“Wow!” 4 of 5 stars

Apple Valley, Minnesota
27 attraction reviews
“Wow!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This museum is part of a huge complex of little museums. We were confused at first as to what was going on...I don't think the signage or brochure info prepares you for this very well. Within "The Depot", there is a playhouse, art gallery, MN Veterans Museum, MN Forestry Museum, an Immigrant Waiting room, a couple other small things, a gift shop and the Railroad Museums. The Railroad Museum is downstairs. There are little store fronts set up with a good sized variety of antique goods in the windows...this sparked some conversation/education with my kids. A couple of the stores are open...the candy shop and the movie theatre, maybe the general store also, as a gift shop. The trains also start in this same room. Phenomenal. Several of the cars/engines can be climbed on or walked through. I wished there was a little more explaination as to the technological advances that made some things obsolete, making way of the new and improved. Regardless it was a great display! My kids loved it and we all learned something. There were more cars on the tracks outside...most of those could not be gone through, but it didn't really matter, since there was still plenty to see. One car was set up like a mini museum with a short film playing, and a tribute to James J Hill. Worth the timely read...very interesting!!! Over-all I'd highly recommend this for any age. We spent about 90 minutes with the trains. I would suggest leaving some time for the other displays within the depot also. The Immigrant Waiting Room was so interesting. Another short film was playing there and I regret not being able to view the entire thing...very interesting! The Vet tribute & Foresty Museum were great also. Each display was small, probably about 20 minutes worth of info (lots of pictures & reading...no hands-on for the littles), but so worth the time!

Willmar, Minnesota
3 attraction reviews
“Bummed at the price of this attraction”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We took a train ride so we were really excited to check out the museum afterwards, but quickly found out its an additional cost so we didn't do it.

Greendale Wisconsin
3 attraction reviews
“Free fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Great old artifacts of that bygone age. Great old firetrucks, pre-computer data center, and an old jail cell to lock up Dad.

Visited August 2012
Duluth, Minnesota
13 attraction reviews
“Visit if you love trains”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I give this place a very good BUT the self guided tour was a bit confusing. We were not given a guide to the museum when we came in. I retraced my steps and went to find one after seeing someone carrying one. We had bought a combination ticket for the train ride/museum the day before. Due to weather, we wanted to take the train ride on another day when weather was nicer. They had told us no problem--out ticket would be stamped to use the following day for museum. When we arrived, we found the date had been stamped incorrectly. The woman questioned us about it but let us in. We took the elevator to another floor which was office area I guess--just confusing at the beginning. Things were not clearly marked, etc. I think the place is on a limited budget. The train ride is 1 1/2 hour but a lot of that is changing tracks.

Visited May 2013
Crystal, Minnesota
9 attraction reviews
“Awesome experieince!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

What a great time this was! Seeing all of the old train cars and displays was wonderful!!! I loved seeing the old dishes that were used. It was very worth the price of admission!

Visited June 2013

Been to Lake Superior Railroad Museum? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Lake Superior Railroad Museum, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.