“Nice but overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #34 of 81 things to do in Duluth
More attraction details
Owner description: The only aquarium in the U.S. that focuses on freshwater exhibits, this three-story waterfront structure is ready for public viewing after a year and a half and almost $34 million. Plenty of interactive exhibits and re-created habitats are fun and educational for children.
EAU CLAIRE
7 attraction reviews
“Nice but overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Very nice aquarium for seeing Great Lakes fish and others but way overpriced. It was much smaller than expected. Our 6-yr-old daughter enjoyed the touch tanks and some of the hands-on activities for kids, including the wave machine. Unfortunately, many of the exhibits are informational, require a lot of reading, and are geared toward an older audience. These exhibits are well done and very interesting, but not going to be engaging to young children. We were lucky enough to be there for a sturgeon feeding in the touch tank - the museum staffer was very informative and gave a great presentation. And we even got to touch a small sturgeon, which was very cool since they have "armor" rather than the usual scales that most fish have. But my daughter was asking to leave after just one hour, so it did not feel worth the cost of getting in. For example, it costs $18 for an adult to get into the Minnesota Zoo which is huge and includes an aquarium plus many other animals, so $16.50 for this aquarium felt way overpriced. Plus, they charge $5 just to park the car, which really felt like a money-grab to us and added to an already-overpriced experience. I do not recommend this aquarium if you are on a budget, esp to families with young children.

Visited January 2013

Hugo, Minnesota
“The freshwater fish experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Excellent place to visit, especially on a cold winter day. Great view of the harbor and lift bridge. Spent a couple of hours experiencing the exhibits. Somewhat pricey, but our senior discount helped.

Visited December 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 attraction reviews
“Nice display but high priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This was a nice display but not quite up to what I had expected. The displays and creatures were nice but not as extensive as I had hoped. The glass waterwall although obviously expensive was dirty and not impressive. We completed touring the empty place in 25 minutes without skipping any part. We think that this is a good destination of bus loads of school kids but for senior citizens like me the concrete floors and lots of walking took their toll on my feet. Even at the Senior discount rate I thought it was very overpriced. I would not visit it again.

Visited December 2012
Red Lake, Canada
9 attraction reviews
“A must see.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is a great place to bring the family. There is lots to see. My favorite is the Lake Trout tank. Buy some food and feed the various species of trout. It is a bit on the pricey side but this place is so unique it is worth the money.

Visited November 2012
Twin Cities, MN
6 attraction reviews
“It was OK but spendy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My 7 year old son really liked this place especially the interactive exhibits. I found the variety of exhibits to be informative, interesting and fun. However, I did find it to be too expensive for what is there. I would recommend it to others but only with discount coupons.

Visited October 2012

Been to Great Lakes Aquarium? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Great Lakes Aquarium, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.