wanted housekeeping to come and clean it. I told the guest that I would go with him right then and I would like to see what the problem was. We both left the office and went to the room together.

When I walked in the room the guest pointed out the microwave and the fridge. I went over and looked at it and yes the housekeepers did not clean it properly. He then had me go to the bathroom because the sink was dirty. The sink looked like it needed to be wiped clean.

So I apolizied to the guest and I told him that I would clean it myself. He said that would be great. I even said that I would give him a refund for the housekeeping issues. He said that he didn't need one that it would be fine if I could just clean it.

The next day I personally went in with another housekeeper and we took out the garbage ,dirty towels, replaced the dirty towels with clean ones and made up one of the beds. On one of the beds was a suitcase. Our policy is not to touch anything if it is on the bed and we wont make up the bed.

On the 3rd day the guest came in the office with the other guest who was staying.
The guests said that since the weather was raining and not very nice that they were going to check out 1 day early but they wanted the refund for that day.

I pointed out to both of the guests the time. It read 10:35AM. They wanted to get their refund for the 3:00 PM checkin. I stated to both of the guests that we had a 24 hour noticie for cancellation and that between the time now 10:35AM and 3PM checkin was 4 hours and 35 mn. That did not give us 24 hour notice.

At that time one of the guests got really nasty with me and threating me. He screamed at me demanding to see where he signed we had a 24 hour notice cancellation policy.He yelled at me demanding a refund.

He stated that if I wanted to play that game, he could to. I stated to the guest very calmly that I was not playing any game and that our policy was a 24 hour notice. He then stated that he would turn us in to the Better Business Bureau. I told him if he felt he had to he could but I would responde to his complaint.

When I would not give him a refund he complained about the housekeeping. He said no one came in and cleaned up the second day. I told him directly that he was lying because I personally cleaned it with another housekeeper.

This guest was very hostile when I would not refund his money. He was very threatening towards me.

Yes, we had a housekeeping issue. It was corrected and the guest was satisfied. Now when he could not force me to give him a refund because of the bad weather he gives us a bad review.

This customer stayed with us for 2 days. If he was so unhappy about our Inn he could have checked out right away and I would have refunded the full amount. He stayed 2 days and on the 3rd day he didn't like the weather so he was checking out and wanting a refund.

No I will not refund him any money. He was very discourteous and hostile towards me.

I am sorry that we could not satisfy this customer but I do have to go by the policies that we have.

Kim-Manager of Cape Superior Inn
Rochester, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is the perfect place if you want to get away from the craziness of the Duluth harbor. The view couldn't be better and the restaurant next door is top notch. A few updates may be in order, but if you want top of the line, you'll pay for it and it's the view that will keep me coming back every time.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the second floor because the view was unobstructed.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Duluth does not have an abundance of reasonably priced lodging, especially during a Saturday night during peak fall color. I was happy to find this for $100/night- no breakfast. It is relatively quiet as far as road noise, since it is on old Highway 61 and so near Lake Superior you could here the waves rolling in. Unfortunately, the Clearwater Grille next door (shared parking lot) was busy until nearly midnight. The motel itself was clean but dated.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kevin S, Manager at Cape Superior Inn, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for posting! The night you stayed was a bit busy next door, since they had two large wedding receptions. Most of the nights are not like that, and I hope that you give us another chance in the future. We are working on upgrades to all of the rooms, to get them out of the 70's decor. Hope to see you again soon!
Plymouth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed in Cape Superior Inn, September 2012 end.
The Motel is quiet and clean. The room we stayed in had a working kitchen, TV, Sofa and 2 bedrooms. The toilet was functional and clean.
The best part of the motel is the view, its awesome.
There is a restaurant next door, but we did not eat there.

Room Tip: All rooms face Lake Superior, its awesome
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for posting! While we may not have all the amenities of the chain motels, but we do have the "million-dollar" view at a reasonable price. Thanks for staying with us! Hope to see you again in the future.
Tomahawk, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Cape Superior Inn reminded us of a European Hotel. The room was small as was the bathroom and shower (shower head too low for a taller person). Our room was decorated very nicely, not the standard hotel decorations. The room was clean and comfortable. Check in was friendly and efficient and our request for extra pillows was handled courteously. The rooms have outside entranced and exterior stairs. There is no air and no cable or satellite tv. This hotel is about 12 miles from downtown Duluth but has the advantage of having a very nice view of Lake Superior across the highway.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kevin S, Manager at Cape Superior Inn, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us! Some of the rooms do have satellite TV, but not all, and I'm working to rectify this. I hope you stay with us again soon!

Been to Cape Superior Inn? Share your experiences!