“Michael Buble and More” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mathew S. Burrows 1890 Inn

Mathew S. Burrows 1890 Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duluth
Mathew S. Burrows 1890 Inn
Save Saved
You added Mathew S. Burrows 1890 Inn to your Saves list
1632 East First Street, Duluth, MN 55812   |
Ranked #7 of 11 Duluth B&B and Inns
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Michael Buble and More”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We booked to stay at the Mathew S. Burrows 1890 Inn as I much prefer B&Bs and the other reviews recommended it highly. We were not disappointed as we were made very welcome and the breakfasts were brilliant. The house is totally gorgeous, on a nice quiet street and we were able to park right outside on both nights of our stay.
We had travelled up to Duluth from the Twin Cities to see Michael Buble in concert. Having only visited Duluth for a few hours in the past, we decided to see more and stay for a weekend. I'm sure we'll go to stay in Duluth again and will not hesitate to book this lovely little inn all over again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Mont-de-Marsan, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

The Mathew S. Burrows B&B is a very recommendable one. Spacious rooms, quiet neighborhood, interesting homemade breakfast. Mr. Fink is a very friendly host.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
San Leandro, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We were out visiting family in the Twin Cities and decided to go see the color and what's going on in Duluth. We chose this Inn based on the reviews and reasonable prices. We stayed in the ballroom suite - it was literally the entire top floor of the house. You can easily sleep 6 people there with no effort. People have made comments about the wallpaper and paint peeling - it is so minimal that I couldn't believe they were mentioning it. Come on - it's an old house with boat loads of character. If you want stark/sterile/lacking any charm then I'm sure there's a chain hotel nearby that will gladly take your money. Breakfast was a treat - homemade stuffed french toast. The dinner recommendation to Bellisio's was AMAZING! I had the Shrimp & Asparagus risotto that was out of this world - creamy, flavorful and truly a memorable dinner. When we go back to Duluth - we are going to stay here without a doubt!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

My wife and her sister and our neice stayed here for 4 nights and I joined them for 2 nights after returning from a canoe trip to the Boundary Waters. It was nice to move into a luxourious house after 5 days in the wild areas near Canada. Art our host was very knowledgeble and made excellent breakfasts. All the guests at the dining room table provided good discussion. There were two honeymoon couples there during our stay. We stayed in the 3rd floor 2 bedroom suite. Our bedroom had a view of Duluth harbor from our bed. As advertised there were a number of porches and quiet areas to sit and read. Beautiful woodwork, it is definately a piece of Duluth's architectural history.

Room Tip: sorry didn't see the other rooms
Hadley, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

We decided to spend a night in Duluth at the last minute and went searching for a b&b via the internet. We liked the photos we saw of the Mathew Burrows Inn and the prices were a little better than other equally attractive b&b's. I called to ask some questions about the showers, since they sounded a bit antique on the internet descriptions. Right away, the owner, Al, displayed to me over the phone a really relaxed and sincere attitude, answering my questions forthrightly. I would have liked to book the "Master Suite," which looked quite beautiful, but, indeed, its shower wasn't quite what I wanted. Instead, we booked the "Rose Room" for $95 per night ($105 with taxes, etc). This room had a great shower. But more important, it--and the whole rest of the inn--was beautifully styled in an 1890's fashion. The bed was really elegant. The Rose Room feels a little small because a corner of it is carved out for the shower and sink--this is done in an elegant fashion. The whole place looks just great, even though it is slightly worn out. (Base boards could use a paint job in the Rose Room.) Also, there are wonderful houseplants clustered everywhere. There is a lovely porch and small gravel parking lot which feels nothing like a typical motel lot. The inn is located in a pleasant neighborhood which is on the quiet side, although the inn is a block from the fairly busy Superior Street. Al greeted us upon arrival and very graciously showed us around. Included in the tour was the kitchen, where a space in the fridge was set aside for guests, and baked goodies are served every evening. Then Al patiently answered our questions about where to eat dinner and how to get there. Driving downtown from the inn was snap. Breakfast was delicious and served in the stylish dining room. My wife wants to especially praise the blueburry muffins. One thing to watch out for--the window AC in the Rose Room was quite noisy. Fortunately, we didn't need it after dinner because the evening was relatively cool. All and all, a terrific value for an elegant and cordial b&b experience.

Vacaville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Duluth was our destination wedding locale. Bride and Groom took the upstairs suite. It's huge! (We even used the optional 2nd bedroom on the third floor and although you share the bathroom, there is so much space between the bedrooms, it is still quite private.) There was tons of room for all the ladies to get ready together.

We asked our closest friends who were coming from afar to rent out all the other rooms in the house so we had the place to ourselves for the weekend. Every guest room is very nice and comfortable, some are quite spacious. The beds are so cozy with great linens. The house was clean and I was surprised that there was housekeeping service every day- something I have not found at other B&B's.

We enjoyed the front porch and the back porch with it's charming swing. The dining room is gorgeous, with the prettiest stained glass window I've ever seen. Allan was a very acommadating and friendly host. The fridge was full of refreshments for us and there was always a sweet treat in the kitchen.

Breakfasts were ample with a fresh muffin, good coffee, and fruit salad along with an entree. My only complaint is that the entrees are heavy- a bit too rich and sweet for my taste. However, when I return, I believe I could make a request ahead of time to lighten it up a bit as he easily made our vegetarian guest a proper meal.

Bottom line, the home was nicer than I imagined it would be. It's very reasonably priced, conveniently located, and everyone enjoyed our stay.

(I will add photos soon.)

Room Tip: Master Suite has fancy spray all around shower that was a hit. Ballroom Suite has view of the lake a...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

My husband and I loved this B & B. Beautifully restored, friendly and helpful host, delicious full breakfast and walking distance (1/2 mile) from downtown and the Lake Walk. The only reason I did not give this top rating was the neighborhood it self was not entirely well maintained. No concerns just a mix of apartments, homes and some small business.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Mathew S. Burrows 1890 Inn? Share your experiences!