“Gem of a B&B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ellery House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duluth
The Ellery House
28 South 21st Avenue East, Duluth, MN 55812   |
Ranked #6 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Gem of a B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Ellery House for a week to relax, visit the hawk migration, enjoy the magic of Lake Superior. We have stayed at the Ellery House before, three years ago, and loved it. We loved it this time, too! Jim and Joan are excellent hosts, and the house is simply gorgeous. We stayed in Daisy's Suite, which has a sun porch with a beautiful view of Lake Superior, and a generous sized bathroom with a lovely clawfoot tub set underneath gorgeous stained glass windows. We really felt at home, and were sad when it was time to leave. We will definitely return, hopefully soon!

Absolutely would recommend this B&B for couples.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are charming, but our favorite is Daisy's Suite because of the wonderful sun po...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Not providing a good value for the price and not being kept up - needs to be freshened up - looking a bit worn and tattered. Not the best location - on a busy noisy street. Plus got sick after eating the cream cheese egg bread pudding and bacon for breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Last week, I jumped in the car for an impromptu trip to Duluth to do some exploring of historic homes and to view the beautiful Tiffany windows in a couple of the churches. I had no specific plans and, on the way, looked into the reviews for the B&Bs in Duluth. After reading the reviews, I selected The Ellery House -- and I'm so glad I did!

This turn-of-the-century home has 2 guest bedrooms and 2 guest suites. I selected one of the bedrooms as I was traveling alone. The Thomas Wahl room is beautiful with a working gas fireplace, a large bay window plus side windows that opened to the beautiful breeze, and a view of Lake Superior. As mentioned in other reviews, the bathroom is small (toilet and shower) with a sink in the bedroom. However, it was fine for me and the water pressure was excellent!

As a guest, I had the run of the house where fresh cookies, port and sherry, coffee and tea were available 24/7 along with little jars of nuts and candies scattered around. The owners live in a separate carriage house on the property, and the only occupant of the house (aside from the guests) is a lovely and gentle cat named Lena.

Jim (owner) called as I was driving into town to let me know I could arrive early and he greeted me at the door. Obviously knowledgeable about the area, he had lots of recommendations for things to see and places to eat, and was always chatty and cheerful whenever we happened to meet.

Breakfast was incredible -- there is just no other word for it! Given the option of eating in the dining room with the other guests, or having your meal served to you in your room, it's hard to resist having it delivered to you when you have such a wonderful view out your window! One day it was baked french toast with maple glazed bacon. Another day it was an egg and ham souffle with home-made rhubarb muffins. Both breakfasts were accompanied by a beautiful display of fruits, along with juice and coffee or tea. A breakfast that would easily hold you for the entire day!

Parking is plentiful and the only slight negative is the fact that 21st Street is a somewhat busy thoroughfare so there can be some noise.

I will absolutely stay here again when I'm in the area and will recommend it to everyone I know!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thunder Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

If this place is ranked 5th in the city then the other 4 must be unbelieveable -- arrived on time to be greeted by the host -- since we had been to the city many times before no need for references to where to eat -- Beautiful house -- sherry and port left out as was any type of coffee or tea that you wanted 24/7 -- we had the ellery room -- saw 2 of the other rooms and this one was by far the best -- had both a shower and a lovely bath tub -- water pressure lacking and very slow to fill up - but again it is a turn of the century house -- and despite that still wonderfull -- -- the breakfast was incredible -- brought up to our room to eat in our sun room -- the fruit plate was incredible and a lovely egg, bacon quiche -- Probably the best B and B experience all in all

Room Tip: the ellery room has both a separate shower and the large claw bath tub- has a sun room with a fire p...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Stanley, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed in the smallest,cheapest room they offer and it was more than adequate. The hosts are very interactive- even sat down with us at the breakfast table. The breakfasts were fabulous as was the conversation with the guests and hosts. We always enjoy strolling along the neighborhoods in Duluth, amongst all the mansions, when we stay at B and Bs there. We will definitely try to stay at the Ellery House again!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is a bed and breakfast with charming owners, great breakfasts - but lacking in space and tiny bathrooms with just toilet and shower. The sink is outside in the room. The mattress had dents where people had slept - not exactly comfy! I love pets, but would never allow a cat to jump on the table where people are eating breakfast. It is a cat - not a person..... and I'm allergic! Also no TV and still had Christmas decorations on the fireplace mantle. A lot to be desired in antiques and decor!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We loved everything about Ellery House. The rooms were beautifully decorated and had everything we needed; the bed was comfortable; Jim was a really great host giving us great food and sightseeing tips; and the breakfasts, wow! Without doubt some of the best breakfasts I've ever had everywhere. I mean homemade muffins featuring rhubarb grown in the garden? Come on! We stayed at the beginning of a three-week road trip around the Great Lakes and this was our favourite place hands-down - and by no-means the most expensive. We loved Duluth and adored Ellery House. I hope we can return one day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ellery House? Share your experiences!