“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in Duluth
Chanhassen, Minnesota
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I read some not-so-great reviews of this place, but took a chance because of the location and because I was looking for a place that had separate bedrooms since we had a group of six with adults and kids on the trip.

We were impressed with the suite. It was a spectacular view, just 25 feet from Lake Superior. The suite had two bedrooms. A queen suite with a Jacuzzi tub (we didn't use it) and an secondary bathroom door to the bathroom. There was also a king bedroom (the only complaint was that it didn't have air circulating so the bedroom was a little stuffy). The living room had a nice leather couch that had a queen size sofa sleeper. The amenities were really nice: granite countertops, stainless steel fridge, dishwasher, stove, etc. Minor complaint: some of the carpet was worn in spots and some of the bedding was frayed.

The kids swam in the pool, which was nice. We missed out on roasting s'mores since we were downtown so long, but the kids didn't mind since they got to swim in the pool. It was a nice location.

We ate at the continental breakfast. Overall, a typical spread. Minor complaints: the coffee ran out quickly and didn't get refilled.

Room Tip: Corner suite was large and sunny
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The resort is lovely and the rooms are upscale. We had a first floor 2 bedroom(103 A and B) and you could have touched Lake Superior it was so close! The rooms were very clean, modern and the deck was really nice. It is a 2.5 mile walk to Canal Park which is too far in the cold or rainy weather and not safe late at night. The resort did not offer a shuttle and for the price they charged I would expect a shuttle service and that is why I gave 4 stars instead of 5. The cab ride was $10 plus tip . Overall lovely place if you want to drive everywhere.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This was the third time in the past 5 years we've stayed at Beacon Pointe and we were very pleased.

I was worried about the hotel itself given the recent poor reviews. But our experience was very different. They have posted that they are in the process of upgrading the rooms so it may depend on which unit you get. The room we were in was a one bedroom penthouse suite and it was lovely. It was not yet upgraded based on the pictures but the furniture was very nice and in good shape, the room and huge patio were clean and well maintained. The staff people were very helpful. We were able to check in early and use great bikes for free saving hefty rental prices at canal park. Breakfast was typical of traveler hotels, make your own waffles, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cereal and bagels etc. If I was just rating the physical property I'd probably give it 4 stars rather than 5 because it isn't a 5 star hotel but certainly equivalent to the chains available at canal point with much bigger rooms and a better location.

The reason I give it 5 stars is the location and setting. Beacon Point is about a mile north of canal point the tourist center of Duluth. It is situated right on lake with private access unlike what you can find in Canal Point. We watched a sailing regatta from our patio for hours. There are bright blue Adirondack chairs if you want to sit closer to the water. My daughter and I skipped rocks and played in the water without crowds of people around it's just so lovely and peaceful. The free bikes are great for visiting canal park and the beautiful parks and gardens in between.

There are a few hints I'd supply for future guests. It is hard to get down to the water. I'm guessing this is for some legal reason as none of the properties along the lake have any type of clear official access. Having said that there is a makeshift hand rail on the south end of the property for those wanting to climb down over rocks it's not hard. I'm mid 50s and I could do it with out a problem. However a much easier access is to walk to the south end of the property immediately south of Beacon Point and walk down to the lake on the outside of the small fence there is a well worn path in what appears to be public land it takes you right down to large smooth rock outcropping and from their you can walk all along the lake and back to a very large flat area in front of Beacon Point.

There is a variety of room shapes and sizes. Smaller and less expensive rooms "A" room shave the bigger patios, I would have been disappointed to rent a big room "B" and get a tiny patio so it's worth asking about room configuration when you. The biggest patios are in the Upper units and well worth it if you want to be outside and watch the stars. Some rooms have full kitchens others kitchenettes with sink, mini fridge and microwave again good to pay attention so you get what you want.

Room Tip: Call and discuss room availability, attributes and patios because there is quite a bit of variation...
Blomkest, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Check in went smooth and very quick. There really wasn't any personal conversation in the least with the customer service rep behind the counter. We were to be 6 adults and a 1-1/2 year old but ended up just 4 adults. We had the three bedroom condo. I was very disgusted at how dirty these rooms were. It was visible on the ledges of the tables along with the panel trim on the doors how dusty they were. I ran my finger on each of them and had a dust rabbit on my finger after each, yes not a bunny, a rabbit. The carpet was filthy and stained. When the little one ran around bare foot and climbed in the shower to hide. Muddy foot prints were left on the shower floor. How gross! We also had to try keep him from playing on the floor in the living area as much as possible due to the filth. I can’t imagine having a little one crawling in this mess. When we started looking around we found neon light up bracelets in the coffee table drawer from who knows when. Under the cushion to one of the dilapidated chairs was a newspaper from June 2nd. I wanted to voice my concern during our comings and goings but you barely got a smile from behind the desk. So I thought at checkout but again we were not even asked how our stay was, he just needed the credit card. I wish I would have taken my $1,100.00 else ware. The only thing we enjoyed at the resort was the view of the lake.
Thanks, Paulette A.

