My wife and I have stayed at Fitger's on two different occasions, one night in April, 08 and three nights in Jan. 09. Our expectations were exceeded on both occasions. Overall, the hotel is very clean and quiet. Both of our rooms (lakeside and city side) were very clean and came well equipped with Aveda products, plenty of towels, extra blankets and storage facilities. I agree with a previous reviewer that the beds are extremely comfortable. They even offer a pillow menu! The continental breakfast is above average and the views from the breakfast room can be stunning (weather permitting). The exercise facility was small but adequate for a quick workout. The lakeside location is perfect! It is only a short walk or drive to Canal Park and downtown Duluth. The onsite dining options are pretty good with Pickwick's being my favorite. The bars are fun and draw a mixed crowd. Unfortunately, the number of shopping options seems to have declined of late but we always find something we “need” in the TrailFitters store.
My only complaints with Fitger's are minor:
- The counter tops in the bathrooms are small and there is limited space to put your grooming items. A small table under or near the sink would suffice.
- I prefer a very dark room and had to frequently adjust the shades in our city side room in-order to block as much street light as possible. This wasn't much of a problem in the darker lake side room.
- The onsite mall could benefit from a small convenience store, although the front desk does sell some essentials.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gracing the shore of majestic Lake Superior, in Duluth, Minnesota, this premiere historic hotel is located within the renovated Fitger's Brewery, and is listed on the National Register. Feel pampered by classic European-style service, gracious hospitality, fine cuisine, and luxurious accommodations. Guest rooms and suites boast a wide array of character and personality. Many of the amenities available include balconies, fireplaces, skylights, whirlpool tubs for two, multiple windows, split-levels, 16-foot ceilings and spectacular views of the water. Enjoy a complimentary continental breakfast daily in the privacy of the original board room. The large complex is also home to three great restaurants, two night clubs, a micro brewery, day spa and salon, and many unique retail shops. In addition, the convenient downtown location offers direct access to the lakewalk and Canal Park. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Fitger`s Hotel Duluth
- Fitgers Hotel Duluth
- Fitgers Inn