“A great place to visit around Christmas time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fitger's Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Duluth
Fitger's Inn
You added Fitger's Inn to your Saves list
600 East Superior Street, Duluth, MN 55802   |
Special Rate
Stay Midweek and Save
Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Twin Cities
“A great place to visit around Christmas time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

We love the charm of this old building and it's rooms. We've stayed here several times during Christmas and it's lovely. We've walked through the lobby other times when we can't find available rooms here. Every room seems to be quite different, but we're always pleasantly surprised with our rooms. My husband and I used to stay by ourselves, but now bring the kids. There are Christmas decorations and lights, bonfires and train rides and little shops connected with the hotel. It's fun to wander through the shops along the old brick hallways where there is something for everyone. There's a salon, wine shop, kids toy/bookstore, clothing, pub, and much more.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

My husband and I spent the night at Fitger's as part of a Lake Superior circle tour. Our room was lovely as was the view of the lake. We loved the hotel, the staff, the room. It was a welcome bit of luxury in our trip.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

I took my wife on a vacation to Duluth. We stayed at Fitger's Inn after seeing it rated so highly on Trip Advisor, and based on their claims of being a 4 star hotel. The valet parking was nice, the staff was very helpful and suggested some places to eat (Scenic Cafe - awesome, but pricey, and Belliso's - good, not great). The place had history, it was old, but charming. Everthing looked good until we opened our room and got punched in the face by the smell. It was weird, and if I had to describe it, I would say it smelt like old people...not to be rude...but it did. My wife complained of the bed, I thought it was fine, but agreed that the pillows weren't very good. I tried to get a drink later in the evening to take to my room, only to find out they didn't have a bar (no pool or whirlpool either - FYI). The continential breakfast was weak. Donuts, muffins, bagels, bars, cereal, juice, milk, and coffee...nothing hot, nothing you couldn't get at a gas station for a few bucks. The view was nice and the location favorable (however next time I would look to stay on the canal) but not worth the price of admission. I would not recommend this place to anyone. It is not a 4 star hotel or a #1 choice - even if it was a cheap place to stay.

You have been warned.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

My husband and I decided to stay here based on the reviews we read on here. It was all that I expected and even more! They have complimentary valet parking and are very friendly. There wasn't one person who didn't seem genuinely nice. We stayed in a "luxury" room the first night we were there but moved to a standard room for the rest of our stay. They made the transition very easy- We left the hotel around 10 a.m. and they brought our luggage and everything to our new room for us, so we didn't have to do anything.

The beds were really comfortable, the rooms were clean and everything was in place.

They offer continental breakfast and several blends of delicious Fitger's brewed coffee in a small breakfast room that overlooks the lake. Our stay here was just awesome! Oh, and we liked that there was no pool, that meant less children running around everywhere!! ha!

The only advice I would offer someone who is going to this hotel is to splurge for the lake view... It's a little more expensive, but definitely worth it because we were on the city side the first night and it got a little loud outside. The lake view is beautiful and calming. Would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

My family and I stayed at Fitger's Inn last month. We had been camping but decided to take a little break and enjoy a little side trip in Duluth. After calling a couple of hotels we checked into Fitger's. We were traveling with our dog and Fitger's was actually less expensive than the Holiday Inn. (Lucky us!)

The hotel is beautiful! Our room was really lovely and comfortable. It reminded both my husband and me of a Venice hotel we stayed in only MUCH less expensive. Some things we liked...great location, plenty to do, high ceilings, lovely decor, comfy bed with soft bedding, exquisite views, Aveda bath products, pay per view movies, video games for my boys, WI-FI...I could go on here...

The staff was wonderful. I felt a little self conscious as we were kind of dirty from camping. The front desk staff seemed truly happy to see us. Everyone we dealt with from the housekeeping to the front desk staff was courteous, friendly and proud of their hotel.

Can't wait to return to Fitger's Inn!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

This is a wonderful, clean, comfortable and luxurious hotel.

Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

We're supposed to like Fitgers--classy old building, lakeside location. I see it as a special occasion place. The rooms themselves are really very basic motel rooms inside a classic building. Not even very spacious. It makes a good Duluth destination, but if you are just passing through and need a place to stay, this is way too much money for what you get. Nice walking along lake, but if you had things to do in Duluth or wanted to be near the restaurants and shopping, this isn't in the ideal area. Reasonable prices in basement restaurant, but not very good food.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Fitger's Inn? Share your experiences!