Room Tip: I would not stay here again until things cleaned up.
Storm Lake, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

First time staying at this resort in Duluth. Chose this resort to be a bit away from the "tourists" down in Canal Park area and to spend my 6th anniversary with my husband. The young gal at check-in was friendly and helpful. We got into our room and we immediately saw signs of wear on the carpets where it was coming up in strands, mold in the bathroom along the floor boards, dust on the night stands, and dirty fridge. The bedding was a bit dated as well and very unattractive. When we tore back the top blanket, there were long hair strands all over the next layer of bedding!! Ugh! Our sliding screen door kept coming off its track and we had to keep fixing it throughout our stay. Our toilet seat was loose and looked as if it was going to fall off. We questioned how long it had been since our room was checked on for cleanliness. The shower took forever to warm up with hot water. Some days we had to turn it on and leave it run for 10-15 minutes before it would even get hot enough to not shiver in there. We found some staff to be super friendly and others to be rude and made us feel as if we were inconveniencing them. One young male staff sat on his laptop at the front desk and acted annoyed when I asked him questions at the front desk. Isn't this your job to make my accommodation as pleasant as possible? Another middle aged male staff was amazingly nice and accommodated everything that we asked of him. He even pumped our bike tires up!! He also set up a firepit for us with S'Mores, etc. He was the best staff person we interacted with during our stay. This resort needs more staff like him. The breakfast was surprisingly simple and I've had better continental breakfasts at Microtel chains. It was 3 dry cereals, waffle maker, oatmeal, English muffins, bagels, 3 kinds of pastries, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, apples/bananas, juice, coffee, milk. I noticed that the coffee tasted differently every day and I question whether all the staff know how to make it properly. One day it tasted just like water, but colored...the other day it was really strong. The pastries were basically dry each day, maybe had something to do with everything laying out for 3 hours on platters? Would be nice to see some more hot items to make breakfast sandwiches with or biscuits and gravy, or more healthier options for the breads instead of processed white starches. Get some new items like whole wheat bread or granola to go with the yogurt or better fresh fruit options. Things we liked about the resort: loved our walk out balcony and view of Lake Superior. Loved the ability to use the bikes for free there at the resort. We took those down to Canal Park on 3 different occasions. Saved us the money to spend on parking down there. It was a quick 15-20 minute ride down to Canal Park on bike. We liked the free firepits with S'Mores. We did this 2x during our stay. We also "rented" a free movie from the front desk on our first night there and enjoyed that option as well. The property itself was nice looking, clean on the inside and outside parking lots. There was the option to park in the underground heated garage, but we didn't partake in that. Overall it was overpriced for what quality/condition the room was in, but it didn't get in the way of us to continue to have a nice visit in Duluth.

Room Tip: Higher level rooms may be more quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed in a one-bedroom penthouse and paid a lot for the room. The furniture in the living area showed definite signs of wear. The bed linens were old and worn. The kitchen did not have adequate silverware and dishes--there were only two dinner forks and two salad forks. When I mentioned this to the front desk, I was told that sometimes people move things from one unit to another and housekeeping does not always catch it. We were not given more. The continental breakfast was very basic.
A picture and information on the website led us to believe that the hotel had kayaks for guest use. This was a big reason we chose the hotel. When we inquired about using the kayaks at check-in, we were told that the kayaks had been moved to another resort owned by the same company. We did enjoy the use of the hotel bikes.
Our little balcony had a great view of the lake. Unfortunately, the guests below us were smoking out on their lakeside patio and all the smoke wafted up to us. We could not even open our windows to enjoy the lake breeze. I know other resorts on the north shore restrict smoking to the parking lot side of the building for this very reason.
Bottom line: If you are going to charge high-end prices, provide high-end accommodations.

New Prague, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We were so looking forward to revisiting Beacon Pointe to celebrate our anniversary. Upon arrival we found our room to not be the one we booked and when asked to move were told there was nothing available, yet nobody really even tried to help! The staff was cocky and pretty much useless. We were provided with only one coffee cup, and when we asked for another one, the front desk didn't seem to know where to find one. There was only one mirror in the bathroom, no dresser drawers or even a closet to put our clothes. The carpet was so dirty we kept our shoes on the entire time. The bedding was old and outdated and there were hairs in our jacuzzi tub so we didn't even attempt to use it. If you were hungry for boughten Danish then the breakfast was great but unless you got down there at 7am, there wasn't much of anything left. We were lucky to even get new towels, we always had to ask. There was no way down to the "shore" unless you were great at scaling rocks, and the "beach" itself was nothing but crushed rock. So sad. We had previously told so many people about Beacon Pointe and were so looking forward to it, but honesty.....never again. Too bad....it could have been something GREAT! Also, I inadvertently left my cell phone charger behind and called as soon as I realized it. The front desk was going to look for it and call me back. I know where I left it, it's now been an hour with no return call, and our room was 3 rooms from the front desk. Go figure.....

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Laura R, Front Desk Manager at Beacon Pointe Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
We appreciate every guest stay and believe that each and every experience with us should be all positive. We apologize that your expectations were not met, and if you’ll give us the chance, we would like to try and make it right. Please contact the General Manager Chris Gaylord through the resort’s “Contact Us” web page. We would appreciate hearing from you directly and encourage you to get in touch. Thank you for being our guest.

Been to Beacon Pointe Resort? Share your experiences!